Thread: Pushing conventional boundaries

Pushing conventional boundaries

So midway through last year personal circumstances forced me into a job I wasn't too keen on taking. It's a position in a roadside assistance company mainly just breaking into peoples cars when they lock the keys inside. The money is good and I like being out and about but this typically masculine job is not exactly one where gender expression is common. I was getting frustrated until I realised that I was the only person stopping me from expressing myself, so I started just being me while doing my 'man' job. Whenever the mood strikes I'll happily start work wearing eyeliner + mascara, if my nails are painted I'll just leave it (they have been plum crazy purple all week) and I really have to say my mood has generally improved.

So I pose this question; Do any of you push the gender boundaries in your workplace? I know it's easier for some depending on what you do or where you're located but I'm genuinely curious as to what the majority do. Also to clarify I'm talking about anything that is visible, we all underdress at some point

P.s. If you're out driving in Melbourne en femme and lock your keys in the car or need any form of roadside assistance, 95% of providers will be nothing but professional when dealing with you.

Well done Stacey-J, i hope it continues well for you.
    I would love to be my true self at work, but it's not the most advisable idea in my current situation.
    I am currently self-employed and i have to take into account how my customers would react. I live in a very old-fashioned area where homophobia, transphobia etc are not uncommon. My clients might well stop employing me if they knew about Krea.
    My wife has been very tolerant of my CDing since i came out to her, but she might be less enthusiastic if it costs me my small income.
    I am planning on finding more suitable work with a regular employer again, where there may be more scope for self-expression. Who knows what may come along....?
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

hello Stacey,
    I usually wear clear nail varnish - no-one has commented. I nearly always wear panties to work and women's deodorant - no one has commented.
    life is good,
    luv J

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Can't really do that at my job, but I did start wearing alot of really colorful socks. One day I was wearing some with mildy feminine colors and one of my coworkers was like, "WHat the heck is going on with those socks!"

Yes and no. I usually have my toes painted these days, and I'm bold with them. I'll go anywhere with purple toes. Lately I've started painting my fingers as well.

That all said, I work from home 9/10 days, the 10th I need to go into the office. That's when the acetone comes out (fingers only, my toes stay pretty under shoes.)

My wife tells me its 2018 and not to remove it, but I choose to because it's one less question to answer. I prefer to keep the "tells" to a minimum where my income is concerned.

I work in a machine shop. Not exactly conducive to any thing femme, and NOT everyone (I speak here only for mineself) underdresses-EVER-period.
    Jon

being retired is easier, I try to bye more unisex top and pants, undressing when possible. I wear soft pink colored lipstick everyday when out.

sometimes will use light facial makeup and some shadow around my eyes, my hair is short and light .

Slow transformation and nobody made any remarks .
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I once worked at my local airport, out on the ramp handling baggage and cargo. The 'macho' culture was a relief to get away from. I now work part time in retail and wear a woman's watch and obviously female jewellery. If anyone asks why I just say because I like them, and leave it at that. No one has any issues with it.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

If I am broken down in Victoria I will call the R.A.C.V and see who I get. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes. A silver necklace with blue crystal, which to reminds me of a water drop, worn at my throat. Women's deodrant and body spray, panties, trousers and shoes (both discrete) and socks. Tried tights and knee highs without socks. Looking for a substitute for my work shirts. Painted toes when i wear sandals on dress down Fridays and warm weather, currently loving the bright red which one my colleagues passed on to me. Clear varnish on fingers occasionally. Cheap plastic women's watch.

I tried some nude nail polish. And my spouse gave me an un-approving look and said, "Take it off. Don't push the boundary!"
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

Like Rayleen I'm retired so I don't have the pressure of a work environment. Also being single I can please myself as to how far I push the boundaries.

Whilst I never go out full en femme I do always underdress, and sometimes something female outwear too. I always use female scented shower gel, female deodorant and quite often perfume too. I also do my nails with a nude coloured polish.

So yes, I do push the boundaries but no one has ever made a negative comment.
    Sasha

For the last two years I have only worn women’s khakis and jeans (office environment) and no notice was ever made. Always underdressed with panties and sometimes a bra. Women’s deodorant, a light touch of makeup just to smooth out my facial complexion. Oh a women’s watch too, but not overtly fem. Never wanted to jeopardize my income stream.

Now I just retired and no longer have to fear a loss of income from being outed. My limitation now will mostly be my wife’s fears and trepidation about me embarrassing her and myself. I want to get my ears pierced, get a pedicure and just present a bit more feminine. I like to wear women’s shorts and sometimes sandals. Women’s tops while not that different seem to shout “fem”. Tighter fit with stretchy fabric, shorter sleeves, and different necklines. I have yet to wear those out and about with the other fem articles. I am working up to it however. Toss in a purse and I feel I will really be pushing the boundaries.

Traci

Unfortunately in my job I can be under constant scrutiny. While feminine under my work cloths. I have worn ladies work pants. However they are identical to the male ones, I can't see any difference.

Kelsey

Well known for nail polish whilst working in heavy industry, burgundy usually.
    These days it's the general public and yoga/Taiji classes which are treated to my colours, a subtle cream/primrose at present.
    I should probably let my nails come up for some air!

I also never leave the house without lipliner or eyeliner, I don't think I ever leave my room without makeup on ???

I'm quite big on pushing the boundaries, but must say that there a the odd days where the boundaries are pushed back. I've actually experienced some negativity this week, but that happens!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Yes. Panties and thigh highs almost daily. When I’ve had to wear a blazer, I’ve worn my a cup bra. Sometimes, clear nail polish. I’ve worn hose, no socks to dinner. Occasional glance, one smile from a woman, but nothing said.

I have been contemplating dressing at work. For me this means a skirt with business appropriate women's shoes (which I just bought the other day!) with a company T-shirt or button up men's shirt. I talked to my manger just today about wearing this and he said he foresees no issue. So I plan to start wearing this when I go into my local office (about 2 days a week while the kids are on summer break).

I work in an auto manufacturing plant, uniforms are standardized. There is a lbgtq group they have started up there for community events, wasn’t sure to join and end up outed.

Pretty in Pink

I wear nail polish fingers and toes 24/7! My ears are both pierced and wear mostly studs, my fav are pearls! I wear scrubs which are unisex(nurse) but men's shoes and underwear! (Bend down a lot) Asked by two employees if I was gay(no) on two separate occasions! Accused of being "one of those transgenders!" in front of the boss/owner! No reaction from her, but I did say I have a male body! I am still working there but am unsure of what the boss thinks! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I keep my nails manicured, with clear polish, and on the longish side. I also keep my hair fairly long, brows pretty thin and at least a couple studs in my ears.

All are pretty subtle and have gone uncommented upon at work, but probably not unnoticed. I work in a large and pretty accepting place, so it doesn't pose the sort of challenges that other girls here face. I feel fortunate for that, and have really enjoyed pushing the boundaries a bit.

A few clients have commented on my nail polish, but I take it off before going to the office
    If your out Pakenham and ever help my sister, she would be cool which ever mode you turned up in (and probably mention me).
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Womens skinny jeans/jeggings and underwear daily, finger nails painted 24x7 all colours, women's deodorant and perfume (not strong smelling) and in winter a women's fur collared and hooded coat.
    Was asked why I was wearing nail polish, just said "because i like it". Today it's green with a gold glitter accent nail!
    Foxy Roxy has entered the building