Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wig Salon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar

Wig Salon

Reading another post about buying wigs.I felt I had to share my recent experience (My first) in a wig salon.I hope it may help other Ladies who perhaps buy their wigs off the internet,as I have done and in some cases still do.Now I'm definately not an extravagant spender,but I really wanted to get myself at least one good quality wig feeling it w ould be a good investment in the long run

My two friends and I had booked an appointment by email,And the manageress said there was no problem seeing all 3 of us.When we arrived we were greeted warmly and made to feel welcome.I was first to be seen and was seated in dressing room,perused a few wig brochures and the manageress went to fetch,if possible the styles I liked,nothing was too much bother.Well after a few different styles I found THE ONE as soon as I had it on I knew I had to have it,she seemed delighted too.

My friends both went after me,and they too decided to purchase a wig.One of my friend's boldly asked for a discount as we all bought a wig (and her the non thrifty Scot too ) which we got.We thanked Rachel for all her help,she was brilliant

I have to say this has to be up there with the best experience of my Femme life.If you get the chance to get along to a professional Wig Salon I urge you to go for it

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

My funnest moments out were to the World of Wigs in Atlanta, the girls there had so much fun with me.

In my years of on and off crossdressing I have always been treated very nicely while shopping for wigs in wig shops (I have bought four) and also in an adult store (I have bought one there), everyone I have met there were very supportive and non judgmental.

I finally worked up the courage to make an appointment at a salon, some other posters have recommended as being TG/CD friendly in the Houston area. I went to the appointment today. It was great experience. Being able to try different styles and colors really goes along way to making a decision. I ended up getting a color I never would have thought looked good on me. It actually has blonde highlights!

So as not to derail the OP's topic, I'll make a new post about that experience and post of few pictures, too.

Updated : 9/16/2018. My post about my Wig Shopping excursion is up in Photos section. I'd love to hear your comments.
    Last edited by Chloe St Clair; 09-16-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Banned Read only
    Sophie,
    I agree , I was given details of a lingerie shop that also supplied a wide range of wigs . I had to wait a few weeks for an appointment , it was well worth it , after trying on a good selection we both sighed knowing we had found the one , the only problem was that the SA sighed again and then said it's a lovely wig but you may not like the price . We did some friendly bartering and she offered £40.00 off . When I returned home I did some online checks and she had given the best deal . I agree if you want to feel comfortable and are thinking about going full time then a good wig is the way to go , I feel confident , it's so easy to style , and i's very breathable , even in the recent hot weather it isn't too hot . ( I must update my avatar as it shows my old wig ).

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Sophie,
    I agree , I was given details of a lingerie shop that also supplied a wide range of wigs .
    Went shopping for a wig. Left the lingerie shop with a merkin (LOL)
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Platinum Member
    Hi Sophie , Over the years I have always had great experiences at wig stores,

I always figure on spending at least 1.5 hours there, It is fantastic. >Orchid ..oo..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I can understand your point Tracii but i can tell you my friend is certainly not a rude person,Together we had spent over £350 and Rachel the manageress was only too happy to knock a little off.

I sent her an E-mail when I returned home thanking her for her help and telling her how much we enjoyed the visit to her establishment,which she in return thanked me for.I would doubt she thought us rude

Sophie

Wouldn't matter anyway she's English

Finding a good wig is hard lol still looking for mine!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Some of us here have been saying for years go to a professional its so worth it.
    I try to explain that what you think looks good on the display or catalog may not look good on you.
    There is so much more to selecting a wig perfect for you that you just can't do online.
    The shear number of wigs the shop has in their inventory makes your choices almost endless.

I'm so glad to see more new threads where people have finally taken the plunge and gotten help from the pros.
    Well done ladies!!
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.

You've got me inspired as my current bob is a cheapy from China from 2006 so I think it's time for an update. So will have to brave it tomorrow early.

I feel very much at home when I visit a wig salon.

