Thread: Distant Voices

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar

Distant Voices

Hello! I just popped in to answer some messages, and thought I'd mention an update.

It's now been over eleven months since I became Amy legally and socially. July 20 will be the anniversary of my "Naming Day," when I assumed the legal name "Amy Gale Bowersox."

Eleven months. Who would've thought it? Certainly not the shy, uncertain crossdresser that posted here for the first time way back in 2011, who didn't even know how he would tell his partner.

I could have told him, he had nothing to fear. I have seen almost universal acceptance from everyone in my life. Family members, friends, coworkers, all of them now accept me as Amy. As a woman. It's hard to believe I was ever anything different.

I've now moved to a new apartment, an apartment that "he" never lived in. I've gotten a new car (and will shortly be getting another one, as that first new car was hit from behind after I'd owned it only a month, and was totaled by the insurance company), a car that "he" never drove.

I have yet another title and crown to my name: Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado, 2018-2019. Having transitioned, I am no longer eligible for the "Miss" title I once held, but I am now eligible for the "Ms." title. I am the first person in Majestic Hearts history to have held both titles, before and after transition.

I also was named a Quora Top Writer for 2018. My first "quill," in 2015, was given to "him." Now I have one after transition as well. Very few Quorans can say the same.

I am, by all accounts, a well-adjusted woman. And my womanly nature is becoming physically apparent; thanks to over a year of HRT, I have breasts: a small B-cup and at least Tanner Stage III, and still "cooking." (No side effects that I can tell, not even mood swings. I think my body likes the estrogen. )

I look back at all the challenges I agonized over in those early days...it all seems so simple now. I just do what I do, and be who I am. I'm a woman. I'm a lady. I'm beautiful, even. I am Amy, as I should have been from the start.

. . .

So what happened to "him"? To the person I was? Did "he" die? (I don't think so; I'm still here, after all!)

"He" now exists only as the caretaker of my memories. His name has been consigned to my history. Everything that "he" ever was, is now part of me. But I've become so much more than that.

But "he" will always be my "progenitor," the identity that kept me safe for over four decades...and finally knew when it was time to let go, and let "her" take over.

So to "him," to the entity that was once called "Eric James Bowersox," I send my salute and my thanks. I swear to you, your legacy has not fallen upon unworthy hands.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Wow Amy! I’m loving how your first year has gone by and all that you have achieved! You’re kicking ass girl! I can feel your smile and how happy you are through the screen.

Wish you nothing but the best!
    Ariana

Amy,

This is terrific, not only for you but as a positive model for those of us who are still in the weeds. I particularly appreciate your handling of "him." For those of us who are beyond our early years, "he" did a lot and was a lot and referring to him simply as a misgendering or a dead name isn't adequate.

Most of all, congratulations on how well you are doing!

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    That's great, Amy! So happy to hear you're doing so well

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I'm not unmindful of my potential as a role model, Elizabeth. In fact, there've been suggestions that I should write a book, like many other trans women who've done the same thing. My perspective is unique enough that it might make a compelling story.

I'm accumulating notes to that end, including a timeline of significant events in my life I can use as a guide. I've even thought of a potential title:

Transition Without Tears: The Improbable Story of A Woman Who Found Herself and Became Who She Had To Be

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Amy, I really like your attitude towards "him." We, who have significant history behind us, are who we were in addition to who we have become. I would never want to deny what I did, both successes and failures alike. That's who I am/was some good, some great, some not so great, but all me.

Hugs, Bria