Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: female voice difficult for me

Can't help you until I can send a PM. I have some files I can send you, but I cannot post them anywhere. They are tutorials that were on youtube ten years ago, but have since been taken down. AFAIK, this is the only way to find them. I have tried numerous times over the years to locate the owner, to no avail.
    In the meantime, I refer you to all the tutorials on youtube. Try them, and see what works for you.

Here's something, at least: http://lena.kiev.ua/voice/
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 07-17-2018 at 02:57 PM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    When I worked in retail I had a regular customer who I saw maybe twice a week. She was a lovely lady but she looked, and sounded like Ernest Borgnine. Several other ladies I served had deep voices also. I could never manage a femme voice so I would just use a softer version of my normal voice.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I've practiced a few times trying to do a good female voice, but I could never do it right. Especially when the moment comes when I'm dressed up and in a public setting. So I just try to do a softer version of my voice to be as passable as possible. I have a deep man voice when I'm in my normal mode.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I basically talk a little softer,but at same time try to keep it at the same volume.I dont try anything more,fearing that I'll sound like one of Monty Python's female characture's.And with best will in the world im not going to fool anyone
    And I'm not being rude,but a lot of women in my neck of the woods have deep,raspy voices

Sophie
    Last edited by t-girlxsophie; 07-17-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Honestly I worry that some of the advice here could be harmful to your voice if you could stand doing it long enough for that to happen. You should speak with a relaxed throat, all the sound-shaping should be done in your head/mouth and you don't have to raise your pitch that much -- think of Bea Arthur who had a very low voice but would never be mistaken for a man. The techniques you have to learn are hard to get from a tape or a verbal description. You really need to see a speech pathologist to learn a voice that won't cause long term harm. I know that's probably more than folks who are only looking for an occasional one-hour outing want to get into, so all I can really advise is that if you start feeling discomfort in your vocal cords, stop.
    This is the best advice I have ever seen on this forum dealing with developing a female voice.

A female voice thread is one of those cyclic threads that pop up from time to time. I always read them with great interest because the voice has always been the most difficult thing for me. Face to face I present enough visual clues that my voice is diminished in importance. But, on the phone I am consistently misgendered. Also, I am being asked to speak publically more and more. I have two speaking engagements scheduled in the Fall.

So, after dealing with almost all of the other details of transition I did an internet search for a voice coach near me. In my search I discovered a link to a program at the University of Houston Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. The have a voice training program for transgender individuals.

I made an appointment at their speech clinic for evaluation. I spent 2 1/2 hours with three graduate students and the director of the program. Next, I had to get medical clearance from an EMT to make sure that my vocal chords were healthy. I was told at the clinic that this was important because "we are going to stress your chords."

A few weeks later I got a call from a clinician and we set up sessions for the summer semester. Here are the sequential steps in the training so far:

Week 1: Detailed instruction on diet, hydration, lifestyle, and habits.

Week 2: Instruction, demonstration and coaching on physical exercises to condition and tone muscles in the face, lips, neck and jaw.

Week 3: Determining the best female pitch for me. Instruction on vocal exercises to practice.

Week 4: Pronouncing sounds and words.

Week 5: Reading printed text, two pages at a time.

The clinic is closed for the remainder of the summer so my sessions will resume in September. In the future we will work toward sustainability, extemporaneous speaking, conversational speaking, body position, gestures and facial expression.

In the meantime, I have lots to practice. Changing the voice is not easy for most people and takes much practice, sort of like training for a marathon. The director of the program supervises every step of the process. She assures me that they can help me develop a true, sustainable female voice. It will take time.

The tricks and techniques and the "what I do's" that reappear from time to time on the forum never change. They also are not effective in most cases. I know of members here who think that they have it down but they only sound like a guy trying to sound like a girl. It really doesn't matter, you are probably not going to fool anyone anyway unless you have transitioned completely and corrected as many male markers as possible.

Granted, some people are very talented and can use their voice very creatively. Melanie Phillips is one of those people. She still markets her version of "How to Develop a Female Voice", I think. However, her method will probably not work well unless you have a similar skill set as hers. Incidentally, the transwomen that I know who have transitioned all tried voice coaches but gave up and use their normal voice.

Again, Pat is wise to advise that trying to change your voice for an extended without professional help could result in damage to your vocal chords.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 07-21-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Great post Jeri Ann.

but they only sound like a guy trying to sound like a girl.
    This makes me think of attempting to walk like a woman. Both are difficult to achieve convincingly. So maybe it's better to reduce manliness in the voice and walk rather than trying to mimic females?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Hey Ressie,

Great point. Yes walking is an issue also. Many cross dressers give it away with their posture and movements. I don't want to morf this thread into a walking thread by discussing it though.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 07-21-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post

It really doesn't matter, you are probably not going to fool anyone anyway unless you have transitioned completely and corrected as many male markers as possible.
    Exactly ! And being confident in your right to exist ends any thoughts that you are wishing to fool anyone.

Hey Regina,

You are so right. I had a trans friend over for dinner Saturday night. Jackie is not a member of this forum but she has transitioned, even on the job. She is a 27 year veteran on the Houston Police force. She was telling me about an embarrassing response she got while out in public recently. I asked her how she knew what other people were doing. She smiled and said, " I know, I need to stop looking for responses and I won't see any. They don't matter anyway."

I just want it to sound just a little bit feminine. I am not trying to disguise it. How can I make it sound a little more attractive, and sweet?
    Roxanne

To the original post, yes, I think a lot of us have this as a major issue. Thankfully my voice isn't too deep, kinda' middle of the road. I just bring it up just a touch and talk a little softer than normal. Thanks to countless visits to Walmart, I've heard plenty of real women who sound more like a man than I do, so, makes me feel better!

In my experience it takes a lot of practice. With practice most of us I think can achieve a passable female voice. I have an app that I use to test the pitch of my voice, which has helped me develop a female voice. I also ordered the Kathe Perez which helped some. Around seven years ago I received a great suggestion which was to talk from the upper part of the throat instead of from the chest area.

Over 7 years ago I would have never dreamed of achieving what I have achieved today. Now at work when I answer the phone I am consistently getting called ma'am. These are people who do not know me and have to totally really on my voice to decide how to gender me.

Grace

The pitch has come more naturally for me. But one thing that I just cannot seem to get is a natural breathiness with my voice. It's a process I guess.

A topical article on transgender people and voice training: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d839d5b3de78
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Hey Pat,

The program described in the article is exactly like the one I am in at the University of Houston.