Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apprehensive about buying a purse.

Apprehensive about buying a purse.

I have purchased it all, bra's, skirts, pants, tops, wig(don't need anymore), panty hose, panties, stockings, over sized nails,shoes,make up.

But I couldn't click a button to buy a purse.

I didn't expect my reaction at all, the thought of carrying one made me feel I was going over board, how does this even make sense.

Enjoy this state of affairs while you can, Samantha. Once you own one purse, they seem to multiply.

It won’t be overboard once you realize that the only pockets you have in your clothes are too small to actually hold anything. If you leave the house at all it’s a necessity. Now if you’re looking at Michael Kors or Kate Spade or Coach bags, then yes that’s a little overboard for your first purse. But otherwise... it’s just a place to keep your stuff. Don’t overthink it.

Micki summrd it up well, it's certainly not overboard if you go out at all. Even if you don't go out it still helps complete the look.
    Last edited by Elizabeth G; 06-13-2018 at 09:07 AM.

I've had a tradition for decades that I buy my wife a purse for Christmas. Helped a lot in taking care of buying women's stuff for myself. Hugs, Michelle

It would be awkward at first to leaving it somewhere , because not use to carry a purse.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

As pointed out.You can ot go anywhere without a purse. You have to have something to hold things like your keys, identification, phone, lip stick, etc.The size is up to you and if you srart out small I am sure you will soon up the size. My first purse was one that my wife was going to give away. I now have six. Good luck

Samantha, Lipstick will melt in your pocket, you have to keep it in a purse.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

They are now a part of me, naked without one. True style and size are some what a personal taste thing. One rule though, shoes, belt and purse must match but it's not chiseled in stone.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I've been very lucky as my wife gave me several purses. I still only use one that I like and it has a strap that goes over my shoulder. You'll feel uncomfortable with it at first but as you use it to freshen up your make up you'll start carrying it more. I did see a GG though once that kept her spare lipstick just inside her bra, that would be a mistake here in this 100degree heat so a purse is a must.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I remember when I bought my first, and only, purse; I just went into the thrift store and bought it.
    And I've loved it ever since!

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I just bought one more! I believe that makes six! I bought most of them from J C Penney's! You have to have something to keep your "stuff" in as women's pockets are too small As someone said, they multiply rapidly just like shoes! LOL Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

My first one was really exciting when it came, but the second Coach one I scored for $30 on eBay I LOVE! Do it, you’ll be glad you did.

Easy to find a good used one cheap, at thrift stores, charity stores.

I have five, and to tell the truth, I've gotten so used to carrying one, that I miss it when I am in guy mode.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

You need a purse. You don't have anywhere else to carry things. Besides, purses are much more convenient than pockets. With pockets you have to load them every morning and unload them every night. And you're always forgetting things. With a purse, everything's right there all the time, and you just have to grab it and go. Get one with a separate pocket for keys, though. Searching for keys in a messy purse is a nightmare.

Albuquerque, NM (SE of there in mountain foothills)
    My first purse was not bought. A nicely tooled leather brown number. Found alongside the dumpster at my place of work, in fact. Empty, sadly some lady likely lost it and all contents due to theft or snatching. Great shape, no torn straps, so what is a "gal" to do? Re-purpose it, of course!

Did subsequently buy a small black purse, wally-world or wherever, more universally suited for a trip to Las Vegas

I'm the same way! I've bought everything, the whole works, but do not own a purse.
    It didn't even dawn on me until I went out one night and realized that like nearly every other woman had a purse.
    They seem super convenient and after reading other replies, it looks like once you go Purse it's hard to go back

DON’T buy a purse! You will live to regret it. I swear they are more addictive than crack cocaine. I think I have seven Coach bags at last count—no, eight if you count my go to work bag. And a couple of keychains I use as bag charms...And it all started with that first one, a simple brown Coach logo cross body. Then there was the white one, fantastic dress purse, then the grey one for every day use, and then the pink one for more casual outfits. Then the large red shoulder bag for work, and the purple tote for work, and the little black and blue cross body for evenings and parties...somebody keep me away from the clearance shelves at the Coach outlet store, please...
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

LOL, the responses really made me smile and chuckle..

I wrote out an entire response , but after reading the posts decided not to paste it.

I am going to buy a purse.

Going out very soon to a social event, my first one, I will keep everyone posted.

Love,

Samantha

Samantha,

We talk about people watching so just observe just how GG's interact with their handbags as we Brits call them.

Carrying a bag is one of those things that forms certain mannerisms that GG's have. Seeing a GG clothes shopping without a handbag is like finding hen's teeth. It's the unwritten law.

One thing you need to remember. When shopping and at the checkout, you must ALWAYS wait until the SA has rung up the till, wrapped all that needs wrapping, told you how much it is before looking in your bag to find your coin purse. No matter how long the queue behind you.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    One thing you need to remember. When shopping and at the checkout, you must ALWAYS wait until the SA has rung up the till, wrapped all that needs wrapping, told you how much it is before looking in your bag to find your coin purse. No matter how long the queue behind you.

It's true, there seems to be an unwritten law to this effect!

I was never apprehensive about buying purses. I just didn't know quite what to do with one when I carried it. I'd get dressed and grab an empty purse and try to think of appropriate things to fill it with. I didn't want to open my purse at the checkout counter and have only my keys, wallet and a lipstick. I also never quite knew how to carry it. Shoulder? Arm? Hand? How long should the shoulder strap be? Just a lot of things that made it awkward.

That all changed several years ago when I started dating a girl who was way into purses (for herself). She spent a lot of time shopping for them, and I started learning about them and and understanding the appeal. She bought me a purse (not a man bag) for me to carry in male mode. It was expensive, compared to what I had typically spent on purses. I knew if she spent that much on it she was serious about me carrying it a lot. That was the impetus for me to start carrying a purse almost all the time outside of work (where it stays in the car). I don't have a ton of them, but the ones I have are very nice. As I got used to carrying one, figuring out what to carry in it was no longer a problem. I carry as much junk as most GG's. I carry the same purse in male mode as well as female mode, so even in male mode I have makeup, etc., which I think is kinda cool. It's become sort of my thing. Carrying one is more than just carrying an object. At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, it's kind of an experience. Maybe more so in male mode. I've been known to cycle out of personal trends like this, but I haven't even come close to cycling out of this one.

Quick story... I had been carrying a purse for several months in male mode and got to wondering if I had taken this a little too far. I started to wonder if even though my gf bought me my first, was this whole "carrying a purse as a guy" thing wearing a little thin. One day when we were going out I purposely left my purse on the kitchen table. I went to the car a few minutes before her, and when she came out she was carrying it and said matter-of-factly, "You forgot your purse". I haven't wondered since. I love the occasional comments and compliments. I especially love that it's become a shared thing between my gf and I. It is so much fun to go into a department store and descend on the purses and shop and compare and try on. It's much more than just a place to carry my stuff.

As Micki_Finn noted women's cloths don't have many functional pockets, and I didn't even know about lipstick melting I bought a smaller purse (at the local thrift store) for my wallet, phone, car key/fob, makeup, and was surprised how quickly it filled up. I bought a little bigger purse and then learned the joys of searching through every zippered pocket and compartment looking for something specific. Get a purse, you need it. Then take a picture of it and share it with us

I've been toting a purse for over 20 years always in male mode (DADT). Only one adverse comment and my wife read the riot act to the guy who made the comment. On several occasions, men and women have commented positively and where I bought it. Go for it!