Thread: Do you want to try the dress on?

Do you want to try the dress on?

Last weekend we were all at our summer cabin, I'm a early bird and not to wake anyone up I get a coffee at a coffee shop and drive around checking out properties for sale and any changes in the area. I stopped at a few garage sales and the last one I stopped at was big. The lady that greeted me was friendly and kind of yapy and explaining that her parents couldn't take care of themselves anymore and she put them in a nursing home and she was very motivated to sell there stuff and anything I see to make an offer. I walked around and there was mostly older style furniture and old power tools, I strolled through a rack of clothes, I'm not one to buy clothes from a garage sale but I love to collect vintage and authentic slips. Last year I caught 3 slips on a rack and when I went to pay the lady was so money hungry she showed me the half slip she was wearing and asked if I wanted that one too, in which I did and it was the most beautiful one of all. I wish I wasn't so shy, and more bold because she wanted to go in her house and get more but I told her my wife would be happy with those, I'm sure she had some classics ones forsure.
    I walked by the last clothing rack and I was starting to walk to my car when something caught my eye. I looked over and there was a beautiful wedding dress hanging on a tree branch, I was automatically attracted to it and I stood there frozen. It was all lace on top and full on the bottom, almost like a princess dress. My mind was going a million miles a minute, thinking to myself
    :what am I going to do with that dress
    : I will probably wear it a few times get my thrills and then hang it in the already overcrowded drawer
    :she's motivated I will probably get it for nothing
    :I can't wear it for drives
    :I could feel it on me already
    All at once the lady came over to me and asked me if it was beautiful, and I told her it was and she said it was hers when she got married 40 years ago. She then shocked me and asked me if I wanted to try it on that it would be alright with her. I wanted to ask her what she said but I heard it loud and clear but wasn't sure if I was dreaming. I instantly shyed away and in my mind I was wondering why she would ask me that, so I asked her what gave her the impression I wanted to try that dress on. She said that she has volunteered and worked at thrift stores for thirty years and when you work in a thrift store you meet a lot of different people. She said I had the look of the men in her store who are looking in the men section but there eyes are across in the women's section and trying to get the courage to pick up something on the women's rack. I found that interesting and then she told me that she seen me in a daze and she figured that I was sizing it to myself and she would give me a good deal on it. Not admitting that I wanted it or not I told her I would think about it.
    I didn't buy the dress and all day everyone was asking what was wrong with me that day, I was feeling in a daze in disbelief of the discussion I had that morning with that lady and how she read me. I seat here a week later regretting not buying that dress and wondering what it would have felt like on and daydreaming of how it would have felt like if I had the courage and tried that dress in front of that lady. I had to share this with my friends here, as much as I would have loved to share this with my family and co-workers, the only place I could share is with my wife and my friends here. My wife said it was good I didn't buy it, I probably would have worn it a few times and then stored it away with the rest, not something I could leave in the open. Just curious does anyone here have a wedding dress and do you wear it often?

At home, about 4 times a year.
    Out in public, once so far but would be more regular if I had a photographer to do "photo shoots" with me.
    The dry cleaning bill was the same as the cost of the wedding dress, so that's something to be considered when walking over dirt to "photographic" backgrounds.

rc 003.jpg rc 006.jpg
    rc 023.jpg rc 035.jpg
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

You are blown away by the Lady's embrace of total acceptance of your hobby,but chose not to reveal. I believe you now wish you had as she would have been an outlet for your desires that day. Your wife saw it as just a frivolous purchase because you probably didn't truly reveal how amazed,yet conflicted you felt by this stranger's embrace of your hobby.

I am sure I'm not the only sympathetic listener here. I have plenty of bridal lingerie, and a gorgeous floor length while dress with knit bodice and layers of satin and gauze and lace that is some kind of evening dress. I was in a daze in the discount clothing store dressing room and bought two, so I can shorten one into a ...oh- the choices are paralyzing me but with pleasure!

But yes- when will I actually wear it? I feel like I am a dam bursting, with a closet full of beautiful clothes and too little opportunity. One of these days I might break and just flow all over.

I love the thrift store SAs perspective! I literally go shopping just to enjoy trying on the clothes I find and carrying them to the register. No one is ever overtly judgmental, I think most are sympathetic- they see quite a slice of life pass through.

Next time you have such an opportunity to be a crossdresser in accepting company, enjoy the heck out of it and make it last! It is literally retail therapy- and an hour of being accepted lasts a lifetime. I remember every occasion vividly and it keeps me right side up.
    We are all beautiful...!

I'm not into wedding dresses but I know the feel of being in the men's section and looking over at the women's section to see what they have. Very seldom do I just go over and buy something I see there I usually buy other things that a man would and then pass thru the woman's section and grab what I want then put it under my things and go check out. Most of the clerks just scan the tag and fold it and put it in a sack. I've even felt guilty when someone is behind me I line and I've bought ladies panties so I try and not make any eye contact. Just pay and head for the door. I know what you mean though about not having room for a wedding dress it would take up a lot of space.

Maria, I found the woman's comments an interesting insight into SA's knowledge of crossdressers.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I have learned to reach out and grap those opportunitys, they may only come around once .
    And sometimes make for unforgettable memories

Like you I don't really have the space for storage of such an item. There have been many times where I found a dress I would like to have had weather it be a wedding dress or just something that has caught my eye and I chose not to get it. Many times I have left them on the rack and lamented over it later. I think it may be simply part of being a crossdresser. Throughout our lives we build memories and this will be a good memory for you to have had the interaction and the vision of you in that dress...so hang on to the positive as these are what I call "moments in time" and these memories are what makes life meaningful and really great.

