Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking like a guy

Walking like a guy

I’ve noticed that I walk like a guy when I wear my sexy outfits. Anyone have any advice on walking like a lady?

I think you may need to sway your hips, walk foot in front of foot. Practice practice practice and you will do well.
    Crissy

Thank you Crissy!

Hozeguy, my wife has helped me with this. Just walk heel to to toe. It shortens your gate and makes your hips sway.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I will try that thanks!

There are lots of web sites with great advice and videos on how to walk like a lady. Try some of them.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I noticed in your profile pic the way you were standing in heels screams guy.
    You look like you are leaning forward and posing like how a male would pose.
    Don't get mad please because you were asking for help.
    Stand tall, shoulders back, head held high and walk heel toe heel toe in short steps.
    Don't try and accentuate any hip sway let it happen naturally when doing the heel toe thing.
    Trying to force it never works.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 08-08-2018 at 10:24 PM.

I went for a makeover a few weeks back, I wanted to make it as real and enjoyable as possible so I dressed in my hotel room and then wore guy clothes over the top, with a jacket and a hat. Whatever else I needed was in my small luggage bag. When I got close, I slipped off the guy clothes, put on my nails and a quick lipstick job.

Once I got to the location, it was time for me to be Jamie and not Jxxxx. I really think I pulled it off because I mentally switched from one to the other. It took a few minutes but when I walked out of my car I was Jamie, held my head up and shoulders back, took shorter but confident strides and never looked back. No one was there to stop or ridicule me, just going for a walk and being myself. Just be confident in yourself and you will be as good at it as you can be, physiology being the big limit for many of us.

I recall stopping into a local massage parlor when I was sixteen and asking the girls to teach me.........it worked.

All good advice. Great YouTube videos. Smaller steps, straight line heel to toe, swing arms (not too much) and hips. My wife helped and practice a lot in a mirror, take videos...it will happen.

This is worth a view, https://www.biomotionlab.ca/html5-bml-walker/ Use the sliders to alter the gender, build etc and it gives a good idea of how someone might walk.

EDIT: This is actually one of those things where one of the best solutions is simply to observe. Watch how GG's do it, learn from the masters.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 08-09-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

My BF and Style Guru Millisense's Avatar
    I agree with swing arms but not too much, a lot of videos I've seen of CDs walking they seem focused on the steps (or not toppling in their heels), and their arms are straight down, looks unnatural and reveals tension.

Wow, Helen, that bio link is cool!, looks like knees closer together and keep shoulders level (while still swinging arms) are two tricks for me. Fun!
    Last edited by Millisense; 08-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Hoze, try wearing 4"+ spike heels. They will force u to walk differently. Then, after u practice for awhile you'll find a comfortable pace and balance in them that works for u. Wa la! U r now walking more fem!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Hozeguy,
    I find turning your palms to the front and tucking your elbows makes most of the other movements come naturally , the hips swing more but don't overdo it , do a little GG watching to see how they walk .

Helen,
    Great graphic animation , I can see the difference with the rotated elbow but maybe many of us have the wrong hip placement to get real sway , also not sure I can get the knees together as I'm slightly bow legged ,( I had a bad time with that at school )
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.

You might try keeping your knees closer together than you would as a guy. Maybe wear a pair of pantyhose with the waistband pulled down to a few inches above your knees to work on your stride.

Banned Read only
    *I am breaking this up into multiple posts because of how very long this is reply is!*

This is a BIG pet peeve of mine, which is why I am making this my very first post.

This subject comes up pretty often and the responses are usually similar if not the exact same as other threads. Although well meaning, people are giving one-off tips without regards to context.
    If someone tries to incorporate advice like this she will end up looking like the stereotype of an effeminate gay male or a childish mockery of a woman.

How do I look like a Salsera when I dance Salsa? "Oh, I've seen women shake their hips a lot so you should try doing that!" or How can I look like a ballerina when dancing ballet?
    "Just point your toes!" Look mommy, I am a ballerina! Both of these examples are ridiculous and illustrate what I am talking about.

First, what do you want out of your walk? There is not just one way that women move their bodies. Bouncy, groovy, elegant? The walk that I like is the elegant, gliding, and fluid walk. Anything I write after
    this pertains to that. I do not try to emulate any other style so I cannot give any advice on those.

First, observe how the typical alpha, gym bro male walks instead of watching what women do. You will have more impact in changing your walk by getting rid of conditioned male habits rather than
    imitating what you perceive as female mannerisms. This is because (most likely) you were never taught female movement thoughout your life but you did pick up, subconsciously or not, male mannerisms
    and already know how to do them "right". So, you can probably figure out how to get rid of them on your own as well.

