Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Apprehensive about buying a purse.

Banned Read only
    Girl you need a purse or a bag because women's poxkets are not meant to hold anything, there just there for decoration.

Having been out with a handbag, how the world evolved that woman have a bag to put stuff and men don't is totally illogical...
    I've actually been giving that some thought lately, and I wonder if it's a recent (20th century) thing or older? Whether pockets were a male fashion that just developed, in a similar way to the development of the wristwatch instead of the pocket watch. Or perhaps pockets developed back in the days when men were expected to keep both hands free for manual labour, or fighting (e.g. soldiers), duelling (gentlemen and cowboys), etc.

Manbags were a thing in the 80's IIRC. My older brother had one, and no-one would ever think there was anything effeminate about him.

I do find it amusing that a manbag could be called lame on a CD forum

Michelle

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Having been out with a handbag, how the world evolved that woman have a bag to put stuff and men don't is totally illogical... i so often have to take soem kind of jacket even when its hot as I have nowhere comfortable to pout my keys and wallet! and No I am not going to take a manbag they are totally lame...
    In the summer when it is too warm for a jacket with pockets, my day to day androgenous appearance in leggings or womens skinnies needs a bag for phone, wallet and keys. The ones I have are the most manly part of my appearance, not lame at all me thinks. They are all heavy canvas cross shoulder bags, quite small and 'military' looking if you know what I mean. Lame.... ooo the cheek of it

The only apprehension I have about buying a purse is if it is too bloody expensive. :-)

I suggest try a thrift store, buy two or three , big long strap over the shoulder type, a small one and a clutch.

Take them home and get the feel of what they are like.

I have al three and the big shoulder one carries my camera and all my acquired rubbish, the small one carries makeup and cash and is good for shopping.

Very easy to leave in a shopping trolley.

The clutch is a minimalist item, lipstick two dollar bills and five pennies and a hanky, one that is not large enough to blow your nose. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    And this is one reason why I wear a pullover hoodie with a large two-handed "kangaroo" pocket in front.

Of course, these hoodies also go well with leggings -- in guy-mode.

Nah, back in my en-femme days, you *had* to have a purse! If you stepped out of the house for any length of time, that is.

Although I was never a purse-addict, I did kinda dig 'em after a while. Had about 5 or 6 at the peak. New, but nothing too crazy, price-wise... Just some department-store ones, on sale, which were perfectly fine, really. And IMO, you can end up going too big -- and certainly too small, which is worse! Think: Goldilocks.

Always gotta match it up with the general feel of what you're wearing, as well as the "occasion." Which is why you definitely end up with more than just one or two, in various colors/sizes/styles.

Anyway, as for *why* the OP ran into their predicament? I'd say that in some way, it's taking things "to the next level." You're moving from just the static look... To the facsimile of an actual, functioning, "active" GG who is going about her business & living life, as they normally do.

Yeah, I suppose that can be a bit, say, "unsettling," in some way?

And yes, you could get away with throwing your phone in your back pocket (if you're wearing something like stretchy skinny jeans... Just don't accidentally sit on it, LOL), with a women's wallet in your hands. GG's do that all the time -- *if* they're just running into the store real quick, or something.

Otherwise, yeah... You're gonna need one. Or a handful.

Put on your big-girl panties & suck it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Josie,Nothing odd about it. Watch a husband who's been tasked with holding his wife's bag while she goes into say a changing room. Try as he might, there isn't a masculine way to hold a handbag. Placing it on the ground is the only way to come close to looking butch with a bag.
    Appearing to not give a crap what anyone else thinks about you holding your mate's purse is the masculine way. Only juvenile minded males think it's funny for a man to hold his wife's purse when she's busy doing something which requires her hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by biancabellelover View Post
    I've actually been giving that some thought lately, and I wonder if it's a recent (20th century) thing or older? Whether pockets were a male fashion that just developed, in a similar way to the development of the wristwatch instead of the pocket watch.
    Men who needed and could afford pocketwatches usually wore business attire which included a vest or jacket that had a specific pocket for that pocketwatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Having been out with a handbag, how the world evolved that woman have a bag to put stuff and men don't is totally illogical... i so often have to take soem kind of jacket even when its hot as I have nowhere comfortable to pout my keys and wallet! and No I am not going to take a manbag they are totally lame...
    Men generally didn't, and don't need as much stuff. I used to carry: keycase, comb, some change, wallet. Maybe hankerchief. That's it for most of my 60 some odd years. Today, just add a phone, which I carry in a slim holster on my belt, usually completely unseen, under my jacket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashauk View Post
    I have a leather shoulder bag that I carry all the time and no one seems to notice. I think that men carrying a bag is getting to be the norm these days.
    I guess it really depends where. My last trip to downtown Manhattan didn't show guys carrying shoulder bags. Briefcases, yes. Shoulderbags, no. Same with most other areas, and I've recently made several cross country trips from NYC to Arizona. Virtually NO manbags. A few backpacks among the college aged. Older guys? Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richelle423 View Post
    Start off first with a women’s tri or bi fold wallet which can pass as men’s then work your way to a clutch which I see more women using than a purse. Good luck!! :-)
    Coach makes a few woman's wallets which are slim and without ornaments that could easily pass as a man's, if you wish to go stealth at first.
    And if you want to start off with something that you can excuse as normal men's 'bag', try a slim camera bag or leather Samsonite carry on bag.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsonite-C...ty!07034!US!-1
    They're pretty much purse sized, with pockets, sturdy, and a cross between luggage and an actual purse. Throw in some cheap vintage camera and film if you're worried about some homophobic jerk asking why you have a 'bag'. Pull out the camera and snap his pic. Tell him he'll be on Instagram with the rest of the pictures of homophobic guys.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 06-15-2018 at 06:40 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyLawrence View Post
    In the summer when it is too warm for a jacket with pockets, my day to day androgenous appearance in leggings or womens skinnies needs a bag for phone, wallet and keys. The ones I have are the most manly part of my appearance, not lame at all me thinks. They are all heavy canvas cross shoulder bags, quite small and 'military' looking if you know what I mean. Lame.... ooo the cheek of it
    I too use a small canvas crossbody bag in summer when I lose my coat pockets. My wife hates it and thinks it looks “gay”. I have no issues. I think it looks Indiana Jones actually. I constantly look and never see another guy with any kind of bag. This in a major metropolitan US Midwest city.
    I don’t care.

