Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Being stopped by Police in Melbourne, Australia

Being stopped by Police in Melbourne, Australia

I had a close call a month ago with a Police Booze / Drug Bus, which is fairly big operation where all traffic is stopped on the road and breathalysed for alcohol and drugs. I am barely passable however I do make an effort and do go out in public. I was driving home from a night out in the city (Melbourne), an hours drive from my hometown. I diverted off the hi way to do some midnight window shopping. Coming in to town off the overpass , my heart stopped as I saw the Booze Buses, Police and Police Vehicles everywhere, the road blocked, lit up with stadium flood lights. I slowed my car ready to stop. Turns out the Bus was setting up. Whew, I rolled though the stop. I returned home and explained the close call to my wife. She was concerned. I explained that it is not illegal for me to explore my more feminine side in public and that I am at a point where I don't care what people think. I frequently venture out fully dressed over the winter months, my wife does not want to know where I go or what I do as long as I am safe and don't mess around.

As fate would have it, turns out last Friday night was my lucky night. As per above. 11.30pm freezing cold. Fully dressed to impress, with make up done to the best of my ability, the Booze Bus Operation spread out on the road way ahead. All traffic ahead gets waved into the the testing site. I think f*** it, I take a deep breath, calm and collected, I hope that I don't get a male officer testing me. Hope that I don't get asked for my license, knowing that I never carry it with me. I decide if to use my male or female voice. I roll to a stop for one of the awaiting officers, I wind my tinted window down. I could tell by her momentary pause she was surprised, this "lady" is definitely on something. She was hoping as much as I was that a positive result was not returned, I replied that I had not been drinking, I casually blow into into device, leaving a heavy coating of deep red lipstick on the straw. The officer had trouble keeping eye contact - looking into down into my car checking out what I was wearing. Eye contact still not made by the officer, clearly uncomfortable. "Negative" alcohol result. I slowly depart without having to give a saliva sample for drugs. The urge to window shop passes. I returning to the highway, I head home. My wife awakes, relieved that I am home, "how was your night", I reply "you will never guess what happened".

A perfectly cooperative subject and a fully professional LEO. I'd be surprised if it had turned out other than it did. BTW, the roving eyes were looking for threats.
    You did great.

Hi Bronwyn,

While still new to this, I think that we overthink things a little. I'm also from Melbourne, and I think that VICPOL do a pretty decent job. I'm friends with plenty of coppers and ex-coppers. While most of them would have an opinion, the chances of them making fun of you or otherwise being unpleasant would be pretty small.

And at a booze bus, the police WANT to have a quiet, boring, time of things. If the booze bus was in St.Kilda, chances are she wouldn't have even batted an eye, LOL!

Just my 2c, and from someone who's yet to go out fully dressed.

Michelle.

ALWAYS carry your license.
    The cops there are worried about drink driving, speed etc, they won't care if your up at the Cuckoo restaurant in the Dandenongs, which have wonderful owners ( and I highly recommend visiting) doing a cross dressing themed party, or just being a lady driving home from church.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Dealing with transgender persons is on the training list at the moment, they are trying to catch up with the U.S.

There is a law in some states they can use to get you.

CARRYING ARTICLES OF DISGUISE.

I believe it was used a lot in the Nineteen sixties.

In Victoria you can drive your horse and cart down Elizabeth St as long as you are carrying a bucket and spade for the droppings, and don't take a corner at more than 10 mph within ten miles of the G.P.O. General post office for those that don't know. :-)

I don't think they have rewritten the law to include the metric system.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Some quaint laws still active in Australia then. Nice one brownyneve another life lesson in he memory bank.

That happened to me a few times. I learned just to keep cool, behave like a normal regular person. I don't change anything in behaviour. The police never asked any question, only looked at me and my drivers license and passport - that's it.
    I'm pretty experienced beeing out dressed, if they would ask any question I would go ahead and explain who I am. That works fine.

Bronwyn

I'm UK based and have been stopped twice for routine checks by the old bill, both late at night. This was back in the days (20 plus years ago) when my ability to dress was severely limited by the lack of clothes that fitted me properly. Utterly utterly unconvincing, badly dressed man.

That said, no drama's. Treated professionally and sent on my way. Fast forward to more recent times and now, still read, but I've walked passed coppers out on the streets and they don't bat an eyelid.

Folks often over think things. As long as you're doing nothing wrong, and CD'ing isn't, you're going to be just fine.

One final point. Your tale is a big example as to why Dutch courage is a bad bad idea for those heading out on early CD'ing adventures. Stone cold sobber keeps you on the right side of trouble.

Silver Member
    Why would you not carry your license? I can't speak for Australia, but in the US you'd get far, far more grief for that than just being crossdressed.

Use your "real" voice, don't lie about your gender etc. if asked.

I got some relatives in Australia and they are always talking about the drinking problem in Australia and say the drug problem is growing rapidly. My suggestion is always be truthful with the officers stopping you and do keep your license with you. I would think more questions would asked about the license than why you are dressed.

