Thread: Le cage aux folles

Silver Member

Le cage aux folles

Its been around for a long, long time, men dressing as women and some spectacular tap dancing in HEELS. Robbigirl's post about CDing and comics gave me the idea of looking at the musical. After watching several versions, I wondered if any sisters got into or more into CDing because of it?

I got to see the original movie at the time of its release. I found that it only strengthened my desire to crossdress freely. It supported my belief that what I was doing was completely natural .

My BF and Style Guru Millisense's Avatar
    That's a very interesting question
    The 1978 (non-musical) film came out when I was 17, just as I was stopping CDing. (I had started at 9, stopped at 17, and just resumed this year.) I didn't equate anything in La Cage Aux Folles with my own experience, or Tootsie, Victor/Victoria, Some Like it Hot, Milton Berle, or any comics, etc. I suppose because they were all comedies. That I was CDing wasn't really something teenage me could laugh about.

The two movies that made an impression were Psycho and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I had started dressing in my neighbor's clothes a lot (I know, not cool) and seeing Psycho during that time concerned me that something obsessive was wrong with me a la Norman Bates. 1975's Rocky Horror Picture Show scared me because Frank N. Furter was such a whackadoodle I became afraid I was going to become crazy or, perhaps more truthfully, gay.

So CDing in media scared me more than inspired me or make me feel like I was normal.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No, Jenny. All of the a fore mentioned flicks came out before I began dressing. But, I was struck by how sexy everyones legs looked in nylons in Rocky Horror. Even the men's!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    The original French version of La Cage was a massive inspiration to me- I saw it more than a dozen times in the cinema and still enjoy watching it on DVD from time to time. I always admire the life that Jacob the 'maid' had, living in a safe place, able to dress in these incredibly sexy outfits, loved by his employers, what a dreamy life to live, at least for a phase of one's life. I count that film as probably the film which most affected my life.
    I used to have a short attention spa

I worked in a coffee lounge on Sunday afternoons called Le cage aux follies, this was a reinforcement of my dressing for me.

I learned to be a good waitress, and fend off advances from male customers.

About half the staff were transgendered or crossdressers.

The other girls helped me immensely with my confidence.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.