I sometimes step it up to a nice but simple women’s crossbody bag. There is usually ornamentation that makes it more feminine. My wife would really not like that but I plan on using those more and more.

I hate even trying to stick stuff in my women’s jeans pockets. Purses are just way more practical these days with phones getting bigger etc.

Oh and they are so addictive. Thank God for Goodwill!

Quote Originally Posted by Traci H View Post
    I think it looks Indiana Jones actually.
    That'll do me

I have narrowed it down to these 3...

Attachment 292839Attachment 292840Attachment 292841

Decided on a shoulder strap style and for some reason a handle appealed to me.

I'm looking forward to buy my first purse this week. I think a nice over the shoulder variety is most versatile.

Those three are very nice Samantha. You do realise you need all three don't you? And then a navy one and maybe a green and pink one just to be sure. Joking aside, the red is really lovely but if only getting one then black is the safest option for any outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Watch a husband who's been tasked with holding his wife's bag while she goes into say a changing room. Try as he might, there isn't a masculine way to hold a handbag. Placing it on the ground is the only way to come close to looking butch with a bag.
    When I first started carrying a purse in male mode I'd occasionally get a "Love your purse!" sometimes with a comment about how well it went with my shoes or something (It didn't. Male mode, remember.) and sometimes with a little limp wrist gesture. Obviously they thought I was carrying my SO's purse. I loved watching for their reaction when my SO would show up carrying her own. Priceless, when I could see that they realized I was carrying my own purse and they'd stuck their foot in their mouth!

I bet it's been at least a couple of years since I've had one of those comments. I can only figure that when first started carrying one I wasn't quite comfortable doing it, and that came through.

On another note, I've been lightly ridiculed on this board for carrying a purse in male mode. It doesn't bother me, but I find it very amusing! Seems that when some are in guy mode, they're way the hell in guy mode and wouldn't be caught dead carrying a "sissy " purse! Lacy panties and polished toes under bad ass guy clothes, fine! But purses are too sissy!?! I figure they secretly want to carry a purse, but are deathly afraid of revealing any femininity to the world. Whatever.

I acquired my first purse from my sister when she died. It's rather large and I used it the first time I left the house dressed and went to a TG event. I load it with all kinds of makeup, jewelry and can also throw my wallet and phone in it.

A couple of years ago I wanted a small purse that I could strap around my shoulder. I didn't wanna spend too much so I bought one at Walmart. It's good for carrying only the makeup and jewelry that I might need. And there's still room for keys, wallet and phone.

I was wearing girl's pants in male mode the other day that have about 2" of front pockets. That's when I wondered if the fanny pack would ever make a come back. I hope not!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Go to a thrift store. They commonly have a large variety at low prices. Spring for one and give it a whirl.

I think this is one area where the "lines" are blurring a bit. Guys are carrying bags and companies are marketing to them. I hate the term "man purse", but it's out there and becoming more acceptable.

I've carried a purse for 15 years, and I choose plain messenger bags that are smaller than ones marketed to men. The convenience is awesome!

I'm sorry, ladies I got my purses mixed up with my handbags!

Quote Originally Posted by Tina, who is feeling very ditzy
    I have about a half dozen purses and that's not nearly enough. Purses have to match outfits and occasions, so it's good to have a selection.

You don't want to put all that work into looking feminine just to let yourself down at the last hurdle by being seen with a non-matching purse. If the purse doesn't match, one would be better off without it. (Even I am surprised at how strongly I feel about this.)

Furthermore, since clothes designed to be worn by wonen tend to have fewer functional pockets, having a bag one can use to put one's stuff can be very handy.

Xox,

Tina
    Last edited by Patience; 06-24-2018 at 12:46 AM.

Finally, bought a nice fashionable purse, and over the last few days started wearing dressed and in drab. Have not noticed any funny looks or had negative attitude.
    So just do it. What a pleasure it is to put some lipstick on before walking into work!

My first purse purchase was a no brainier as I knew I was going out and needed to carry things that I wouldn't be able to otherwise. My issue is just the opposite... I've been itching for another, but have held of because I can't find the right one (to many that would be the right one).

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I am surprised you thought you didn't need one.LOL