It is often said that men carry weight in their shoulders and women in their hips. Sort of. "Carry your weight" conjures up
    images about where you are tensing your muscles. It is more helpful to think about center of gravity and weight transfer. A genetic male's center of gravity is around the sternum and a genetic
    female's is around the center of the pelvis. Because of this, a guy will typically move his shoulders forward first when he walks because they frame the center of his gravity. The foot will then
    stop DOWN into the ground after the shoulder initiates. Think about how you move when you are on stilts or crutches. You initiate the walk from your armpit/shoulder because that is where you are
    supporting yourself. This staggered walking style exaggerates but helps to illustrate what you often see from men walking around. So, first thing, get rid of this!

Great, but now you can only stand still because you don't know how to walk So, next part...
    As I mentioned earlier, the genetic female's center of gravity is about the center of the pelvis. To make this point less abstract, let's use the belly button. If any of you have done pilates,
    dance, or anything related you have probably heard the term "core". That is actually a more accurate location of where I am talking about. Those muscles are the ones that you should use to
    initiate your walking movements, not your shoulders! Use your core to bring your knee straight forward to take the step. If you do nothing but this, then you have already made your walk more
    gender neutral. To make your walk more girly people give the advice about swaying your hips more exaggerated. Stop!! This advice is horrible! Stop, stop, stop!!

First, if you dissect the human anatomy you will see that women in general have a higher "Q Angle". A gross simplified definition is the angle of the hip bone to a straight line drawn vertially up
    through the knee. Just google this. Because of the wider pelvis of course it is more noticeable when moving from side to side. Also, the leg doesn't hang down as straight on a female as it does
    on a male. When the leg move forwards, the hip is kind of making room for the leg to pass through on the step. This is not completely accurate on what is going on but just writing through
    text has limitations. Regardless, stop thinking that women are just wiggling their hips back and forth!! The majority of what makes your hips jut out is the straightening and bending of your
    LEGS. A straight leg is where you will have most of the weight in the hip. The bent leg will have very little weight in the hip. As an exercise, keep your feet together and both legs straight.
    You should have your weight evenly distributed on both feet. Slowly start bending your right knee and start transfering your weight to the left leg. Notice what happens to the left hip. It starts
    jutting out. Repeat on the other side and you see it reversed. This is what cause the hips to move back and forth. You are not just throwing your hip to one side and then the other. This is why
    telling someone to swish/jiggle/sway or whatever their hips is awful advice.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

*Part 2*

Now take this concept to actual walking. Start bringing your right hip through to your knee forward. Remember to initiate the movement with your core, not your upper torso! Ignore the parts of the
    leg below the knee (calf, ankle, foot, etc.). They are just along for the ride. You are aiming your knee, not your foot. When you land your heel let it roll smoothly through the feet to the toes.
    Then you should start straightening your leg because you should have landed on a slightly bent let. As you are straightening this leg you will feel the weight shift and the hip will start jutting
    out on this side. Don't forcefully push your hip out. The hip should be pushed to side at it maximum when the opposite foot makes first contact to the ground.

I also hate it when people say to walk both feet on one line. Women do not actually walk like that on the street either. Your feet should be walking on two tracks but right beside each other. When
    you try walking on one line you end up crossing your center line each time and give an exaggerated cartoonish catwalk strut. So stop! Instead, think of trying to brush your thighs past each other
    on each step, minimizing the space between your legs. For an illustration, look at a pair of scissors.

This brings us to the length of your gait. People need to stop telling others to have an artificially short stride. Tall women (e.g. models) have a naturally longer stride and if they try to
    shorten their stride to look dainty they will look idiotic. So will you. I will talk about posture more in a minute but stand straight (NOT arched, NOT chest pushed out). As you move your leg
    forward you let (not force) your hip on the other side gradually move out to the side. You will evetually feel at a certain point there is a lot of tension and to move further you will start feeling
    it in your lower back. To maintain the gliding effect when walking, stop your forward stride when you start feeling it go into your back. That's the length of your stride. Otherwise you might
    starting bending backwards and you will lose the ability to keep your line level (which is what causes look of gliding). Also, ignore advice that tells you too walk very lightly like you are
    walking on egg shells. Uggh! No one walks like this unless they are a burglar in some cartoon. The lightness comes from gradually and smoothly transferring yur weight and rolling your foot instead
    of stomping down on every step.

Back to posture. DO NOT pull your shoulders back and stick your chest out!!! Why do people (both GG and everyone else) tell people this! This is dancer posture and is what I do when I am doing
    a dance performance with my team. You know who else does this? Body builders. Superman. You get the point. What you should do is pull your shoulders DOWN, not back. Your chest should neither be
    forward or back. Just neutral. Your palms should NOT be facing straight forward. Who walks around like this? Unless you are skipping in a green meadow with a picnic basket don't do this. Observe
    women on the street. Their hands hang naturally down their sides. The palms might be SLIGHTLY opened outward but not to the degree some have mentioned. Opening the palms outward does help keep the
    elbows in but don't exaggerate it.

Your overall energy should be relaxed but not slouchy. In other words, don't tense up anything. When you are walking you do not actually need a lot of energy to bring
    your leg forward. After you give the impulse to move let your body flow naturally. Let (again not force) the hips move where they want to go and settle down your weight smoothly. If you tense up
    you will end up looking robotic and will do stuttering movements.

Above all, experiment on yourself and see what you can do so it flows naturally. Completely ignore anything I have said if it doesn't fit with your body. The goal is to look "authentic" I guess
    but who knows what that really means! My hobby is dance and dance classes have helped me tremendously. In particular, Latin dances such as Salsa and Bachata will help you understand Cuban motion
    and how the hips move. Even if you just do the leader's part (typically male) because boths part of the couple will learn it. Well, actually there are a bunch of crappy teachers and most will
    not cover Cuban motion indepth if at all. Argentine Tango will help you develop a fluid walk, again for both leaders and followers. You will definitely not walk exactly how you dance but those
    classes will at least help you understand feminine movement better.

If you skipped everything I have written I leave you with this. All I really care about is that we stop giving bad one-off tips and realize that a beautiful walk (feminine or not) is an entire
    movement, not just a buch of ridiculous moves strung together. Hopefully the image of a crossdresser will be admired more in the future (realizing all the work put in) and not just fodder for
    parody and ridicule. Put in the work ladies!!!

I was going to reply but I think it is all explained in the previous post, so, why repeat it?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Kayla,
    One question as your profile doesn't tell us very much is are you in the closet or totally out ?

While I'm not going to contradict someone who is a professional dancer or teacher , I feel your wording is a little too critical to both the CDers here and maybe to many GGs out in society .

Most of these questions really are about getting some basic movements right we aren't waltzing or whatever down the High Street and neither are the GGs we meet . Many, many people need lessons in deporment both male and female but in a real World that just doesn't happen . Age , fitness, height and weight are all factors that dictate our movement . Some men carry themsleves well and some women carry themselves badly so who do we really use as a role model .

The little corrections which you harshly put down from some members are all that's needed to integrate in the real World , none of us are perfect , we won't get perfection in oursleves and we won't see it in a high percentage of others .

It's like the the Utpopia of perfect makeup, perfect hair and beautiful clothes , we stand out like a sore thumb if we go about our normal daily jobs looking like that .

a couple weeks ago, while driving in a 5MPH speed zone, so I had plenty of time to look, I came up behind a pedestrian - dressed feminine, but walked V-E-R-Y masculine.

I'm thinking OMG! one of us in the wild!

Then I pulled past our walker - and it's a GG!!!

I had to grin and shake my head. So much for assumptions.

Banned Read only
    Teresa,

I am out but that is not germane to this post. You are missing my point completely. I am not saying we should strive for perfection because of course that will never be achieved. What I am pointing out is that people need to quit looking for a quick fix to have a "feminine walk". The subject is about walking. If the OP asked about posing for a picture then that is something totally different. Walking is movement, not standing still. Exaggerating just one thing here or there will have the opposite effect of what most people here want. In other words, you will stand out even MORE because you are doing some caricature of what guys think look feminine. The details in the post are written to help others understand actual movement and why things appear to be more graceful, fluid, etc. You can't just fake something and have it look right at all. You don't seem to understand my point I made about ballerinas. Someone who has taken just one month of class is going to look more "ballet-like" then someone who just points their toes because that's what they see on TV. But neither one is going to be "perfect" that you have alluded to.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion I was talking about "waltzing" down the street?! Having a very basic normal female walk was the ENTIRE point of my post. If you reread it pointed out exactly the things that make you look like you trying too hard and end up looking like you are trying to emulate a runway model. I explained the basics of why guys walk the way they do and why women walk the way they do. Yes, of course there are exceptions. Moving from your core instead of pushing from your sternum is not dictated by age, fitness, height, or weight. Stomping down your feet instead of rolling through them is not dictated by age, fitness, height, or weight. Doing things like turning your palms all the way forward, taking ridiculously small steps, wildly swinging your hips, etc is NOT getting the basic movements right. Getting the basic movement down is doing the actual walking. In other words how you should move your legs and land on your feet.

How are you going to explain to someone who has never a hit a baseball with a bat. Are you going to tell them to just choke up on the bat because it looks droopy when you hold the bat? Or instead, are you going to talk about planting your feet, hip rotation, level swing, etc.? Both that and walking are movements. Why do you think a quick fix is going to work for one but not the other? If you don't practice something of course it will never turn out right.

Comparing what I am saying with trying to achieve perfection is completely off the mark. If you don't get what I am trying to convey that's fine. Everyone really needs to have the freedom to express themselves in anyway they see fit. However, if someone asks a question on how to achieve something and an actual thought out, holistic answer is perceived as trying to obtain perfection? That's absurd.

Guys tend to tighten up, keep it a little loose. Watch your posture, stand up straight like a princess, and take shorter steps. Lots of videos on youtube, but be careful, and don't go overboard. Oh, let us know how going down stairs goes, I have the hardest time with that Post back after you have some practice, and let us know how it's going. Have fun!

Banned Read only
    Katyla,
    Maybe you didn't get my point either , you have two threads and released very few details about yourself , I don't doubt your abilities but your wording was slightly comptemptuous of some member here .

I was a professional photographer for thirty years so I do know something about deportment and posing people , I try and guide members here if they ask about taking better pictures but I don't treat them with comtempt .

Maybe if you tell us more about yourself we can get to know the person .

It's not about a quick fix I do appreciate it takes time it's a little like playing golf there are 101 things we can do wrong but to learn to correct one will improve our game . I know if my walk was perfect I still wouldn't pass , I have arthritis in my toe joints and probaly shouldn't be wearing heels anyway, besides there are too many other small tell tales, it's impossible to correct them all. Most of us put ourselves down as TG and that's how I accept going out in the World now , it probably wouldn't make that much difference personally if I had transitioned it doesn't totally eradicate what was there before .
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-10-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Platinum Member
    This is getting really complicated. I think I'm going to get out my deceased father-in-law's wheel chair from the shed and avoid all the nuances necessary to avoid being made out as a 'guy in a dress.' Maybe there's a male and a female manner to self propel one's self. Just kidding. Maybe.

I've watch the "How to" videos on YouTube and elsewhere. I've watch some very nicely attired cross dressers out in the wild on YouTune. Although, I know the person is a male in female attire, I would still find fault with the presentation. Walking to adjust for the moment is learned behavior, consciously or subconsciously. I've seen young girls who are new to high heels just stumble all over the place. Seeing them run in heels is a total disaster waiting to happen. Next stop is the orthopedic surgeon!

My recommendation is to go to venue where there are many women. Sit down and girl watch. Look for women who a close to your body type. A woman with really heavy thighs is not going to walk like a teenage girl suffering from an eating disorder. Watch what is being done. Walking with a slow or fast gait. Standing and gazing at a window. How does she carry a bag on her shoulder.

I think there are anatomical differences between men and women that make walking different, and, within each sex there are subsets. If you are out to just have a pleasant day maybe the selection of attire is critical. Wearing a lose fitting dress or a knee length light coat is a way to mask your perceived deficiencies in the female gait.

Banned Read only
    Teresa,

Why are you so hung up on not knowing anything about me? The OP asked a question, I answered it. I didn't ask the OP where they grew up, who they hung out with, what their life aspirations were. I didn't ask because it has absolutely nothing to do with the question. If people want to invalidate my answer because they know nothing about me than more power to them. It doesn't affect me one way or the other.

You have in your mind I am attacking people individually. I am attacking the actual advice because I find it incorrect. I gave the reasons why I find it incorrect and did not just post words to insult someone. I am not here to participate in some echo chamber where I praise advice I find misinformed. The same advice keeps getting regurgitated because that's what people always tell them. Hopefully people will start to think about the subject of this thread more thoroughly and actually practice instead of looking for "tips". Doing a tweak here or there will not improve your walk if you don't understand the basic movement. I am sure that another thread in a few months/weeks will pop up again about walking more feminine And I am sure the exact same advice will be given and people will try to parrot that behavior once again thinking they are now walking like a woman. In fact, there will probably be more of the same in the rest of this thread because people will not bother reading what I wrote or care what I have said. That's fine but at least I tried.

I am not going to banter back and forth anymore with because you feel like you have to know me to understand what I have written. I don't understand that logic and won't bother derailing this thread any further because you feel like individuals need defended.

Banned Read only
    Kayla,
    No not hung up , obviously you wish to remain as you are and not wish to get to know fellow members , Ok that's fine , I choose to use the forum in a different way .