Thread: Life B.P.

Life B.P.

So how many of you wore nylons when they were actually nylons? Before pantyhose were invented that is. Putting on the pantygirdle then the nylons. Many days in high school I wore nylons with a pantygirdle to school. Actually took me a bit of time to get used to the ideal of wearing pantyhose because I liked nylons so much.

I, too, started with pantygirdle and nylons. Usually stole the nylons out of my mother's bag where she kept them before washing. That was some feeling which can't be duplicated with pantyhose (as much as I love them). Usually the tighter the girdle, the better.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Tried pantyhose once. Nope. Gartered or thigh highs only.

When I first started to dress properly (not borrowing my sister's underwear) it was always stockings with a suspender belt. Sometimes these days during the colder months I switch to tights as they are a bit warmer to wear - but I still prefer stockings any day.
    Sasha

From the start I loved nylons and thigh highs. I hate panty hose because they are expensive and always tear or run when I struggle to get them on, plus the hassle of going to the bathroom with them.

I did as pantyhose were not around when I began wearing nylons. I LOVE my pantyhose!
    Hugs, Carole

I am old enough to say that I've done that, in fact I still have a dress that requires girdle, nylons and a bouffant slip.

Karen Sue

Platinum Member
    When I started wearing women's undergarments those were my mother's. She only wore stockings when she wore hosiery. So, it was a girdle and stockings. She had open bottom girdles with a side zipper. My choice of hosiery is still stockings or thigh highs. Right now I'm wearing a pair of stockings by Berkshire with a black garter girdle. A garter girdle with hosiery and a panty is a lot less confining than pantyhose.

At 4 or 5, RHT nylon stockings were my first experience in dressing, held up by Obg and garter belts. I still have some, but thigh highs are my standard. Love Hanes Silk Reflections. Not into pantyhose. I still enjoy girdles and nylons. Often wear them underneath. Brings back wonderful memories when slipping the on freshly shaved, lotioned legs. Fumbling with the garters is fun, too.

Mom had a selection garter nylons.holdups and pantyhose.
    The first time I dressed was in her pantyhose. My wife bought me my first garter nylons shortly after she caught me fully dressed. We were at a party (I was under dressed). My wife whispered in my ear that the garter clasps were showing through my pants. Went back to pantyhose for a while but they proved to be too awkward when I would need to use the facilities. I went to holdups.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    I started wearing women's undergarments those were my mother's. She only wore stockings when she wore hosiery. So, it was a girdle and stockings. She had open bottom girdles with a side zipper.
    Same for me, except my mom had Long Leg Panty Girdles (LLPGs). I loved the tightness of the LLPGs so much that I often put on 2 or 3, with the last one being the one that fit the tightest. I loved the compression, even though I could barely walk and certainly couldn't bend over wearing multiple LLPGs.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Always nylons.

When I was young pantyhose was just a novelty. The few that I had were very difficult to put on, they didn't stretch much. After putting one leg it was a struggle to put the other on. Even modern pantyhose are hard to put one. I wear them maybe a couple of times a year.

I once posted here that if pantyhose were common in my early years I would probably never become a CD. It's the nylons that changed my life forever.

Other items were only incidental in the beginning but eventually evolved as staple. I have nylons on all day except when bathing. I have owned thousands of pairs of nylons. After they are torn I use them for cleaning so I have nylons both on my legs and sometimes in my hands. See my motto on the left under my name. Pantyhose can never do it for me.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

My mom's girdles and stockings were among the first items I ever tried on. She was an early convert to pantyhose, but had several pairs of traditional non-stretch stockings left over that she never wore. They were actually too small a size for me, but that didn't stop me from trying them. I regret to say that I ruined a few in the process, but I don't think she ever touched them again, and probably didn't notice.

Decades later, in the late '90s, I went on quite the buying spree on eBay and acquired dozens of pairs of old, but unworn, classic stockings. Those lasted me many years, but wear and tear have reduced my collection to just a few pairs now, mostly in unusual colors that I don't have an occasion to wear very often. In the early years, they were relatively easy to find and inexpensive on eBay, as many individuals used that marketplace to help clean out their closets of old and unwanted items. Unfortunately, over time, there have been fewer and fewer coming to the market, and the prices are now sky-high. I still avoid pantyhose and wear only gartered stockings, but have to buy them from contemporary sources like Berkshire and Secrets in Lace now. The quality, texture and fit don't match the classic non-stretch hose from the '50s and '60s, unfortunately, but they generally look OK when worn.

Cheryl's story reminded me that my girlfriend in the late '80s would always feel my legs for signs of the garter tabs when we got together. She didn't approve of my dressing fully but did like the feel of my stockings, and occasionally wore some herself.

- Diane

For me its nylons. I have a large collection of Rago open bottom girdles and love all of Secrets in Lace's products....
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I originally tried on my mothers nylons and never liked them. I was always attracted to tights and I now wear them all the time at home and the gym (lululemon leggings). Unlike a lot of women I never complain about wearing pantyhose.

I started with RHT stockings because that's what my mother wore, and that's what she gave me to wear at Halloween in 1958 and again in 1959. Throughout the sixties she continued to wear nylons, and so did I. I wear PH every now and then, but even today, I continue to wear real stockings on a regular basis.

Karen

Silver Member
    I wear girdles and stockings when I go out in public dressed. I am too young to remember "real" women wearing them (most women stopped wearing girdles by the 1970s), but I was able to see some in the Sears catalog and such and was enchanted by them. Worn them since I started dressing and could get my own clothes.

They still make RH&T and FF nylons, non-stretch like vintage nylons. Sadly, no one makes them in "outsize" (wide width) anymore.

Yep! Iremember it well, like it was only yesterday.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I remember trying on my mom's nylons and panty girdle when I was about 10 years old. In those days, nylons were held up with elastic snaps that were attached to the girdle. It was a wonderful experience to feel the sensation of the nylons cling to my legs as the snaps were secured.

When I saw Anne Bancroft putting on a pair of stockings and fastening them to her garter belt in the Graduate, I was hooked. Panty hose are ok but garnered stockings are the best

Aspiring Member
    Stockings over pantyhose any time with girdle, garter belt, or corset! Sherrii

I love pantyhose (over panties), but these days, women seldom wear them. I select clothes for an appearance that allows me to blend in with the, albeit shorter, women around me.

I also tried stockings and garter belt, but not as convenient as pantyhose. Thigh-high stockings are nice, in theory, but for me anyway, they don't stay up well.
    Mary