Thread: Do you tend to use the word transgendered and why/why not?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Do you tend to use the word transgendered and why/why not?

It is common to see the word transgendered used on this forum. Do you tend to add the “ed” to transgender when describing yourself or others? Why or why not?

*please share just your reasons to the why or why not part of the questions, am not interested in the assumptions of why or why not other people tend to use it*
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 08-09-2018 at 01:44 AM.

I tend to use it reservedly as I do live eighty percent of the time as a woman and I did have HRT many years ago.

I should never have stopped.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    I do not add the "ed". It is unecessary, often just used wrongly and often used in an offensive way ("oh he is one of those transgendered people"). Drop the "ed" everyone.

ed on the end is incorrect in my view since transgender is an adjective so I don't use that word. "I am transgender" or I'm a transgender person is they way I would say it. Just think of how you would use (and not use) other adjectives.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

If I were to describe myself, no I would not say I was transgender or transgendered. I have no desire to be a woman even though I like to dress as one from time to time. As such, I identify more with the terms “crossdresser” or even “transvestite”. However, I understand that there are many on this forum who identify with a strong feminine side and transgender would certainly be appropriate.

"transgendered" suggests having been though a "transgendering" process. It's not a word I use.

With "English major" in my bio, I have to agree that the addition of "ed" (transgendered) or "ing" (dialoging) drives me crazy. Those thing have, nevertheless, become a part of the common lexicon. So if you want to call me transgendered, I won't complain about the butchery of the language. We have much bigger problems.

IMO, the “ed” implies past tense.

As I wrote in the other thread, I wouldn’t use either term, and I rarely bother with that level of detail in casual conversations.

Michelle

I use the "ed" because it sounds like a more complete word and it rolls off the tongue, plain and simple.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey New View Post
    If I were to describe myself, no I would not say I was transgender or transgendered. I have no desire to be a woman even though I like to dress as one from time to time. As such, I identify more with the terms “crossdresser” or even “transvestite”. However, I understand that there are many on this forum who identify with a strong feminine side and transgender would certainly be appropriate.
    What Lacey said
    Jill

No -ed for me! I don’t use it for similar reasons already mentioned. Also, I feel it’s similar to the use of the word gay. No one says that gay people aren’t gayed

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biancabellelover View Post
    IMO, the “ed” implies past tense.

As I wrote in the other thread, I wouldn’t use either term, and I rarely bother with that level of detail in casual conversations.

Michelle
    I tend to agree with this. The "ed" seems like something happened. I was male yesterday, but magically overnight I was transgendered, and today I am female! It also implies the action is finished. But I will also say that it's a bit nit-picky, and I really don't get my panties in a bunch about it.

I use transgendered. The term rolls of the tongue better for me. I also pronounce the hidden r in water and wash so perhaps I'm not the best authority on the matter.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    IDo you tend to add the “ed” to transgender when describing yourself or others?
    Only when speaking in the past tense.

I think using the "ed" is just a common grammar mistake, like "enter your PIN number".
    Last edited by Robertacd; 08-09-2018 at 08:41 AM.

I agree with Aunt Kelly 100%, my wife being an English major fusses at me all the time for talking "Texan" as she calls it. I just call myself a CD. I know tranvestite is also used but I don't care for that derogertory term so CD is my thing. My wife thinks a transvetite is a disease but just being a CD is not. Don't fuss at me here on terminology but dressing is my hobby for relaxation, it's the same as fishing, hunting, pictures of wildlife, guitar picking, and taking a nap gives me. Relaxation and enjoyment even comforts me. I'm just a CD and use that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelish View Post
    "transgendered" suggests having been though a "transgendering" process. It's not a word I use.
    This. The -ed makes it a passive verb, or implying something done to you.

I use transgender. Transgendered is a malformation, in my opinion, like irregardless. But I'm a word nerd from 'way back.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Read only
    Transgender. It makes more sense to me.

No "ed". I identify as a CD but have used transgender in public.

Transgender is the only proper use of the word. This is not a matter of preference or opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I use transgender. Transgendered is a malformation, in my opinion, like irregardless. But I'm a word nerd from 'way back.
    Oh, thanks a bunch, Pat. Now I'm going to be cranky all day tomorrow, just at the mention of that... well, "word" is to polite for it.

Talk about picking flyshit out of pepper! Come on people.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Too long to type! Trans or TS works just fine here!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Chantal,
    I had to think about this but more often than not I tell them I'm transgender , most people won't pick up on adding the " ed " so it's possibly more of a problem to our community then to the general public .