Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Younger

Younger

I'm sure we all wish we knew before about the cross dressing world. Would our younger days have not been different? I know mine would. Hugs ellen

Yeah, I spent most of my youth thinking I was a freak and totally alone.

Growing up before the internet kind of sucked.

Oh yes, most definitely. Internet or no, I wish that I had discovered this about myself a dozen years sooner....

Same for me. I was pre internet days and confused.
    If I would have had a place to learn I was not alone, was not strange, and had support it would have saved a lot of guilt that I should not have had.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wish I had figured it out in my 20s because I would have transitioned.
    Finally coming to grips with it in my late 40s it was pretty much too late.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Hi Ellen, welcome to the forum.

I never thought I was odd, I just wish on hindsight I'd got much deeper into it while I would have been so much more convincing!
    I used to have a short attention spa

Welcome to the Forum! another Ellen!
    You are just 5 years older than I am, and I can still look good. Your profile picture shows you are in good shape.
    I recall alt.sex.stories.trans and IRC channels devoted to TG. I did explore a bit in college and went out once to a movie. But life and family then became priority and, as often happens, once the nest began to empty, there was more time to consider my needs. I had thought I would never look pretty, but makeup and wigs can do wonders. But I am not sure if I would have given up my kids to live a very different life. And having known more about the full TG spectrum I don;t think would have helped. The society we live in now has changed and is more open to variation, and that has made it much easier for a TGer today.
    My in-laws live in Venice. Joke is that the old people live in Sarasota, their parents live in Venice.
    Hugs back at you, Ellen

it sucked growing up pre-internet. i carried the burden of thinking that i was a freak
    and not understanding my "abnormal" thoughts. i certainly would have taken a
    different path in life if i knew then what i know now...
    paula

Exactly. I agree with Queen Bridget, felt alone and like a freak. If, back in the 80's, I had the internet and all the info / resources, there are now, I probably would have transitioned.

Banned Read only
    Ellen,
    It might have been different but I wouldn't have traded those years for anything , thankfully my time was full enough for CDing not to take over otherwise I wouldn't have achieved the things I did and perhaps not even have had two great kids and three grandchildren to show for it .

It's easy to see the grass often appears greener but life is a compromise and we hopefully make the best of it while we can . I never thought my situation would end up as it has , how I'm now able to deal with my dressing needs but living a separate life to achieve it .

My age group would have had a far harder struggle to come to terms with being TG or TS the World had thankfully changed for us so much now , we look back in hindsight with the knowledge we have now so it paints a rosier picture than the reality .
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-10-2018 at 11:59 AM.

ME TOO !!
    I wish I had known that I was not alone all those years of guilt shame and pain. not to mention the loss of my first wife she would do it with me but when we broke up she told all my male friends. lost them all and my mechanic job .now I'm 61 feel 80 cant look as good as I used to and my current wife cant stand this part of me 38 years and we cant compromise . well maybe in my next life

I was 65 when I finally figured all this out! Different but...my children probably would not exist and a lot of other things I would not change now or ever! It is now here and not going away and is part of who I am! I am just enjoying the journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I have had these thoughts several times before. My end conclusion has lead me to think about two extremes. One is total emersion, and the second is to have never gone there at all. In the pre-internet days, it was very difficult to get information on the subject of CD'ing, or any quirky behaviours, for that matter.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

After almost 50 years the one thing that I wish I had understood and would have changed my CDing life is, It don't have to make sense or be justified, it just is. With this revelation I would have spent my energy on enjoying it and less on why and even guilt that was really nonexistent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I was a really messed up young man and boy. I stil am pretty screwed up. I wish i had never had this desire at all, and been normal. I tried so hard to be normal! I mean non CDing. It would have made life less solitary, and lonely.

I grew up in the 1940’s and 1950’s and by the mid 60’s I was in Vietnam. I lived in an extremely testosterone rich environment. But still, I knew I was different but didn’t have any knowledge or support. Of course I now know it was, and still is, GD (Gender Dysphoria). If I knew then what I know now, I would have made different decisions and would probably be a happier person today.
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

I never had the I was alone vibe. It was awesome finding out that I was not the only one though, and what I did had a name.

Aspiring Member
    Growing up I had gender dysphoria. I understood it was shameful. When I was around 12 years old (around 1960) I read my first material about transvestism, and it convinced me I was mentally ill. I longed to be normal (non-CD), and I tried so hard cure myself. I thought that being a CDer was about the worse thing that could happen to a person.

No doubt my life would have been different if I was born with today's understanding and tolerance for transgenderism. Nonetheless, I don't think that my life today isn't bad at all. Today I'm doing just fine. I don't live in the past, and I am grateful who I am today.

An often asked question and one that is actually very hard to answer. Without a doubt the Internet has given us easy access to a lot of information plus the ability to contact and connect with people who are struggling with the same issues. Prior to the Internet one had to rely on a very few books that were easily available and which often contained dubious information, magazines for cross dressers that were very sexual in their content and only readily available from Adult book stores or by subscription. Some carried personal ads and for those who were very brave and adventurous there was always the option of finding bars or clubs that were friendly toward transvestites and meeting like-minded people.

So, finding information was very difficult indeed especially when compared to what is available today. However the difficult part is guessing how I would respond to the current situation with the easy access to information and to other transvestites.

I did make use of what was available several decades ago and made contact with other transvestites but I'm not sure it caused me to change my path through life and I believe the reason for that is because of my emotional condition at that time in my life. For whatever reason I was never sure that I was fully a transvestite and for many years I operated under the delusion that I just had a strong fetish for, in particular, fine lingerie. Given today's access to cross dressing forums like this I don't know if it would have dispelled my delusion earlier and changed my personal journey.

Looking back I think that two things were happening in parallel. I was on a long slow journey of self-awakening to my transvestite desires and the world around me was making it easier for me to find out more about cross dressing and cross dressers. Sometimes I imagine that if I knew what I know today about the nature of transvestism and my own needs, I would never have married. But I cannot be sure. Emotionally and hormonally I was a different person to the one I am today. So. all I can say is that I am really not sure. Looking back I do remember some crossroads where I could easily have taken a different turn but would I be any happier today for it?

Always been a GIRL. Michelle1955's Avatar
    I started in the early 1960’s at about 6 or 7years old when playing with a neighbor girl also my age swapped underwear and panties to see /feel the differences between boys and Girls underwear / panties. Of course not a sexual thing at that age, all we had was the Sears and JCP catalog to look at panties, bras, hose , cloths back then to think how we would look in the girl cloths. Lots of unanswered questions in my teens, wanted to be a girl as long as I can remember. Married 39 years and have 2 girls, currently 62 years old, and wear patties 24/7, bras and cloths when the pink fog rolls in. Life is good, still would like to be a woman.

Like most of my sisters, I never knew about crossdressing as a normal way of life until well into my mid 30's. While in college, I took a course in Abnormal Psychology where I was told that "transvestism" was a mental disorder. This put me into a state of depression that lasted for many years. Fortunately, the internet came to the rescue.

I can see that most of us have regrets of the past. We didn't have enough access to knowledge, because the environment was more close than today and the concepts and definitions were totally different.
    I agree with you but nobody mention religion. I knew in childhood my sexual preferences were different from the other boys but that's really sinful and dirt so I dig deep and bury them. In my twenties it was something more clear but more sinful. At the end of the forties I tried and confirm my fears and really deep suffer in silence but in my 40s I moved to USA, the internet was more open and then I began croosdressing to finally around 4 years ago it was uncontrollable. I didn't know about dyspepsia just up to 2 years ago I began to understand who I am but I stopped crying. I still alive and look backward just bring sadness so let's look forward and do whatever is need to live as we want. I don't want to reach my final day and regret haven't done what I want to do.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Ellen,

This is one of the paradoxes of my life. The path not taken.
    I literally had a seminal point in my life where I made a conscious decision to put away my "queer" life. [At the time, in my late teens and twenties, I thought my proclivity and girly thoughts meant I was gay.] Let's just say the times put a ton of pressure on young men to "not be queer". There came a day when I literally made a choice to not buy a new dress I longed for, or taking up a relationship with a new and wonderful woman I met. She turned out to be my wife of now 41 years. But I made the choice to follow the path of a "normal, straight, and more socially acceptable path. I buried myself in coaching sports and my military career like I was always trying to prove I could be just like the other boys.

My point is that back then (in the 60s & 70s) every expression of femme in men was lumped under gay or queer. Real homosexuality, gender disorders, drag queens, transsexuals, CD's,..... all were considered gay. Of course we had almost no way of knowing any different. I didn't. I believed it and to some extent feared it. Thank God for the internet and enlightened forums like this where I can learn the distinctions between sexuality, orientation or gender; and help put my own gender issues (The Dysphoria we all have) into perspective.

Here's the paradox. Though I might have wanted to live a more CD or femme life early as a young man, the choices I made and the path (of a 'straight life'] paid tremendous dividends. I ended up falling into a fantastic career, doing things many men only dream of. I made a beautiful family with my wife. We prospered.
    There's times I look back and ponder what my life would have been like had I been true to that Femme Self and lived in "that" world. I would have still held all my talents, intelligence and abilities; just as a girl. Especially now, after suppressing my inner woman off and on for my entire life, and after finally coming to grips with my Life Issue, the urge to return to those days and have another crack at doing it looms in my memory. Would I have been the same person, only in a dress? Would I have prospered or had so many great doors of opportunity opened before me? I am not certain of that.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I have to agree with many because I too grew up "pre-internet" and didn't understand many things. Lurking in the "shadows" literally was something that I did several times a week, at 2 am in the morning, when Maria was allowed out in the world. There were no clubs, no contacts, and no socializing....<sad>

I've always taken life as it is. The 1940s and 50s were not a time to be a sissy in our district or NZ society generally so I kept my love of womens' clothing and fashions to myself. This has adapted as times changed but I was never worried or affected by the mores of the day.