Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing long nails

Growing long nails

Hi
    So I have been letting my nails grow, as I am preparing for meeting with some CD friends next week. It's now 2-3 mm long (just the length where it reaches the edge of the finger).
    Longer nails require me to use my hands a little different than usual, so I wouldn't scratch things as I touch them. That doesn't bother me, it's just an interesting glimpse into womanhood.
    However, since I am in the closet (except from my wife, who noticed my nails today and told they look terrible), growing out my nails makes a little paranoid, that someone might notice at work. People usually don't notice these small details (especially if you don't have any polish on), and if someone does, they would probably be categorizing me as a bit of a slob, but still it makes me very self-conscious about how my hands are showing.

Today, it accord to me that I am just exaggerating and over preparing, and some nail polish on normal size nails would do the trick just as well..
    (But then again, the secret feel of womanhood is so very exciting!!)

What do you think? Let it grow, or cut it back?

Platinum Member
    Hi Michal , It is all of the little things that makes it so special to us.

Sometimes myWife will tell me that my nails look Girly and I will thank her and
    she says " That was not a Compliment ! "Go Figure. >Orchid ..OO..
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 07-14-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    Michal,
    It depends how they are shaped and groomed , long dirty nails don't look good on anyone . I'm hoping I can have decent nails by next Friday for our summer ball as they will be the same colour as my dress , Teal blue .

As someone who regularly both grows out their nails and uses polish regardless of length, all I can tell you is that people WILL notice no matter what you do. Thu might be polite enough to not say anything but trust me, they notice.

People will notice, especially in a social setting, but it's unlikely they will mention it unless they are close to you. Whenever I keep my nails a bit longer, I will definitely get comments from my well meaning but busybody family members!

I've been keeping my nails long and hoping to hold out till August, as I'm planning an outing with the full works - makeup makeover at a makeup shop, manicure and maybe a pedicure, and styling on a new wig while dressed up.

I let mine grow out as long as they can, but because I am rehabbing a house to sell, they get broken or cracked often. As far as comments go, the only person who has ever done that is my daughter. When I started letting them grow out many years ago, it wasn't to look feminine. It is because I was breaking a bad habit of chewing on my nails. She commented even back then but accepted the answer as to why.

For the record, she keeps her nails very short due to playing instruments.

Personally, I think you could go 2mm without drawing much attention, even when in male mode. You can get some clear matte polish to give you the feel of being neat and polished without being obvious.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why are you worried what people at work think?
    If your nails aren't groomed and clean they will look awful.

Well, i am certainly keeping my nails clean and groomed. (Not too groomed as it might be obvious i am growing them on purpose). Keeping my nails clean is challenging , since now they tend to get dirty more easily.

I figure some people may notice, but as you said, i am guessing most people wouldn't say anything. And i do try to block out the "what people think" issue, but it`s not so easy to do... Especially when it comes to people i work with on a day to day basis.

I'll try to hold it for a few more days until my meeting..
    Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    As someone who regularly both grows out their nails and uses polish regardless of length, all I can tell you is that people WILL notice no matter what you do. Thu might be polite enough to not say anything but trust me, they notice.
    ^this. Your hands are moving a lot, and that draws attention to them automatically.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Mine have been 3/16 to 1/4 inch beyond the flesh tip of the digits for about four years. One nurse asked me how it was that my nails were longer than hers. I told her I liked them that way. No one at the woodworking store or my friends have said a word. Grandson did once, but I explained to him that I did not say anything about how he looked and asked him to not say any more about my nails. He has not mentioned it again. Of course being an old curmudgeon helps cut down on the flack.

I keep my nails trimmed and groomed. They are longer than most but I have seen quite a few men with nails longer than mine. There have been a handful of times I have been asked about it. I wasn't about to answer with a crossdressing confession because that would be a lie.

I pay no attention to doing anything differently so as to not break them. If it happens, oh well...

love the response Blue Orchid...i have had the same response from my wife numerous times. my nails are v long, shaped and trimmed. i used to wear polish on them both colored then went to clear. have not done so recently so not to evoke that kind of comment. People at a few dinner parties have commented and i heard that they later talked among themselves about it. Bothered my wife but not me. Call me selfish but I think they look great and i am happy to have them that way. I must say that i have had to learn to re-position my fingers when i type....but it is so wort it.

