Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its really not fair

Aspiring Member
    Me, I love the opportunity to wear different thigs everyday, longer, knee length, shorter (not very often very short, but every now and then ). But one thing about it, compared with when I used to go in to the office everyday, (when I wore the same 'offfice uniform' day in, day out, smart shoes, dark trousers, shirt and tie (if I was meeting clients)) is that it is much harder work deciding what to wear. Yesterday it was a pink skirt and top, but I can't wear that today because I wore it yesterday, and anyway, today is a bit warmer and more humid, so I need to go for something a bit looser, but do I wan't smarter looser or slightly more dressed down looser? In boy mode I would have been dressed ages ago, I would have just thrown on my shorts and a T-shirt. Ok, as I've typed that I've settled on my loose navy flowing skirt, a top to show it off and a silver necklace. This outfit happens to fall directly in the middle of smarter and dressed down, but is definitely appropriate for office wear (that is 'home office' wear). So, yes, women have most of the advantages when it comes to clothes, but not all, but I know which way around in the debate I happen to fall, loose and flowing every time And I'm more than happy to take full advantage of women's good fortune when it comes to dressing.

I detest these types of threads. If you want things to change, then put yourself out there. If you're not then you are basically saying you want others to do the hard work for you. Do you think women got the vote by simply complaining to each other? Or that any other great societal shift happened by chance? So start drawing up your battle plans.

Banned Read only
    Angela ,
    It's not as easy as that , I was a self employed professional photographer for thirty years in a small town , everyone knew me , my clothes were like a uniform . I always wore a suit with collar and tie to cover my weddings ans always had a shirt and tie on in my studio for portrait sittings and meeting customers . I knew on commercial industrial jobs I may have to meet the MD/CEO first , first impressions mattered , I knew it would affecrt my income .

I'm so glad it's all changed and I can put myself out there , it's easier for me but others do have problems and not all of their own making .

Tracii,
    Of couse it's true , male flambouyant clothes give a totally different message to most people than colourful female clothes . It's funny how men can be called more effeminate by wearing way out clothes in male mode and yet it's not a problem when wearing female ones . Which way are you more likely to be picked up ?
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-07-2018 at 04:20 AM.

I complain about this to my wife. About the only option we have as men is do you what size checkers do you want and what color. I think guys would be more into shopping like women if they had more variety available.

I have a large assortment of kilt tops from a couple of kilt companies. People accept that look as unusual but me. They keep the sun off my arms (skin cancer concerns) and they look good. Strong masculine colors to make people happy I look male but still great, especially with the minishirt under my baggy, scrubs type of bottom male apparel.

It is not fair. Exactly right. Even more so in tropical climates. Cheers,

Luckily, nobody has complained about me wearing colorful women't shirts at work.
    Why should they? They fit me perfectly. It would really suck if I had a job where
    I had to wear 32S suits. I think there is exactly one online clothier that sells them for guys.

Interestingly enough, the older male customers don't seem to mind either. They are just happy
    to talk to someone with my experience and expertise.

It is an accurate stereotype that small guys dress poorly. They can't find clothes that fit!
    Wearing clothes that fit extremely well shatters that stereotype and promotes a good image.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 08-07-2018 at 06:39 AM.

I remember in the 70's, men's clothing came in colors. Got married in a nice green shirt and matching tie along a colored suit.
    I also bought pink shirts then, and women complimented me.
    I guess the style changes, but less variation for men, deplorable. We could have nice colors variety in clothing
    Hopefully the colors will come back .

Rayleen
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Banned Read only
    Becky I'm going to agree with you again in your thread # 25.

I agree! Skirts and dresses of all lengths, materials, weight, and color, so much to choose from. Yes, guys have choices too but I think there isn't as much leeway to express moods, or environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Angela ,
    It's not as easy as that , I was a self employed professional photographer for thirty years in a small town , everyone knew me , my clothes were like a uniform . I always wore a suit with collar and tie to cover my weddings ans always had a shirt and tie on in my studio for portrait sittings and meeting customers . I knew on commercial industrial jobs I may have to meet the MD/CEO first , first impressions mattered , I knew it would affecrt my income .
    And there's the rub. It wouldn't be easy and I never said it would. It's the complaining that irritates me. Most of the freedoms we enjoy today were won on the backs of others and nobody has seriously tackled this issue yet...so someone has to lead the charge.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thats my point too complaining never fixes anything.
    If you want change do something about it yourself.
    You want to wear more stylish /more colorful clothes then do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    The interesting thing is that about 9 comments above mention that men can have different colours or fabrics...
    Fabrics play a huge role in how clothes fit and drape. So, yes, it does matter. Women's fashion figured this out many decades ago. Men's fashion, thankfully, is recognising there's much more than just a 'collar and around 6 buttons'.

It's kind of funny.

I'm going to a wedding and as you know the women will all have different outfits, and mostly be dressed to kill in a beautiful dress!

So when I went with my wife to look a suits I saw row after row of about 1000 suits that basically all look the same and I let out a laugh.

At least you can dress it up with a tie.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I was amazed to find a men's shirt that is black with little white polka dots. I had never seen one before, and I had to have it. The location didn't have one my size, but I found one about ten miles away. The fabric looks like the female version. Of course it still has the men's cut, but at least it was a chance to move my male wardrobe a little toward the feminine direction.

I also only buy men's shirts that have some feminine characteristics. I like Hawaiian shirts because they often are floral. I also buy more feminine colors such as purple or lavender.

I know it isn't the same as strictly female styles, but I feel that the feminine influence makes these worthwhile purchases for when I am drab. That's my way of moving the fashion needle a little bit.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

In the movie The Great Gatsby, (Robert Redford and Mia Farrow - 1974 version), Robert Redford wore a pink suit! It was awesome. I remember the women loving that look, especially on him.
    Last edited by char GG; 08-07-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaYVR View Post
    I detest these types of threads. If you want things to change, then put yourself out there. If you're not then you are basically saying you want others to do the hard work for you. Do you think women got the vote by simply complaining to each other? Or that any other great societal shift happened by chance? So start drawing up your battle plans.
    Angela, a few points - Firstly its easy to say but life gets in the way, some of us have family and/or work responsibilities. Secondly my OP was a comment on society and how its evolved, I don't believe it is going to change nor am I advocating that it does change necessarily, it is what it is. Just because a person does not like soemthing or think its fair, does not mean they have to go out there and change the world, nor expect others to do it.

Seeing the vast range of woman's clothing options makes me envious, but I am not advocating changes to the way of the world. I get my opportunity to explore Woman's fashions and greatly enjoy that when I can.

@Char I remember that pink suit it was awesome.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Becky, I'm not sure why you keep bringing this 'unfair' stuff up. Life is unfair. Sure women get to wear more varied things than men do in our culture. Men get to walk around without being sexually accosted at 2 in the morning. You're preaching to the choir here. Perhaps go to a women's fashion forum and discuss how unfair that is with the women there?
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

hello Becky,
    you are correct - it is not fair.
    I wonder though if that is why we dress - for the colours and the fabrics?
    Many of us started dressing out of curiosity before we were teenagers - perhaps because boys and mens clothes are so boring?
    luv J

Lexi, this forum is designed to discuss things, if your not interested in the topic why read the thread?
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Aspiring Member
    As has been said, life isn't fair. Lack of clothing freedom is one of the very few unfairnesses on men. Women get sexually approached if they step outside, often get paid less, their ideas are taken less seriously, childless women get questioned about why, the list goes on. Some of the bad behaviour against women is FROM women.

It doesn't even end there. There are certain male clothes you can't really wear in most western countries without getting similar reactions to those you would get with a skirt. Try wearing a Stetson for instance. Or a ribbon tie. Or an Elvis catsuit. Or even (outside Scotland) a kilt. Actually I speak from experience that you get reactions in a kilt even in Scotland. Extend that to male clothes from Africa or the middle or far east and it becomes even more difficult.

It isn't true that you have to put yourself out there in a skirt or dress to change things. I have done this but not in a way that affects my life so I can't claim to have done much leading by example where people know who I am. Far from home I often go out in a skirt and occasionally (OK once) in a dress as a man. What I have done is make these points to journalists and one has actually quoted from my letter in The Times. Another Times journalist made similar points in a recent article. We need attitudes to change and the press is a good way to achieve this. Even David Beckham didn't get men or boys into sarongs so it is an uphill struggle. But I detect definite movement in attitudes. As an example in my local branch of Debenhams when I shop for dresses as a man I have always been directed to the Personal Shopper suite (which is great if it is not already in use) but the last two times I have just been shown to a female changing room as though it was nothing out of the ordinary. You can also talk about it. I work in a very open-minded environment and I can openly criticise the unfairness without being suspected of secretly wanting to wear dresses to work. Yes, it is also so open-minded I COULD wear dresses to work, but I know that this is how I would be remembered and I prefer to be remembered for the calibre of my work (where I have been very successful). To put it bluntly, there are more important issues in many of our lives than getting the freedom to wear a skirt to work. And there are more serious injustices in society than restrictions on male fashion. And all in all we have it better than women.

Banned Read only
    Becky you're being hit with the same negativity I have. I totally understand your post but am disappointed why some members do this. We are two of a kind, trying to be positive and bring up interesting subjects.

Thanks Deebra, I feel very lucky to be someone who can feel jealous of the wide range of colours, styles, shapes, materials and general diversity that women have.. and that I get to be like that sometimes....
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I agree on all points. I have felt this way all my life. I remember my First Holy Communion when I had to wear a dark blue suit, which I wore every Sunday, and all the girls got to wear beautiful white dresses with chiffon, tafetta, or satin full skirts with pretty flowers and stuff in their hair. I pretty much feel that way every time I go to a wedding as well.

Just wondering how hard is it for an aussie to become British if British you can at least wear a skirt , I mean kilt

Rhonda Rhonda Rhonda with no offence at all to my lovely British friends... Aussies would never become Brits and they wouldn't have us anyway
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec