Thread: A little heart broken.

A little heart broken.

So, its been a while since I was last on and a lot has happened.

Two days ago, I visited my Primary Care Physician at the VA Health Care Center I now go to.

I spoke with her about a lot of things regarding my health and well being.

One of the subjects I discussed was BA. A much needed step in my transition.

Well, I just got a phone call from her office.

I learned from that one short call that ALL VA facilities don't do bunk beyond HRT nation wide.

I still have no access to a therapist.

Instead I get stuck with a Shrink that wants to help me by stuffing more drugs down my throat. Drugs I want off of in the first place. Something he doesn't want to do. He doesn't listen to me and what I want do do.

With that devastating blow about Breast Augmentaion. I'm at a new low at the moment.

It doesn't mean I'm giving up. It just means I have to suffer a lot longer than I really wanted to.

Logically speaking, I know I should be fine and all. But that really does absolutely nothing for my broken heart at the moment.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Saw some info that the VA is at least getting feedback on adding BA and other gender confirmation surgeries to the allowed list, but yeah, right now, I am pretty sure that HRT and therapy is as far as they go. I have heard they will also cover orchiectomy, but not the rest of bottom surgery, under current policies.

Do you also qualify for Medicaid or Medicare? They cover more than the VA does.

Unfortunately, breast augmentation surgery and Facial Feminization Surgery are considered cosmetic and they usually won't pay for either! There are ways to work around this but that is beyond my understanding! Best wishes for success! hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I just appointment with therapist I see through VA (in Virginia Beach, VA). She is wonderful. So I know you can get seen by therapist within VA. Agree with about primary care and psychology at VA...at least at the clinic I go to, the experience wasn’t good...psychiatrist just wanted increase medication.

I feel your sadness. The VA is currently forbidden from doing any surgery for transition. I know the people at the VA hospitals I visit are really bummed out that they can't do more. And both they and all the residents/patients I've met are very, very accepting. As mentioned, the VA is currently collecting public comments to alter their surgery policy -- you should get yours on record. Google should be able to point you to the Federal Register site where you can file comments. Not much hope in the current political climate, but the thing about times is that they do change.

One valuable thing that the VA *will* do (besides hormone therapy and counseling) is they will set you up with a speech pathologist if you want to retrain your voice. That's pretty cool.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Thank you all.

I appreciate the comments.

My heartbreak is connected to the simple fact that when I was preparing to move, I asked about these kinds of things when I spoke to the individuals that were in positions of authority connected to my clinic and the Facility.

I specifically and directly asked and I was answered in the affirmative that they did cover everything except any of the bottom surgeries. This was back in November.

When I am finally ready to take a next step, a door is slammed in my face and I'm foeced back into that stasis I was stuck in living in Mississippi.

It gives me this perception of false appreciation of my service and forces me to disbelieve the thanks for my service I receive from staff durring every visit.

I'm doing better and waiting for a phone call from the LGBT Director and Social Worked at the Facility.

I'm hating the fact that all they seem to be able to do is send me into this game of phone tag that will ultimately lead to fruitless endeavor.

I fon’t know if it is allowed, but curious which city the clinic you attend is in. I do hope this question is allowed.

Emma what a sadness to hear that.
    What kind of drugs or why they want you take them?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I am so sorry to hear that Emma. I know you have been on the road for a long time now. Try to look at it as just another road repair that you will figure out a way around just because of your perseverance.

Hugs
    Rachel
    Last edited by Rachel Smith; 08-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Platinum Member
    I don't mean to be dismissive of what you want vs. your psychiatrist's recommendations. At the same time, I really think that his/her job isn't necessarily to do what you want, but rather to make a sound professional judgement about your health needs and to suggest a plan of care consistent with that assessment. If you do not agree with the diagnosis and treatment plans, then you always have the option of refusing it.

But I would like to suggest that you might benefit from asking your psychiatrist to explain both his/her assessment of your condition(s), the rationale for the proposed treatment and discuss any options to those medications as prescribed. Make that additional effort and you can make a more informed decision.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Emma, I am treated by the VA. Not for what u r. But, I've been getting all my medical treatments thru them for over 40 years!

I long ago came to realize that most of us r a number to those nice folks that work at the VA. They try their best but, when u have to treat/help 10 to 25 people a day, day after day, week after week, etc., etc. u r bound to run out of gas! So, consider that. Try to sympathize with them. Then hopefully, they'll want to help u as much as they can!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!