20141128_094356asmall.jpg

My nails are about the length and shape of Jennifer. They use to be a tad longer but I was getting a lot of comments. It bothered my wife so I shortened they like in her photo. Yes you will get comments if you keep them to long.

I'd suggest you go get a manicure. Do it every couple of weeks and they'll keep your nails looking well cared for and that will handle the question of not looking good. Plus it's a great thing to do for yourself. In terms of people at work noticing, it depends on what you do. If you have an office job that includes meetings, people will notice simply because meetings are boring and folks end up looking at every small detail in the room and on their coworkers. But if you have them taken care of, who's really going to say anything against good grooming? It would be like them questioning why you wash your face.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Silver Member
    False nails are always available.

Quote Originally Posted by Michal82 View Post
    That doesn't bother me, it's just an interesting glimpse into womanhood.
    I'm a fan of longer fingernails but when I visually poll women I find most don't have them. So, to me, having longer fingernails is not really a glimpse into womanhood.

Like others have said above when my nails extend past my fingers women notice. Recently in a conversation with a women and she couldn't take her eyes off my longish nails (which were not polished in any way). I was moving my hands as I talked and her eyes were locked on and following my my fingernails the whole time. It was kind of weird to watch really. But she didn't say anything.

I'm retired so I care less than when I was working but if you are concerned what co-workers think then you might want to keep them shorter, or take up the guitar.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 07-17-2018 at 08:35 AM.

I tried growing mine some but they kept splitting and I was always chipping them so I've just got some nails at Sallies and love them.

I get the odd comment about my long thumb nails but most have accepted them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I started wearing my nails long when I was a teenager, up until about 6 or 7 years ago. I'd grow them until I broke one, then cut them all back to the length of the broken one and start over. My preferred length was about 3/8"-1/2" of free edge. I got a lot of comments about them, and developed a habit closing my hands to hide my nails, which was also a noticeable thing. I tried to keep a clear nail hardener on them, but I wasn't consistent with that. I did always have them clean and shaped, even before I started having them done at a salon. I haven't had my nails that long in a long time. I don't even think it looks good (on me) anymore. I don't know why. I don't like really short nails either. About 1/8"-1/4" is my preference now. I wear polish in male mode frequently, and get a mani pedi about every other month. I think the nail art they do now is awesome, and 20 or 30 years ago I would have been all over it. Now, not so much. I'll admire it on someone else.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    After my nail bar experience I've tried to grow my nails,and decided that I'm going to get tinted gloss put on them,Dont imagine they will last as my job plays havoc with my hands,but im comfortable with anyone seeing my manicured nails these days

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Jen,

Your nails look lovely.

The avvy pic isn't me
    I get an immense amount of enjoyment out of watching people noticing my nails.

I was blessed to have girly hands and after many years of taking supplements ( i'd mention the name of it, but it's apparently against forum policy), and going to salons, my nails are very noticeable.

I've managed to get many a drive-up window person doing this comical yo-yo head thing looking at my fingers. I also love all the comments, even the less than complimentary snide remarks from women who point out that my hands, fingers and nails are more feminine than theirs...….nothing takes the starch out of that snarkyness more than a big smile and thank-you.

My point of all that rambling? Come on folks...…..just own it, we free to look the way that please us.
    I understand the issue of keeping peace with unaccepting SOs and all, but denying yourself the privilege of what you want out of fear in the workplace is just not being free.

I'm sorry if that offends anyone.
    Cass

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I dont know about anyone else noticing,but when I recently had acrylics put on I couldn't sop looking and admiring them

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Michal82 View Post
    What do you think? Let it grow, or cut it back?
    If your wife thinks their too long, try giving her a nice back scratching and see if she still feels the same way. If you don’t want them to be noticed at work just keep them guessing, grow them out, then trim them up ... rinse (or matte polish) and repeat.

Hello everyone, I was a chronic nail biter till a couple months ago. My cudicals were a mess, they looked like shit. I guess I started when I was just getting into pedicures, caring what my nails looked like. I quit cold turkey, now my nails and cudicals look great. I have been using tea tree oil on them. Putting down a few coats of clear nail polish, then matt clear on top. The underside I use a white nail pencil. I do a lot of maintaince work. The polish really keeps them strong. Just have to start wearing glove when I work(i hate gloves) take care all! Hugs Faith