Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HRT and Starting Age

April, you have had a bit of a roller coaster hormonal ride, but it sounds as if your body has finally figured it out. I am glad for you.

As for the under 18 crowd, they are no doubt highly managed by the med community. Oh how I wish that resource of puberty blockers, estradiol, and and adoloescent pre op counselling had been available for me. Better late than never, and I am happy that today's younger generation has these resources.
    Marie

Hi all
    I should have returned sooner to talk about myself since my stroke. Well I have seen my endocrinologist since the last time i was here. She has told me to stay on my original doses of HRT. I am on a few extra medicines now. So I'm good or better. No longer as stressed as at first. Thank all of for your posts about my condition hope I was able to shed some light and help another member.
    [COLOR="blue"]Contessa Marie D

I'm TG. A fem-male so I look male sometimes.

Dressing is necessary, the type of clothes you wear not so much.

This above all to thy own self be true!

Hi everyone,

I'm north of 60 and just 3 months into HRT; Spiro & Estradol in pill form. I keep reading here and there that the pill version of estradiol is ineffective and even possibly counter-productive in that it gets converted into estrone which is apparently not something we want a lot of. Like everyone I'm eager for big changes to happen and know that it's going to take a lot of time but should I ask my doctor to consider patches, shots, or other delivery systems? Does this matter?

Too many humanities courses and no medical training.

elizabethamy

Elizabethamy, first, make sure your doctor has extensive experience with hormone therapy in MTF patients. Next, make sure your estrogen and testosterone levels are being monitored because they are the key for guiding effective therapy in most people.. Lastly, make sure the treatment is individualized to your needs which may, in fact, require different delivery methods.

But you knew all that, right?

Laura,

I did know all that, though I suspect my dr (a GP) is maybe a little super cautious about this. Won't get my first level check until October so then I'll know if we have made any progress at all...thanks.

Laura's advice about being sure your doctor has extensive experience with transgender HRT is important. It is difficult for me to believe that a GP in Indiana has such experience, but of course it is possible. Do you have access to an endocrinologist, it would probably be best. From my own experience, I too was started on oral Estradiol. Blood work was done after two months and was then changed to Estradiol transdermal patches. Things really took off after that!

Silver Member
    The primary site for cross-conversion between estradiol and estrone is the liver (it goes both ways), as controlled by a gene on chromosome 17. Taking oral estrogens introduces them via the hepatic portal directly into the liver. You can take most estradiol pills sublingually instead of swallowing them, which puts the majority of the estradiol directly into circulation.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by MarieTS View Post
    April, you have had a bit of a roller coaster hormonal ride,
    You have no idea
    If by finally figured it out you mean 3 shots of estrogen ago then, yeah, maybe.
    Took pills for 5 years, then a GP switched me to patches. They weren't working.
    In addition to the constant hot flashes I started breaking out in an itchy red rash from the adhesive,
    the residue of which wouldn't come off until the skin it was attached to came off.
    So onward and well... this is one of those moments were I'm pretty sure the universe is like, so you want be a girl eh?
    would you stick a gigantic needle with a huge syringe FULL of estrogen into your own ass for it missy?
    to which I say
    Yes ma'am may I please have another!

WHACK!

Thanks for sharing. I'm 55 and wondering

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    this is one of those moments were I'm pretty sure the universe is like, so you want be a girl eh?
    would you stick a gigantic needle with a huge syringe FULL of estrogen into your own ass for it missy?
    Injectable Estradiol Valerate requires only a 22 gauge, 1 1/2" needle and a very small quantity of solution, hardly a syringe full. The needle does need to be inserted all the way but it is not a horrible experience. I injected weekly for three years. Doctor switched me back to pills.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 10-13-2018 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Trimmed quote, please do it yourself next time

Silver Member
    I passed out cold - again - at my last blood draw in August. I woke up with 2 nurses propping me up and the phlebotomist waving a capsule under my nose. Then off to an exam room, via a wheelchair, for 15-20 minutes to be monitored before they let me escape. (They got the blood, thank GOD.)

The idea of sticking myself gives me the willies. I’ll stick with the pills ...
    Lea

Either the E or the Spiro are giving me intestinal fits. As a person who hates and avoids all things medical, I find myself totally willing to try patches, pellets, or even self-administered injections if it will keep the hormones going and alleviate the gut troubles. I see the dr. next week though she does know about my troubles. Here's a fun twist: the insurance company now won't pay for them to test my E and T levels prior to the Dr. appointment, only after. So I guess my Dr. and I are supposed to talk about the weather, then get the results of the test? How does that help anybody? Arggh.

At least the HRT appears to be working, at its deliberate pace...thanks for advice. (And I may live in Indiana, but in this town I am surrounded by frighteningly smart people, including my GP. Endo availability is problematic as it's a drive and several months wait for an appt with a trans-friendly one...so I'll stick with my GP until it clearly just isn't working, right now it seems to be, though rockily)

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I turned 69 a few months ago and just started HT a month and a half ago. While it may change later, I'm taking both E and T orally for now as I determine how I'm responding to the slow but noticeable changes to my mind and body. I'm most pleased with the major reduction in the daily angst I'd been feeling for the last several years and at times I'm actually feeling what may be "happy" for the first time in a very long time. It took me years to sort out all the various issues that I've faced and after dealing with everything else, this was the only thing left to try. I probably could have started a few years ago, but I wanted to be sure that this was the best choice for me and those I care about. It turns out they are glad I'm doing this because I'm much nicer to be around now. While I'm not all that fond of the pain associated with breast tissue growth, it's a small price to pay for the relief I'm feeling between my ears.

My doctor is the go-to in our region for this kind of therapy and she told me I was nowhere near the oldest person she has been treating and spoke of one MTF starting at age 84 and doing well. I have two close friends who are both a year or two older than me and although they may have started before me and farther along in their transitions, they are doing well physically and mentally. Age seems to be less of an issue than attitude in this group.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.