Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Being stopped by Police in Melbourne, Australia

If you are driving, there is no reason you can't just throw your wallet in a cup holder or compartment in the car. Even if you plan to get out, just bring your license and put it out of sight in the car. This is what I do when I go running since I don't want to carry my ID on me when running.

You should always have your license and as someone said Vic have to catch up on huge numbers as they were caught out.

I'm in NSW and have a few friends that are cops. From everything else they see a CD wouldn't even rate as a story they would tell.

I have no idea what is going on in Oz, so this is unresponsive to the OP. However, for Americans reading the thread, I'm pretty sure that, even before the nationwide crackdown on identity theft, all vehicle operators have been required by local state law to carry their drivers license upon their person when they are behind the wheel. Failure to have one's license is a misdemeanor violation, and might also result in a more serious charge, which is operating a motor vehicle without an operator's permit. Fortunately, by 2018 almost all American police cars are now connected to an online computer which verifies the ownership of the vehicle and can produce any individual's license upon the computer screen inside the police car. So, it's highly likely that you're not going to be hauled to the local police station if you can identify yourself, remember your social security number, remotely resemble the photo on your driver's license, and have a BAC not above .08%. The biggest worry about driving with a blood alcohol above the .08 mark is that the police will impound the vehicle and have it towed, and take the operator to jail until he/she can post bond. If you have sober passenger that should at least eliminate the impoundment and tow charges.

Another Melbourne Girl here, I would agree with Kelly, the cop was looking for potential threats to her, they always do. I am fairly certain that the cop had seen a lot more unusual things than you.
    On an interesting aside... I have bene driving in Melbourne for 25 years and have only been breathalyzed once.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

In the US, there is a constitutional presumption of innocence that these police roadblocks violate. They should have been abolished long ago.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

If we've reached the point of debating the finer points of law, I think the topic has strayed well outside this forum's range of topics. This seems like a good time to close the thread.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.