Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you have been in the military?

How many of you have been in the military?

Hi!!!

Reading some of the threads lately, and some of your biographies, I was struck on how many of us have been in the military in one way or another. In my particular case, I had to do mandatory military service in my home country - and I hated every second of it. Part of our "training" was to dig up trenches in scorching heat in the desert (48C or more) and then to fill them up... a mindless, futile task that encompasses for me the full experience.

Of course, the military is one of those things that are "manly", at least in stereotype. Do you think your experience in the army of your respective countries had something to do with your dressing? Maybe as a reaction to it, or as an "antidote"? I would also be curious if you volunteered or were conscripted.

Super thanks for any experiences you might like to share,

Love love,
    Val

I volunteered - more to avoid the risk of being drafted than anything to do with gender issues. Also I got training (computers) I couldn't afford on my own.

For the most part, I managed to put my girly feelings 'on hold'. They didn't go away by any means, and I envied the WAC's (women's army corps, in case you aren't familiar with the term) and their uniforms, but I survived.

I was in the Massachusetts Army National Guard, keeping Massachusetts safe from invasion by Rhode Island.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I was in the New York Army National Guard. I was a Tank Crewman (11E10). Did my Basic and AIT training at Fort Knox, KY in the summer of '71. I served from 1970-'76 ending my last 2 years in the Connecticut Guard. Being a pacifist it was the only way for me to do my service requirement without having to kill anyone. Being a tank crewman I did learn how to kill many people at one time but the worst I ever did was kill some moles that were probably living in a hillside that I blew away during target practice with the 105 mm cannon in Upstate New York. I will say that over the years I have come to admire and respect the guys who volunteered or were drafted. and served our country. I have a cousin who was caught up in the Tet Offensive in Vietnam and another in the Navy. My wife lost a cousin in Nam as well. As a Hospice Nurse I have taken care of many Vets who served in Vietnam as well as some who died with melanoma from Agent Orange. These guys were truly victims of the war as much as the heroes who died in combat. I salute them all for their service.
    Last edited by Stephanie Julianna; 06-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Well I volunteered to avoid the draft in the United States back in 1968 and wound up spending the next 21 years in the U.S. Army. Have had the opportunity to visit 27 countries, some for pleasure, some for duty. Lived 18 years with my family in Europe and Japan. My Sidney side did not surface until I was in my late fifties so was not an issue while in was in the Army and my service did not affect my feminine side one way or the other. I and my family did enjoy the travel and other cultures.

US Air Force in the mid-1950s.

Invited to join, and accepted the invitation.

I don't believe that it had any effect on my dressing, but that I will never know?
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Veteran themes have been asked in the past.

For me 26 1/2 years US Navy both active and reserve.

My desire to serve had nothing to do with my desire to dress.

11 years Air Force. It had nothing to do with my dressing

Platinum Member
    During the onset of the Vietnam War I had a four year educational deferment because I attended college. I graduated June 1960 and lost the deferment. Reclassified to 1A I went down to the recruiting office to check out what the various services had to offer. The navy and air force were not enlisting anyone at the time. The Marine Corp was out for me...sure way to die. The army was only recruiting for officers for the infantry and field artillery, which mean forward observers attached to the infantry. For family reasons I will not go into here, the draft board said it was either my brother or me. One of us was going to get drafted. I volunteered for the draft as that was the only way to limit my time in service to two years. While in the army I had zero thoughts of wearing women's clothing. I was more interested in the daily life of not getting my shit blown away. My infantry company ran a 15%+ killed in action rate and an overall 90%+ casualty rate.

I ended up as an infantryman (11B) and sent to Nam. It was a real fun time. I had this tendency to attract pieces of metal. I was wounded twice. The second time was by an booby traps, now given the illustrious name of Improvised Explosive Device. I was medivaced. After being released from the hospital I ended up close to home at Fort Dix, New Jersey. After Nam life was good in the army for the balance of the two years. Since I had a "profile" and good not perform anymore as an infantryman I ended up pushing papers which was great. I did meet my future wife in the army. She was in the Women's Army Corp.