Just a caveat:
    Always, always carry your identification!
    Legally, if you cannot prove your identity, you can be detained until the Officers can verify your identity. That could mean a trip to the local precinct, in handcuffs, if that's what is required to identify you. And you really don't want to be tossed into a holding cell in your feminine finery, do you?
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

If you're under 26 in Victoria you're required to carry your driving licence when driving. If you're over 26 (and don't have any driving restrictions) all you need to be able to do is prove your identity, so it's not required. Having said that, the simplest way of proving your identity is to show your driving licence. If you can't prove your identity, you can be asked to present yourself to a police station with your driving licence within seven days.

Also in Vic, the police are pretty well connected I.T. wise. If they pull you over, by the time they get out and talk to you, they'll have all your driving history, criminal history, vehicle history, all from your number plate (assuming you own the car).

Michelle

No licence Bron? Whaat?
    We should have it on a mobile app by next year so at least take a phone when out, even down there.

Don't worry about the cops either! They have more things to worry about than us! The AFL etc...

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I posted this once before. Fully dressed and on my way to a CD friendly bar. Stopped at sobriety check point and male officer looks up and down at me and asks if I have been drinling. I reply "not yet". He laughs and says be careful and waves me on

I always worry about getting stopped. I can't say with certainty but i'm sure your required to carry your drivers license. In any event there is no good reason not to. I don't know how it is in Aus. or NZ or other foreign countries but in New York State most police officers will treat you with courtesy and respect as long as its reciprocated. Are there exceptions? Of course. But as another poster pointed out they have more important things to worry about.

Bronwyn, I always carry my license. Now in male mode, while walking in the city I have refused to give it, but when driving there is no excuse.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I can't stand these sobriety checkpoints. My friend got unfairly detained by one in the mid-90's. In this video, these people have the right idea in dealing with this gestapo crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOF4Zp2RzkQ&t=65s

Platinum Member
    I never worry about being stopped while dressed. Why? Because I make it a point to never drive under the influence. I drink alcohol free beer or club soda, and drive secure in the knowledge that my blood ach. level is 0.0

This takes a bit of self discipline, but the reward is peace of mind. And yes I always carry my male ID. I haven't any illusions about passing.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I always carry my proper ID, in my purse.
    I NEVER drink & drive so no worries there.

I was stopped by the Police once, and it was a very positive experience. The Officer was very professional, and didn't bat an eye when confronted by a crossdresser.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by PantyBoots View Post
    I can't stand these sobriety checkpoints. My friend got unfairly detained by one in the mid-90's. In this video, these people have the right idea in dealing with this gestapo crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOF4Zp2RzkQ&t=65s
    Unfortunately, there are enough arsehats out there to make DUI checkpoints a necessary evil. At least in the U.S.
    You say your friend was 'unfairly' detained. I am curious to what you mean.
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    I try to toe the line when out dressed and driving; no speeding, drinking, make sure lights all work, signal when necessary; drive like you’re trying to pass your drivers test!
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Michaelasfun, I'm pretty sure that is how you are supposed to drive all the time. I feel for the good folks of Seattle when you are driving as a guy

Banned Read only
    Bronwyne,
    They've seen it all before I'm sure it wasn't a problem , as you say it was pretty cold and no doubt they were not happy bunnies that late at night .

The golden rule is don't dress , drink and drive I certainly wouldn't have risked it while I was living with my wife and I don't intend to push my luck now . This always raises the question of what exactly a unit is , how many bar tenders know or even care what each drink contains .

Going for a drive is one of the few opportunities I get to be dressed outside the house and being stopped or being involved in an accident is always in the back of my mind. I bevr fail to carry my licence because not having it can incur a fine but being cross-dressed doesn't. [Unless it's the fashion police 😁]
    My Flickr profile
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142337725@N08/

Unfortunately, there are enough arsehats out there to make DUI checkpoints a necessary evil. At least in the U.S.
    You say your friend was 'unfairly' detained. I am curious to what you mean.
    He wasn't over the BAC limit, and I think he passed the walking in a straight line test.

And, I think that the people that get DUI's despite not hurting anyone seem to far outnumber the a**hats today.

Here is a good resource that people need to check out: https://www.motorists.org/issues/dui/

When dealing with vicpol (or police in general) on the road; Be polite, respectful and answer all appropriate questions. As long as you're not intoxicated and/or driving like an idiot you will be fine. Saliva drug testing is expensive and time consuming so it's usually reserved for target areas or people who are quite obviously off their head, so the likely hood of them drug testing you is minimal even at the booze bus testing sites. However there are certain things that will always draw attention/ire of the police, like driving a large cammed, open pipe street machine won't do you any favours (can confirm, getting out to open the bonnet while looking pretty can be an interesting experience).

Also if you're currently living in Victoria, be prepared to get breath tested a lot more often. It's being ramped up due to vicpol faking of all those tests for the past 5 years.