Thread: are you camp?

are you camp?

hello all,
    I sometimes notice that I am a little more effeminate and risque when wearing men's clothes than when I am when I am dressed.
    I wonder why that is?
    Does the same thing happen to you?
    luv J

Can’t say I’ve ever experienced this, and I’m not entirely sure what this has to do with camp...

Banned Read only
    I am not sure what Jacques even means by "camp".

I have heard "campy" used to describe an amateurish movie production. Is this what you mean? Like "hamming it up"?
    Last edited by Robertacd; 08-10-2018 at 05:15 PM.

hello Roberta,
    may be the word camp does not have the same meaning in American English. It is hamming it up in an effeminate way.
    according to that most reliable source of information (Wikipedia) "In 1909, the Oxford English Dictionary gave the first print citation of camp as. ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour."
    luv J

I tried to look it up. To paraphrase Wikipedia, somthing is camp (aesthetic style) when it is appealing because of its bad taste or ironic value.

To answer the question in the body, I can't say as I have ever felt more effeminate wearing a suit and tie than when wearing a dress.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    No, not at all. Just a normal guy in drab, maybe with a little more jewellery than average but that's it.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Not in either mode.

Michelle

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Don't worry jacques, as an English person I know exactly what you mean by camp. Traceys' wikipeadia quote just goes to show that you should not believe anything you read on the internet.

I am visually effeminate in my actions and mannerisms regardless of clothing choice but I would not say that people react to that as they would the 'camp' manner of an obviously gay man. Sometimes you see camp men and instinctively know they are gay but I display my effeminate posture and mannerisms in a way that says 'gender different' rather than 'gay'. Or at least that is what people tell me.
    Last edited by DaisyLawrence; 08-11-2018 at 07:35 AM.

I'm sure I am not camp in the accepted English way. I am aware that some people detect my female side but not because of any OTT actions .

Never had the problem, only when younger and playing around with others and making fun of the scene.

I keep the both sides of me separate at all times.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Jacques,

I'd have to say no. When in drab while not 100% alpha male I don't think I display any actions that would be more associated with my femme side.

I must admit that I also hope that while enfemme I don't appear camp either. I do hope that my mannerisms are those of an average GG and not overly exaggerated with is something often associated with camp behaviour.

Just trying to walk along life's tightrope.

Banned Read only
    Jacques,
    No it's one thing I'm not , I don't have a problem with it but it's just not me . I'm comfortable and relaxed and have some fun , in fact no one is really camp in any of my social groups . I'm sure it's a carryover from the impression the media gives , if you look back to some of the comedians most camped it up , Dick Emery, Stanley Baxter , Kenny Everitt , the Two Ronnies not so much . So far I haven't had any jibes about carrying a handbag which is the camp stereotype .

Am I more effeminate ? My answer to that is I play down the male traits but I don't overdo the effeminate angle . When you're out and about dressed I find you can't put on a false act both in action and voice , I had to check out a new hob unit for and a vacuum cleaner in Curry's, in those circumstances I just had to be me . Trying out a new Hoover in a retail shop was something I didn't expect to do , the sales guy set it all up for me so I couldn't refuse , ( no I didn't do the " Shake and Vac " wriggle !" )
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-11-2018 at 04:20 AM.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Funny that you mention this.

Just the other day at work, I had found myself in a situation, working as part of a 2-person team alongside a GG who I get along with pretty well & share a good connection. I don't even recall what exactly had precipitated it, whether it was something that was said on her end, or something that had happened. Well, before I know it, in response I throw out what could be considered a "campy" little performance.

We both had a good genuine laugh over it... But shortly afterwards she also sorta gave the impression that part of her was probably thinking like, "Yeah, he almost did that a little *too* well! "

It's fine. She knows I can be a goofball, and we share our own unique closeness with one another. Honestly, if I still did the whole en-femme thing, and there was an opportunity? I could totally see myself hanging out with her like that. She's just one of those GG's, ya know?

But anyway, sometimes I'm able to bring that campiness out to play. Really depends on all kinds of variables... Who I'm with, who else might be around, what kind of mood I'm in, what the general vibe is like at that time. That sorta stuff.

And it's not even something I really think about beforehand. I just do it naturally & out-of-the-blue. I guess it also has to do with how comfortable I am with the person.

Finally, part of it is me just goofing around. But it also is somewhat real, that I can have a knack for it sometimes. It's like, "Uh, where did *that* come from?? LOL" I dunno, it just comes to me in the moment, so I let it out?

Anyway, nothing wrong with having a little fun in life!

Aspiring Member
    There is a difference between camp and feminine. For UK people here, the campest people I can think of were Frankie Howerd and the salesman (was he called Mr Humphries?) in that dreadful 'comedy' Are You Being Served? High voice, soaring vowels and exaggerated gestures - all indicative (and presumably meant to be) of homosexuality. Before it was legalised gay men even had their own language called Poloni, and a character on a radio comedy called Round the Horn brought the language to a wider audience.

Am I camp? Absolutely not. I don't think of it as something associated with crossdressers - more drag queen territory. Now that I think of it there was a lot of camp behaviour in the only episode of RuPaul's Drag Show I ever watched.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyLawrence View Post
    you should not believe anything you read on the internet.
    Lol, good one. Especially the comment above! Well played DaisyLawrence. Well played.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by jacques View Post
    hello Roberta,
    may be the word camp does not have the same meaning in American English. It is hamming it up in an effeminate way.
    according to that most reliable source of information (Wikipedia) "In 1909, the Oxford English Dictionary gave the first print citation of camp as. ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical; effeminate or homosexual; pertaining to, characteristic of, homosexuals. So as a noun, 'camp' behaviour, mannerisms, et cetera. (cf. quot. 1909); a man exhibiting such behaviour."
    luv J
    Definition of campy
    campier; campiest
    : in the style of camp : absurdly exaggerated, artificial, or affected in a usually humorous way
    campy horror movies

Also an interesting read on camp and campy

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Wiki must have some homophobic people working for them.

Waaaay over the top, here. I'm a flaming drag queen trapped in a straight dudes body.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I think Stevie nailed it! This sounds more like a description of a drag queen than any of the countless T's I've met!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Watch old British "comedy" series Are you Being Served and you'll know instantly what "Camp" means

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Silver Member
    Nope, camp is not my style. When I go out, I work hard to avoid changing my mannerisms. I want to project the notion that a man can carry off wearing a skirt and be taken seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by t-girlxsophie View Post
    Watch old British "comedy" series Are you Being Served and you'll know instantly what "Camp" means

Sophie
    Thank you Sophie and everyone that mentioned "Are you being served"! That is one of my favorite programs, of all time. My mother dearly loved that program and we would always watch it together. I can completely relate and understand what you mean now by the word "camp" as for me, I am probably a bit reserved no matter how I present. I just have always been happy standing in the back and observing for the most part.
    Love makes everyone equal.

No Alpha male here, but definitely not camp...
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Not me, I seldom go over the top, not something I really cared to be in drab or enfemme.

I have the same definition of camp as Tracy, "appealing because of its bad taste or ironic value". Maybe because we're from the same state? ha ha

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

I'm confured about how you "display my effeminate posture and mannerisms in a way that says 'gender different' rather than 'gay'", Daisy. Not doubting you of course, but it seems to me one hell of a feat to distinquish the two sets of mannerisms. I'm sure I couldn't do it even if I knew the differences. ha ha