Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DADT Twists and Turns

DADT Twists and Turns

Had an amazing change in my wife's attitude towards my CDing a few weeks back. I'm still digesting it, and it's gonna sound like cheap CD fiction, but it's all true. First, some background:

1980 - Wife and I have "the chat" a while before marriage. We enter a decades long phase of cold DADT. There's an understanding I'm going to do my thing if she's not in town but otherwise she will have no exposure whatsoever to Michelle.

2014 - I ask my wife, for the first time ever, if she'd like to be directly involved. I'm shocked she replies she'd be game. We take a girls trip to Las Vegas. She is a total trooper, pleased to experience first hand it's all kind of harmless.

A new dawn! I move my stash from a suitcase in the attic to the closet in the spare bedroom. I ask a year later if we're going back to Las Vegas. "No, that's your thing, I don't care to be involved. You go, have fun." We enter a stage I think of as "tolerant DADT".

2018 - I prep for a big Michelle weekend which includes renting a dress from Rent The Runway which is scheduled to arrive the day after she leaves town. The day before she leaves town I return home from the gym and she announces "Michelle Houston just got a package from Rent The Runway. Please explain." Ugh ugh ugh. "A group is going in drag to Hamburger Mary's on Saturday so I rented a party dress."

Her response was most unexpected. "Sounds like fun! I get to see the dress. Not on you, just see it. Oh, it's very sexy, you'll look nice in it. May I try it on?" She tried it on and, yes, wore it much better than me. Then: "We could go to Hamburger Mary's, that would be fun." Puzzled expression from me. "Yes, you would dress up."

WOW! Like I said, I'm still processing, but looks like tolerant DADT might be heading in a new direction. Stay tuned! Hugs, Michelle
    Last edited by michelleddg; 08-05-2018 at 06:23 PM.

Awesome! Think about what you did in Las Vegas and see if there's a reason she thought of it as 'your thing' and not a shared thing. Don't do that again. It would be cool if she could start thinking of it as something you two can do together.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Wow, so cool. Hope she gets into it with you.

Very cool! Best wishes that it stays very cool and this becomes something you both share often! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member
    Hi Michelle , Just like a light switch It turn off & Back on on.

Lets hope that the light at the end of the tunnel is not just another train coming the other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>Orchid ..OO..
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 08-04-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Although I don’t mind if my SO CDes, I told my him there is really nothing in CDing for me to “see” him in women’s clothes. If he just stayed home and hung around the house while dressed, it would not be anything I would consider “participating” in. Why would I want to stay home dressed up??!!

So that said, we decided that we would do things together that is fun for both of us. (Not grocery shopping!!!). So we go dancing, restaurants, concerts, dress up events at a local hotel, music night at a various pubs, volunteer for things, etc. We went to a Lady Gaga concert where my SO had the greatest dress and I got to wear sequins! My favorite. Being able to dress up and participate together is fun for both of us.

I believe the OP hit on the key for some SO’s to be able to have a good time while their partner enjoys CDing. Make sure there is something fun in it for her.
    Last edited by char GG; 08-04-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Sounds ery encouraging. Best wishes to you and your wife for a great time.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Great news! Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michelleddg View Post
    Her response was most unexpected. "Sounds like fun! I get to see the dress. Not on you, just see it. Oh, it's very sexy, you'll look nice in it. May I try it on?" She tried it on and, yes, wore it much better than me. Then: "We could go to Hamburger Mary's, that would be fun." Puzzled expression from me. "Yes, you would dress up."

WOW! Like I said, I'm still processing, but looks like tolerant DADT might be heading in a new direction. Stay tuned! Hugs, Michelle
    Always an adventure, isn't it michelle? Looking forward to the next post!

Michelle et al,

One of the most encouraging things about this site has been learning how common the DADT roller coaster is. You all give me comfort and hope.

Solange

interesting story, sound like you had fun.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

I agree with Char GG on this completely. Unless you plan on transitioning, and that is a step that needs lots of discussion with your with about a lot of things. Making it fun for both is key. I think we forget that a lot. You mentioned Vages and how she was up for it once and not the other. I always look at Vegas as an acquired taste. Taken a little at a time. Perhaps Vegas just wasn’t her thing. Myself and my wife do plays, shows, dinner, festivals and such. But not grocery shopping. I may do,the MIAS for grocery shopping or running errands. But not the ball gown! One other thing I always try to keep in mind. I try very hard to not make EVERY NIGHT OUT an opportunity to get dressed up. I try and split it 50/50 or 75/25 at the most. Remember. Sometimes she wants to just get lost in lust for her husband. It’s a partnership not a dictatorship. Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

I look forward to hearing how it goes. I hope you have some great news!

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Michelle, well that is a step in the right direction. Maybe she is just accepting this is part of you.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Good on you, michelle! And here I always thought that "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" as the time-worn advertising blurb puts it. Who knew?

But really, girlfriend...you need to fill in some blanks here as to how you got from Point A to Point E via Points C and D (no pun intended - LOL! ) with your wife. The rest of us here who are still deeply entombed in unyielding DADT situations desperately need to know the name of the magic elixir (shades of Love Potion #9?) that you fed your wife or, alternatively, who the accomplished hypnotist was whose services you used here and which enabled you to achieve this amazing breakthrough.

Consider it public service, and in the meantime, color me "Jealous"...

The old rules goes: "If you think you have it figured out, you are probably wrong!".
    Dont jump to conclusions based on a few data points.

I hope you will ask her to explain the why of her changing views over the last 30 years, and then tell us.
    We are all beautiful...!

Michelle,
    You should have a good time, just roll with the suggestions from your wife, don't try pushing by testing the waters too much.

In other words don't ask her opinion of your appearance too often let her suggest something and then act on it even if you don't like it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Interesting changes indeed. I don't know about you, but I am dying to know what brought about such marked change. Wow.

that is great news, I would not push it very fast though, she may change her mind

Michelle:
    Could it be possibly the over the top quality of going out with you to Hamberger Mary's that has your wife intrigued? You rented an amazing party dress for your adventure and maybe she would like to share the experience of an amazing dress and possibly some makeup way beyond what would be normal for her? My wife really got into a costume party she organized for her place of employment one time. Maybe your wife would like to blow off some steam going out as someone way out of character. As long as she's possibly dressed in a gorgeous dress she's willing to share the experience with you?
    Sounds like fun as long as she doesn't change her mind.
    Zoey

Silver Member
    Wonderfully inspiring story. It gives us all hope that DADT or unaccepting relationships can be turned around. Thanks for sharing.

Isn't it funny how variable relationships are around crossdressing? My own wife knows everything about mine, and has seen me in all kinds of outfits, and tells me she likes most of them, but refuses to be seen in public with me dressed. While you get a dinner out with yours! Maybe DADT is not where youre at anymore! Congratulations on how well your patience has paid off.

BTW, be careful around her trying on and borrowing your dresses. You could end up losing a few! LOL. But then again, you could parlay that into a shopping trip or two.

Platinum Member
    That’s pretty amazing, Michelle. It certainly sounds like progress. I hope the two of you give it a try, and both have a wonderful time!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow, Ladies! I posted this mostly to entertain, did not expect all of the perspectives, insights and encouragement, thanks so much! Hugs, Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Good on you, michelle! And here I always thought that "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" as the time-worn advertising blurb puts it. Who knew?

But really, girlfriend...you need to fill in some blanks here as to how you got from Point A to Point E via Points C and D (no pun intended - LOL! ) with your wife. The rest of us here who are still deeply entombed in unyielding DADT situations desperately need to know the name of the magic elixir (shades of Love Potion #9?) that you fed your wife or, alternatively, who the accomplished hypnotist was whose services you used here and which enabled you to achieve this amazing breakthrough.

Consider it public service, and in the meantime, color me "Jealous"...
    Leslie Girlfriend, I have long been saddened by your wife's intolerance, hoping my wife's startling offer serves as a magical mysterious catalyst for your to thaw her views. At least a little :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoeytgtx View Post
    Michelle:
    Could it be possibly the over the top quality of going out with you to Hamberger Mary's that has your wife intrigued? You rented an amazing party dress for your adventure and maybe she would like to share the experience of an amazing dress and possibly some makeup way beyond what would be normal for her? My wife really got into a costume party she organized for her place of employment one time. Maybe your wife would like to blow off some steam going out as someone way out of character. As long as she's possibly dressed in a gorgeous dress she's willing to share the experience with you?
    Sounds like fun as long as she doesn't change her mind.
    Zoey
    Wow, Zoey, this flat out never occurred to me! My mind set was we'd go all soccer mom blendy, but maybe she'd prefer to do a high end out in dress and heels (at a more appropriate venue than Hamburger Mary's, of course). Or maybe, just maybe, she'd really enjoy exploring her wild side in drag. She's girly, but not flashy. We've never done costume parties. She enjoys drag - has taken me to showings of Kinky Boots, La Cage, etc. Can you imagine how much fun doing up your wife in drag would be?

Michelle:
    I will never get my wife to ever share an evening out with Zoey. I took her once to an fun burlesque show in Dallas once. I was in guy mode for that one. She enjoyed the evening and she actually got dressed up and surprised me by wearing a very cute corset I bought her for a gift. So that's why I suggested possibly she might be into going out in a really hot outfit with you if that was typically out of character for her. Also, it might in her mind create an air of a disguise in case you ran across someone either of you knew.
    Good luck girl!!! Zoey