As a teenager and a little before I dabbled in my mother's lingerie draw. Based on the common assumptions back then I often wondered if I was a homosexual because that was what society thought of cross dressers. I was totally confused for a long time. It took awhile to figure out that was all bull crap.

If you have read some of my comments over the years I have found cross dressing to be therapeutic as a stress reliever from PTSD. Wearing women's clothing seems to be less injurious than abusing myself with alcohol or drugs, legal and illegal. Although society probably would rather deal with me as a druggie than a cross dresser.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 06-25-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Enlisted 3 yrs army to instead of the draft 2 yrs ,basic at Dix then was in Korea and Germany in the 60's

Signal Battalion in Korea and Frankfort headquarters in Germany. Lots of transfer to Viet Nam then.
    Last edited by Rayleen; 06-25-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Joined the Navy right out of High School in 63. Was a "kiddie cruiser" since I wasn't even 18. First year in electronics A school in San Francisco. Most the time in the Navy I skipped dressing. But the final months before separation, I would get a hotel or motel room. for weekend liberty; finally I rented an apartment ashore so I could dress nearly everyday when liberty was called. Just weeks before my separation, my ship moved to Long Beach from San Diego where the apartment was. That forced my first purge, but back to civies. Did wish I could have a Wave uniform, and if they weren't so expensive, would buy a set of Whites & Blues now.
    [SIZE="3"]
    *** Barbie Lanai ***
    [/SIZE]

Last edited by Pat; 06-25-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Drafted during Nam War. Lucky to be stationed in Ariz. for 2 years. Didn't start dressing until 25 years later. So, one had no effect on the other.

But, I hated the Army! Couldn't wait to get out and start "real life" again!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Drafted in 1968 and sent home because I was a Klinesfelter, at 6'1" with C Cup size breasts I caused a disturbance , went to college then worked at A US AIRFORCE PMEL as a contractor for the next 44 years my MOS 2P071. P.S. I transitioned on the job.

Not me, but thanks for your service. I did have a temp job digging in 90 degree heat. Not fun!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'm going well in the "Have you ever been...".

I was also in the Army. I joined the Australian Army Reserve in 1983 and left in 2008. There hasn't been conscription in Australia since 1972, so all voluntary. For nearly all of that time I was in the Commandos. I did two periods of continuous service and deployed to Iraq as a military advisor in 2006/2007. I left for a number of reasons, but the main one was that at 45, I was way too old to be jumping out of aeroplanes, and didn't want to transfer to another branch of the army.

I loved it, and while I acknowledge that military training and military life isn't for everyone, some of the life skills I learned (such as grit and determination, and the belief that I can do anything if I put my mind to it) I still keep with me and use every day.

I didn't Cross dress until around 18 months ago, and I doubt that my military experience had any influence.

Michelle

I was drafted into the US Army in 1965 and my military experience had absolutely nothing to do with my crossdressing.

USAF-1970 to 1974! No connection to dressing! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Doubtless, we marched many of the same roads at Ft. Knox, Stephanie. Did basic there a few years after you. Then AIT and the rest of my hitch at Ft. Sam Houston. 91B. Some day, maybe, I will share my "closest call" story, which happened during that time.

Was dressing as a child and served in the Army between 1965 - 1967.

Retired Navy. I did 30 years and decided it wasn't really for me. Had no affect on my desire to dress.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I enlisted in the Navy at the age of 16 (yes, it is possible) Thee west pacs, It never changed my identity, but it did affect my ability to express it. Some countries visited made it easier.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

USAF, Pilot, dressed before/during/after, wasn't able to dress overseas but made up for it when i was home!

The biggest problem was with my mother who had caught me a few years before I joined, she was worried about my "problem" and what might happen if I got caught. This was a realistic fear as this was before DADT and I witnessed an investigation into two crew members who were clearly gay (no flames please, it was no secret as our crews lived in tight quarters when deployed). The Col came down to the chow hall and said he had to ask around but was sure it was not going to result in a "positive" finding. To this day if he ever calls for a favor my answer is "YES", it won't matter what it is, he was that kind of leader, I saw him take care of his people to the detriment of his own career on many occasions.

Stephanie47 wrote: Although society probably would rather deal with me as a druggie than a cross dresser.
    Ironic, isn't it?
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress