Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing long nails

The avvy pic isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by Faith Noel View Post
    The underside I use a white nail pencil. I do a lot of maintaince work.
    The white pencil on the underneath of the nails is my trick to creating French nails; saves me some cash and since I usually plunk down 80 to 90 bucks with tip, every trip to the salon, every dollar saved is worth it. I get charged $30 for my mani, and they want $40 for French.

Takes a little more care to keep up cleanliness, but it's still worth it. I keep cheap latex gloves in my vehicle and in the home when I know they can get dirty......like when I go camping.

Cass

This subject took on more than I thought.

Some of you replied that you keep your nails long, groomed and with nail polish. Well, the way I see it, that's a tell-tell sign of crossdressing (long nails serve no other purpose than looking feminine. It is not common in man). If you're presenting as female (or anything in between male to female) the nails are a part of a complete look. If you are in the closet (to your co-workers) long polished nails are not an option. That's the way I see it.

You might say or think "I don't care about what other people think", and go with long nails in male mode but I'm not there (yet). I wish I could go to work with high heels simply because I like it, but we all know life are not that simple. Some things just scream crossdressing:
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...9d373a079ba6b0

If you are a crossdresser in public, that's just admirable to me.

hello,
    I compromise - one hand with long nails one with short
    And I play guitar!!!
    luv J

My "long nails at work" had kind of an interesting start. I had long nails and wore clear polish in high school and college, but cut my nails before my first real job interview. I started in the warehouse, so grooming didn't get a lot of scrutiny. I had long hair, too, but that wasn't an issue either. There was a black guy who worked with me in the warehouse who also had long hair which he usually straightened. He had extremely long nails and wore clear polish, and I never heard anybody even mention it. It was actually him who gave me the courage to wear my hair in various styles to work and to again grow my nails long and wear clear polish. He had really strong nails, awesome nail beds, and was meticulous about keeping his nails clean on done. Even at the longest mine ever got, they weren't as long as his. This was before the days of acrylics, and none of the women had nails as long as his, either.

When I started moving up in the company and got out of the warehouse, I didn't cut my hair or m nails. I got an occasional comment about both, but nothing that I ever knew effected me career-wise or income-wise. That being said, I'm certain I wouldn't have been hired in to any job other than entry level.

Jennifer does have great nails. I keep mine a little long but file and shape them all the time
    If you can't wear heels, what's the sense of dressing?......

Habitual nail biter, but I found that when I was able to let them grow longer I tended to stop biting them. I have a split along a ridge on my right thumb so I try to get that on to look nice but it often causes me problems. While working to assist with beer delivery I found an inexpensive manicure set, and bought 3 of them. I routinely gave myself manicures and my nails would grow past the tip of my finger up to 1/2 an inch. Because they were strong and well shaped I was able I put them to good use by slicing the shrink wrap on the palettes. Now I routinely have them painted either single colors or custom designs. I get compliments as well as manicure and polish requests. The main question I get is if they are my real nails, and why are they so strong. I tell them yes they are real and because males tend to have stronger nails. I enjoy them. They neither detract from or hinder my work. I'm not entirely closeted as I have come to work multiple times in girl mode. I know people talk about me behind my back. But I also am very open to answering questions about why. Ultimately its what I enjoy and its not hurting anybody.