Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doing up a zip

Platinum Member
    When using the string method Remember to hold the string out so the little zipper lock doesn't catch in the teeth.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I never realized this was a problem. I have had a few zippered dresses in my lifetime and usually use one hand to move the fabric in a good position for the other hand to zip. Could also be my thin long arms.

I use a variation on the method used by Kiwi (alternating hands). I also pull the fabric down or up to bring the zip pull within reach.

Daily arm streching and yoga have been my friends for zippers and bra hooks

I bought a thing on Amazon to hook on the zipper an pull it

As a former competitive swimmer, my arms are still flexible enough to zip and unzip without any external aids. I love the feel of the dress closing up as I zip!

I push the zip up as far as I can reach then I pull the back of the dress up at the back of my neck until I can reach the zip and using my other hand I pull the dress down from behind at waist level, undoing it is similar in reverse.
    Sophie Mosley

Just Google something like "zipper helper" or some variation see what you get. I did that on eBay where I shop a lot and you can see all types of cheap and workable solutions. Good luck.

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sissy_in_pink View Post
    I push the zip up as far as I can reach then I pull the back of the dress up at the back of my neck until I can reach the zip and using my other hand I pull the dress down from behind at waist level, undoing it is similar in reverse.
    This is also my way of zipping up a dress ..although I never considered something as simple as a coathanger on the occasions I have struggled

How about putting a safety pin through the whole in the zip toggle which is permanently attached to a suitable length of ribbon, the put the dress on, reach round to the back, take hold of the ribbon and pull up when the zipper is at the top simply take off the safety pin and keepand ribbon and keep it for next time, hey presto! all done
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    When I ordered my first long dress with a back zip this was a concern as well. I attached a satin ribbon through the zip hole and used that at the beginning. After a short while I learned that I was flexible enough to zip up and unzip without extra help. Zipping the zip up from below as far as I could, then gently pulling on the dress from above to raise it up a bit and zipping the remainder of the way, then re-settle the dress to its normal position. Unzippping was simply the steps in reverse.

A cheap or free promotional lanyard works as long as the zipper tab has a hole to clip it on. 1534616849153.jpg

Banned Read only
    Tina,
    You've just reminded me how stobborn wet suit zips can be when I went Scuba diving , my instructor was a youg blond German girl so it was great to be zipped up by her !

A long string and a paper clip works for me.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The problem I find with using string is it spins! My coat hanger one spins, too! Then, both of the problems below and others occur! (I have A LOT of older back zip dresses!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I have little difficulty doing up a zip.

But when they get jammed trying to undo them..........
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    When using the string method Remember to hold the string out so the little zipper lock doesn't catch in the teeth.
    I finally got tired of struggling with them and made a really good zipper puller out of a long, thin scrap of stainless steel in my junk pile. Riveted a wire hook on the end. Now, I can easily hold the zipper out and it can't twist when I zip up or down! (Took about 15 minutes to make!)
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Thank you for posting this. A string! So simple! Geez, I'm such a dork for not figuring that out. I had major zipper trouble the other day when making a video.

Also, not to be a downer, but why do people feel compelled to post replies that essentially say, "I don't have this problem"? I find that odd.
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

I did use the paperclip to zip up once but then really struggled to get the zip down, just like Dana's great picture...it was quite scary
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Aspiring Member
    I have this problem with one of my favourite dresses, and the tab of the zip is thin and has no hole in it to hook or tie anything to. I did eventually discover that with care, I can pull it on and off while zipped up because it has just enough stretch to the fabric.
    I try to find dresses without zips, or with zips up the side.

Made mine from a premade fishing leader line from Walmart. Small clip on the end attaches to the zipper pull. Leader was premade about 18 inches long and had a small lead weight already attached to the other end. Just feel behind yourself till you findthe small lead weight, bring it over your shoulder and pull the zipper up. Think it came in a three pack for about $1.50

Teresa has some good ideas.
    Also, if you have a necklace with a chain that hooks...just take it off and hook the chain into the zipper pull. Pull up and unhook the chain. A full necklace is about 18 inches long.

Silver Member
    Only had a problem that I can remember once. Well my land lady did zip me up on several occasion, and her boyfriend did a couple times when she was busy in the kitchen. He acted like my dad. Most of the times I could reach back and start the zipper going up to my bra band area then I would pull my dress up reach over my back and hold onto the zipper tab and pull the dress down as I zip it up. I reversed it to take the dress off.

The only time I had a problem was that when traveling I had my assigned room mate come back early while I was trying on my new suit. I jammed the zipper. Close call.

Sticking Zippers. First make sure you are not catching some of the material in the zipper. Another trick is rub some paraffin or a bar of soap (dry). Once a bit of material starts getting into the system, in the teeth or under the slide, you will need to 'Iron it out' to remove the 'pressed in curl' or if the snagging material is on the inside trim the 'salvage'. If you bung up the teeth then you need to have the zipper replaced.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.