They seem to know how to deal with the likes of us.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It's on my bucket list!
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

there’s a wig shop in a mall near me but probably different from a wig salon though, i’m not sure . did everyone usually go en femme to the shop or guy mode? i’ve been used to amazon wigs so far lol

gone both ways. Never a problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I'm actually planning to go to my usual wig shop dressed, and actually try on and maybe get a wig styled properly, early next month! I hope it goes well - I usually go buy my wigs in drab, so this will be a little bit of a coming out eveny for me as well.

My first trip to a wig shop was unplanned and unfortunately pretty short. I went in drab and was a little nervous. Once I asked for some help the owner and SA were quite friendly and helpful. They recommended a couple of looks for me. I will say it was not easy picking out my first wig while in drab. I had to imagine how it would look with makeup and no beard. It made it more difficult to choose.
    Lovin life!

I have been to a couple wig shops, called ahead and was treated very well. My latest purchase (5 years ago) I was looking for a style and color to fit my age and look. There were to women at the shop and they were extremely helpful. they studied my face shape and I ended up with a wig that I really like, the look and style and color. It was also so nice to try several wigs to find the one I love how it works on me. They also spent time explaining proper wig care how to wash and style and said come back anytime if you need help with the wig! A great experience and having the opportunity to try different wigs and get their input was wonderful. I did go in drab and it would have been better with make up on as mscaseyjane pointed out, but it worked out for me.

Question: how does one deal with ones full coverage foundation coming off on the wigs you’re trying on?

Curious about this as well - I know I leave a lot of foundation on my poor wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaK View Post
    Question: how does one deal with ones full coverage foundation coming off on the wigs you’re trying on?

A high-quality wig is absolutely a worthwhile investment. I bought one a couple years ago after going through several unsatisfactory cheap wigs over the years, and I've been delighted with it ever since. Certainly not inexpensive (mine cost about $500), but, no joke, a life-altering purchase. Really gave me that "finished" look, which, in turn, gave me the confidence to finally get out in public.

The shop owner was a total sweetheart, super friendly, very knowledgeable, and definitely steered me in the right direction. I'm probably about ready to buy another wig to have a little variety, and I'll definitely be going back to her.

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaK View Post
    Kat,

Most wigs can be cleaned just like human hair; even the synthetics. Of course, ask your wig tech about how to maintain the specific wig you purchase. All my synthetic wigs (3) can be cleaned with normal hair shampoo and warm water. My wig tech recommends simple baby shampoo, but conditioning shampoos work too. Handle them gently. Pat them dry and hang it out; comb it. No special skills or supplies required.
    On the other hand, I have also taken 2 of my wigs in for a professional cleaning and conditioning. They normally restyle it too. The shop cleaning is always great and I love the extra softness they bring to it. The cost depends on the shop. I've purchased from 2 local shops. One charges abut $45 for a full clean and restyle and the other $65. It's worth it.

A visit to the wig shop is usually a delight. [Side note: I was upset over rude treatment I received from the shop where I bought my 1st wig. I couldn't believe the tech "Sir" 'ed me twice, and they over charged me for a wig cleaning. I'll be going to my other shop for a while.]....... The wigger will treat you like gold. (even my first shop normally did). Go en femme. It helps shape the wig image you want. They've seen CD and TG before. They're an important part of the customer base. But GO!!!
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Fifi Mahoney's in New Orleans on Royal Street will do custom wig fittings for guys and makeup too - and they're spectacular at it. It's the French Quarter, so, nobody pays much attention to anybody dressed down there, but that's a really fun place to go. Only have two wigs from there, the rest are inexpensive jobs I've picked up off evilbay or at estate sales. One of my favorites though is just an $18 brown synthetic job I got off the web, pop it on, spend five minutes with it, and you're done!

I have purchased a couple of wigs at a local shop. One suggestion I will give everyone is spend a little time looking at different styles online. I bookmarked 3 different styles that appealed to me. My last trip to the wig shop I walked in, walked up to a (very cute) worker and simply showed her my favorites on the internet. She took me straight to a very similar style and color. She liked it and said it would fit my face well so I bought and was on my way. Made for a very short visit.
    I never new how masculine I was until I tried to be a woman