Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apprehensive about buying a purse.

I dont know why but I was the same when I bought my first purse. Having bought bras, panties, shapewear, dresses, make up--all sort of things that would mark me as a crossdresser, but it was the purse that I had doubts about. But like others have said, practicality took over when I started going out and realized I didn't have a place to carry my things. I love how feminine I feel with a bag hanging off my forearm or when I'm holding a clutch; it really helps me (oddly) with femme postures and mannerisms!

My wife was donating her old purses and said explicitly I couldn't have them. Granted I didn't like any of them anyways. She did let me keep 2 grey ugly purses (really totes) that were free with purchase from bath and body but only to use to hold my feminine clothes that don't go on hangers. She made it clear she does not want me to have one.

Now that I realize of my many skirts only 2 have pockets, and one of the skirts only half my phone fits in the pocket. So I am definitely more keen on new skirts having pockets. Yesterday I was looking online at skirts with cargo pockets too!

Quote Originally Posted by josie_S View Post
    I love how feminine I feel with a bag hanging off my forearm or when I'm holding a clutch; it really helps me (oddly) with femme postures and mannerisms!
    Josie,

Nothing odd about it. Watch a husband who's been tasked with holding his wife's bag while she goes into say a changing room. Try as he might, there isn't a masculine way to hold a handbag. Placing it on the ground is the only way to come close to looking butch with a bag.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Start off first with a women’s tri or bi fold wallet which can pass as men’s then work your way to a clutch which I see more women using than a purse. Good luck!! :-)

Silver Member
    Ladies, one thing you MUST also have is a lady's wallet! Taking a man's wallet out of a lady's purse is really weird! You need to transfer just the simple basics: cash, driver's license, medical information, keys. You should also already have the feminine things you'll need in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Josie,

Nothing odd about it. Watch a husband who's been tasked with holding his wife's bag while she goes into say a changing room. Try as he might, there isn't a masculine way to hold a handbag. Placing it on the ground is the only way to come close to looking butch with a bag.
    You're totally right I've seen it and been there...except of course I secretly *wanted* to look femme with my ex-gf's bag.

Go for it. I have two Coach purses. One from Macy’s and one from Goodwill.

I have a leather shoulder bag that I carry all the time and no one seems to notice. I think that men carrying a bag is getting to be the norm these days.
    Sasha

Purses are really practical item, not only beautiful. I even started using men purse while in drab.

Banned Read only
    Samantha,
    I nearly jumped in too quick but I see Helen has clarified the point . It didn't take me long to get use to a handbag , the problem was I bought them too small . Now I have a lovely John Lewis black leather one and a nicely styled brown one . I have bought quite a few , when I was trying to match outfits but it's just too easy to grab my favourite black one . It has two large metal rings retaining the shoulder strap which are ideal to hang on the hook on the supermarket trolley , it's makes it so easy to find my purse and pull out the credit card just before I get to the checkout .

I have owned a couple of purses now and really do wish I could carry one all the time. My wife would definitely not approve. I just bought a Marvel's Black Widow purse from Lounge Fly, it is awesome and I am a huge fan. So I get to show my nerd even in girl mode!

I bought my first purse last year. Small enough to travel with, perfect to fit everything in it. I absolutely love it, I can't believe I waited so long. Looking forward to my next one. Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    I was never apprehensive about buying purses. I just didn't know quite what to do with one when I carried it. I'd get dressed and grab an empty purse and try to think of appropriate things to fill it with. I didn't want to open my purse at the checkout counter and have only my keys, wallet and a lipstick. I also never quite knew how to carry it. Shoulder? Arm? Hand? How long should the shoulder strap be? Just a lot of things that made it awkward.
    Kind of on topic.
    In my purse I carry:
    a wallet (with ID, cash, & change)
    a brush
    tissues
    lipstick
    mascara
    eye shadow
    compact
    hand sanitizer
    nail kit (file, clippers, teeny tiny scissors)
    notepad & pen
    mints
    cough drops
    band aids
    mini flashlight
    condoms (because sometimes my BF forgets)
    panty liners (because..... reasons)

Oh, and my mobile and cigs & lighter
    Last edited by Jodie_Lynn; 06-13-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Once the first one is bought,there's a good chance They will multiply in no time at all.Its true for me,conservative estimate I must have about 20 handbags,but don't for a second think it's limited to just us.My wife still has more handbags than me
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

It'd actually be the other way around when i think about it.... itd be sort of weird to see a woman without a purse and just carrying things in pockets or in their hands... The only time I have my keys in my hands are when Im near my car and so I have my whistle close by.

I dont think we want to pressure you in to getting a purse but it is quite convenient to have some sort of bag if you go outside. I dont think its too much ... it might complete your "look"

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Samantha,
    Nothing to be apprehensive about. Like Micki said, most women's clothes have useless pockets. My most extravagant purchase was a Louis Vuiton, cause it gave me free parking.

Rach
    " I love the life I live and I live the life I love"

I have one. I was planning one of my first day's out (in San Francisco) and I knew I needed a purse. So I went into Payless and they were having a BOGO sale so I bought a pair of male tennis shoes and a black purse. It's my all purpose purse. I always carry makeup wipes because on more than one time I have changed back to boy mode while I've been out.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Enjoy this state of affairs while you can, Samantha. Once you own one purse, they seem to multiply.
    Wow! Ain't that the truth! It goes double for shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    Kind of on topic.
    In my purse I carry:
    a wallet (with ID, cash, & change)
    a brush
    tissues
    lipstick
    mascara
    eye shadow
    compact
    hand sanitizer
    nail kit (file, clippers, teeny tiny scissors)
    notepad & pen
    mints
    cough drops
    band aids
    mini flashlight
    condoms (because sometimes my BF forgets)
    panty liners (because..... reasons)

Oh, and my mobile and cigs & lighter
    If I put all that in my pocket, if I can find my pocket, it makes my pants all lumpy and ruins the smooth lines of my girlish figure. And the mints get all melted into the hand sanitizer and don't taste good.
    Last edited by abby054; 06-14-2018 at 03:45 AM.

About 2 years ago I changed from pockets to bag to carry my stuff. I carry it no matter what mode I am in. Here in Denver it is not so unusual to see men carrying bags. I have even seen the man with a bag and the woman he is with not carrying anything. I also have a women's wallet. That sometimes gets a look at checkout and if there is any comment (rarely ever happens) I will tell the man (it is always a man who comments) women's wallets make vastly more sense than men's wallet not matter what gender you are. The message is pretty clear. Around here I even see men with small women's purses, but it is usually more the over the shoulder messenger bag - there are lots that are quite nice and would go with drab or femme. I would not want to go back to pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by rachaelsloane View Post
    Samantha,
    Nothing to be apprehensive about. Like Micki said, most women's clothes have useless pockets. My most extravagant purchase was a Louis Vuiton, cause it gave me free parking.

Rach
    A Neverfull? I want! I try to justify it by telling myself I could get by with just this one purse and never change it out regardless of season or male or female mode. Just this one all the time. I'm sure in reality that I wouldn't stick with that. I by nice purses, but not that nice. Women who are into purses notice designer bags a mile away. My GF has a Louis that I got to borrow for an out of town trip, mostly in male mode. I got more comments and compliments on that purse! Seemed like every time we sat down at a restaurant and many time in stores, women would comment on my purse. I get that quite a bit anyway, but not near like when I was carrying a Louis. I haven't bought a purse for myself in well over a year, thinking that I'm just going to wait and buy what I really want. I know it's ridiculous.

Aspiring Member
    If you plan to go out in female attire, you need one. Even female jeans have pockets that are too small. I have a plain black leather purse that could easily do duty as a man-purse if needed, but I consider it essential for going out en femme. Mind you I'm always paranoid about losing it or having it snatched... but such is the fate of being a woman,.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTG View Post
    If you plan to go out in female attire, you need one. Even female jeans have pockets that are too small. I have a plain black leather purse that could easily do duty as a man-purse if needed, but I consider it essential for going out en femme. Mind you I'm always paranoid about losing it or having it snatched... but such is the fate of being a woman,.
    With my girl jeans, my (guy) wallet will fit, but if I sit or even bend slightly, it slips right out. I learned that girl clothes means girl bag!
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

I'm glad I read this thread.

I don't own a purse. I've not thought that far ahead, as I'm not about to go out fully dressed anytime soon.

But I have gone out dressed. (Yay!). But unless someone looked closely they wouldn't know, as I was wearing womens jeans and a blouse that could pass for a Hawaiian shirt (I have over 30 Hawaiian shirts and wear them all the time). I've now got about three or four blouses that fit into this category, and a similar amount of womens jeans, and pants. The problem is, is no real pockets.

So I'm going to have to buy a man-bag to put my wallet, phone, keys, etc. in. This will be a good way to get used to carrying all my stuff, so if I ever do go out en-femme, I'll already be in the purse 'habit' so to speak.

Michelle

Although I sometimes get nervous when buying female shoes, clothes and jewelry in drab, for some reason, purses, bags and wallets have never been a problem for me. It feels like I can always justify them as a gift if asked, or make the excuse that a particular bag will be a perfect fit for my newest camera or whatever. (In fact, of course, nobody in any store has ever given me any reason to come up with an explanation. Browse a while, make my selection, and check out. Couldn't be easier.)

- Diane

Having been out with a handbag, how the world evolved that woman have a bag to put stuff and men don't is totally illogical... i so often have to take soem kind of jacket even when its hot as I have nowhere comfortable to pout my keys and wallet! and No I am not going to take a manbag they are totally lame...
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec