Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clothes shopping goes slightly wrong

Clothes shopping goes slightly wrong

As a very closeted dresser i normally buy all my female clothing on line as I am too nervous to buy from stores. But going into a local discount store in town that sells most things including male and female clothes I noticed a couple of nice skirts on a rail. They were in my size and were reduced a lot in price so too good a bargain to miss. I summoned up as much courage as possible and grabbed them from the rail and put them in the basket covering them with other things I had bought. I got to the checkout and went to one of the newer checkout women as I know a lot of the others in there. She checked everything through without a second glance and I paid and walked away thinking that went easier than I thought. As I got near the exit the door alarm went off and I stopped and looked around and in a very loud voice in a crowded place shouted to me 'sorry I forgot to take the security tags off the 2 skirts you just bought can you come back please'. So much for keeping things quiet! I did realise though that a few months ago I would have been horrified by this but I just walked back over and thought oh well, so what! so I must be improving. I still think I will stick to online shopping though in future. Carrie Anne

After THAT experience, you should have no problem shopping in person from now on.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. That was pretty funny.

Xox,

Tina V.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its more fun to shop in the stores because you can try things on first. That way you save money.
    I will add nobody cares what you are buying and that includes the cashier.

Believe it or not, it's little things like this that will help to build your confidence. You learn that the world didn't come to an end just because someone knows you cross dress.

You can see the cashier moved things through without a second glance. And the small mistake you can watch for next time of leaving the sensors, I bet did not lead to others pointing at you and laughing, but no response at all. I have bought from Savers, and they don't care. But I also prefer the online way, or supermarket with self-checkout. But you pay more.
    Hugs, Ellen

Gold Member
    When asked by a sales clerk about fem items, I just ask for a gift receipt, That way they think it is for a gift to
    someone else.
    Rader

Good little story Carrie, if it was me I would have tried to amble back without it being obvious it's me they're calling to lol. I tend to dress when buying stuff anyway.

Hope you have fun on your next trip (were the skirts worth it btw?) .

Regards
    Wiccle x
    (reposting because my other post seemed to disappear)

Variation on this theme. The first time I bought something while dressed was at a Walmart in another town. I went to the checkout, gave over my bra and panties, was told the price and pulled bills from my wallet. Paid and was receiving change when the SA looked at me and suddenly realized "This is not a GG." Probably from my horrible novice fingernail paint job as much as anything. I was walking away and she vigorously closed her register, calling to another SA, while stepping out into the aisle between registers. I was walking away putting the change in my wallet, got to the door and turned to look directly at her, showing my newfound level of courage letting her see me completely while she pointed at me and whispered to the other SA. I departed with no further problems and no scene. That's the only such circumstance I've had. Must be because I've switched to stick-on nails. (smiley)
    Last edited by Mary Lawrence; 07-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.

There's a fine line between paranoically shopping only with self-checkouts and proudly strutting into a Nordstrom's dressing room with an armful of dresses!

Wiccle, yes the skirts were well worth it. Have had one of them on tonight. Fits perfectly too. Carrie Anne x

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've found shopping in store gets easier each time you do it, I'm still not 100 percent there but maybe 95 percent. I worked in retail and alarm tags going off happened several times a day, just one of those things.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

While the feeling can be intimidating at first, nobody who works at the stores cares if you are buying male or female clothes. They are there to sell you stuff and will gladly take your money. Occasionally I might run into another shopper that might stare or make a comment but it is super rare that anyone even pays attention.
    ~Sometimes it's better to just let things be, let people go, don't fight for closure, don't ask for explanations.~

Buying the stuff isn't the problem... trying it on in the store is a whole other issue though!
    Sometimes even to live is an act of courage. ~Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Trying it on isn't a huge issue either once you get past thinking about it. Most retailers don't monitor their fitting rooms and aren't going to stop you from taking women's clothes into a stall. Now if you are presenting as a guy and go marching into a busy fitting room loaded with women you are probably going to have a problem.
    ~Sometimes it's better to just let things be, let people go, don't fight for closure, don't ask for explanations.~

I shop just about every day after work, bought tons of female clothes. Panties,bras,slips, skirts and dresses. Never had a bad comment. Some will say, you have good taste! They really don't care what your buying as long as you got the money! One thing is make sure it has a price tag on it. It gets a little nerve racking when three SA show up and they are trying to figure out the price of a certain item. Been there done that. Have fun with it! Hugs Faith

I had the same thing happen in small department store, but all of the SA’s know I’m buying for me.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I ask the SA’S first, they’re always helpdful.

I am alot more comfortable when I shop dressed, I still find it hard to shop as him. I have been trying to rebuild my confidence though from an incident I had a while back in a coffee line.

Platinum Member
    Those security tags can be annoying. If you're buying something with one on you have to go through a human cashier. They are almost impossible to remove without proper equipment, and, if you screw up the dye packet will ruin the clothes. I check for those devices before reaching the cashier to alert the person to remember to remove it. There are other devices which do not 'explode' but will also give rise to the dreaded security going off. They are usually thin paper tags. Heck, many times I've seen alarms going off when people walk into the store. My office key card use to set off an alarm at Target.

Aspiring Member
    I've found it helpful to fold items so that the bar code is on top. I use the self check-out where it's easy to scan the folded garment and have it dissappear into a plastic bag. Works for this old-timer.

Ineke

That cashier needs to be demoted to a floor sweeper. Not a nice person.

I've never had anyone show surprise at having me purchase all of my feminine things. My only reaction came from an SA at Penney's when I bought three bras. She smiled and said that I had made a good choice and that I would look nice wearing them.

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, as they say. Good combat experience for you
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaK View Post
    There's a fine line between paranoically shopping only with self-checkouts and proudly strutting into a Nordstrom's dressing room with an armful of dresses!
    It's more of a slippery slope....

I went from trying on stuff in drab at thrift stores or Kohls or Macy's to biting the bullet and going in dressed to Nordstrom. Eighteen months later, a number of the Nordstrom SAs know me by name.

Remember, the clerks don't know who you are, whether in drab or dressed.

Good Lord, Where HAVEN'T I gone out. I'm on kind of a 4 week rampage now, so I've pretty much lived en femme full time for a month. That means all the errands and shopping. Pumping gas. Go to my grocery (local, yes they know me). The bank. The thrift store. Restaurants. Bars. Support group.
    It's been utterly fantastic, to the point where I almost don't think about it. I just dress and go. I'm almost oblivious to any stares or comments; and they have been few. These feel like my natural clothes and the way I should be.

Carrie. Be not discouraged and have no fear. I could tell you "going out" stories that would curl your hair or laugh your ass off; all where something went wrong while I was en femme. It will happen just like it happens in your "real guy life".

Don't let this dissuade your from going out and being You. I expect it is only a matter of a couple more excursions before you're comfortable enough to actually engage The World en femme. It was a wonderful realization that I no longer went out totally "alone" in my own mind, and just cruising about in women's clothing just to prove I could do it. I began to actually engage other people without fear and be able to look them in the eye as Ilene. It was like a huge puzzle piece falling into place.

PS: The retail sales assistants LOVE you. Go dressed. I shop sometimes just for the interaction and having them fawn all over me. Who doesn't love a little TLC?! Never had a retail SA deny me dressing room access. Quite the opposite. I've had them literally lead me by the hand to the women dressing room. Have no fear. No one is taking notes or taking pictures. No one remembers your name. But they will always remember you.... fondly.
    Last edited by IleneD; 07-20-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Yes, all the little instances help to build confidence. Some years back I was in Macey's trying on some really nice dresses as Stef. I was in the changing room with my dress off with my panties, bra, slip, hose, etc when a SA knocked on the door asking if anyone was in there. In my most feminine voice I replied it was it was occupied. She sang out "when have a man in here" I then opened the door and the look on her face was priceless as she saw me standing there in my slip, wig and full makeup as a woman. After that, no problem at all out and about as a woman