When I was in the 6 th grade my Aunt bought a beautiful " prom dress " and left it with my mother to give to my cousin who was to graduate High School that year .
    Before that happened my cousin eloped , leaving the dress with no owner .
    A few weeks later my mother took me to the spare room to look at it .It was absolutely beautiful
    Long , full skirt , sorta a champagne color
    I said it is so beautiful
    My mother asked if I would like to try it on ? She said you are just about the right size ?
    I felt ashamed , scared not said no
    A choice I will always regret !

Banned Read only
    I think your wife has a point. Yes, probably close to 100% of men who love to wear women's clothing would love to wear a wedding dress at least once. However, the storage and maintenance (dry cleaning) is a hefty bill. The woman was very insightful. A good sales associate, whether at a fashionable retail store or a thrift store, should be able to gauge when a customer needs assistance or just needs to shop alone. She is right that many men who are cross dressers have a wandering eye and use ruses when buying women's clothing. Do you really think she fell for your explanation those slips were for your wife?

At my local mall my eye scans the women's lingerie section when I am on the down escalator at Macy's. I enter JC Penny through the door at the women's dress section. The children's clothing section at JC Penny is through women's bras and panties.

When I was new to buying women's clothing once I bought a Vanity Fair foundation garment; a pull on half slip. I had the newspaper advertisement with the size I wanted written on it. "My wife asked me to pick it up" brought a knowing smile and a retort, "Oh, SHE even wrote the size down for you!" Thank God Al Gore invented the internet. It is so much easier to click and ship.

The title of the post reminded me of that line in Ghostbusters: "When someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!"

When someone asks if you want to try on the dress, you say YES!

Banned Read only
    Matria,
    Even if you didn't buy it you should have tried it on , it's an experience most of us dream about .

I have tried several on and to be truthfull they may look beautiful but actually aren't that comfortable to wear . I know I ve said this before but during my thirty years as a professional photographer I always wanted to be one of the bridesmaids . Their dresses are much nicer to wear , they come in some lovely colours and they always have the most fun at weddings . I still cherish a picture that a guest took of me in the middle of seven bridesmaids with my arms tightly locked round waist's of the girls either side and they had their arms around me , I really did feel one of the girls , if only I'd been dressed like them as well instead of my formal suit !

I don't really wish to own a wedding dress, I'm never going to wear it anywhere , it may be fun around the home for a few minutes but most of the time it will clog up my whole wardrobe .

I've tried 2 on in consignment stores, been fitted at Davids Bridal and actually bought one off of Craigslist.
    If you ever have the opportunity to try a wedding dress on, overcome your fear and do it.

Silver Member
    Jean Ann ... did your mother know then that you were drawn to women's clothing? Sounds like a good story, here.

I did not even know it then Jenny . I did not start to dress until College

JAS

Silver Member
    I've been lucky enough to try on several and owned one. It is interesting that we like to try them on and wear them. Girls get married and almost never wear them again. I've tried to figure it out but can't. My wife and the girls have never worn theirs again as well as other women I know.

Maria, I think this is a wonderful story! I am not sure what I would have done, but most likely it would have been the same reaction as you had.

This story certainly has given me some food for thought. Perhaps both you and I can think about our response for the next time a friendly SA talks about our secret world, accept ourselves for who we are, pull up our big girl pants, and go with the flow rather than chickening out. Being prepared can only help when the opportunity presents itself!

Thank you for sharing your story!

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

That is a cool story, thanks for sharing.
    Two years ago I saw a wedding dress at a thrift store for $40 and thought this is crazy so I went home and of course I thought of how nice it would be to have it.
    The next day I thought about it all morning and at lunch time I boomed over there (of course obeying the speed limit) and bought it.
    The female SA said it was nice to see this dress get a new home, I wonder what kind of home she thought it was getting.
    Attachment 293499
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

What fun story! I enjoyed hearing your inner thoughts as you were staring at the dress....that lady was quite the sales person and interesting how she truly read your mind. I'll have to think about that the next time I'm at the thrift store. I'm not into wedding dresses and I recently posted about having a beautiful one for sale here. I don't have a need for it and as mentioned, it takes up a bit of closet space..I still have the dress if anyone is interested. It would have been fun to go into that lady's house to check out the closet!

Thanks for your story. Even if I am not attracted to wedding dresses, it will help stopping fear of being read by an experienced sales person.

What an interesting story. I have no desire to own or even try on a wedding dress. However, close to where I live is one of the UK's leading suppliers of wedding dresses, and I have to admit that every single time that I pass by the shop, and that's at least twice a day, I cannot resist the urge to look at the window down display. Something that makes my wife smile.

Thank you for sharing, Maria. It would have been wonderful trying on that wedding dress. I think they're the ultimate in femininity!

Try not to be too regretful. View it as a learning experience. I'm sure that you'll go for it the next time you have an opportunity to wear a wedding dress!
    I'm always a woman!

I was in a similar situation, I did try the dress on and the veil and the shoes and the tiara..

It was an opportunity lost as I turned the deal down and do regret it to this day.

I have tried others and bought them for mock weddings that I used to organise.

This wedding dress just fitted well and some who came into the shop whilst I was trying it on did not have a clue to my identity.

They just wished me all the best for my special day. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What a great story, I have done things just like that where I so wanted to try something on. Or for that matter take another trip out dressed and didn't. I always regret it after.

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    I've been lucky enough to try on several and owned one. It is interesting that we like to try them on and wear them. Girls get married and almost never wear them again. I've tried to figure it out but can't. My wife and the girls have never worn theirs again as well as other women I know.
    It is a memory of a the most special day in the life of a GG. They don't need to wear it again to relive those memories.