Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doing up a zip

doing up a zip

Hi Girls

this may be a silly question but how do you girls pull up a zip I just cant reach them, i did once but then it took me ages to get it undone

If nobody is available to help, you can try attaching string or use a pair of pliers to reach a couple inches further. I have been fortunate enough to not find out if either of those ideas work.

Because I can't fit many zippered dresses, I just buy dresses that can stretch. ^^; I've also had wigs get tangled into hooks, buttons and zips before, so I can't say I'm enthused with dresses with those types of fasteners.

I now almost attach a string to the zipper pull and loop it and tie the loose ends together. After pulling the zipper to closed (normally 'up' I then tuck the string into the dress. When I am ready to disrobe, I pull the string out and use it to un zip the dress. When Zipping up, I grasp the bottom of the zipper with my free hand, this makes it easier to slide the zipper up. When unzipping I hold the upper end of the zipper. This way I am always bulling away from the end.
    I have tried the tread and paper clip but found the threat tended to break and the paper clip showed if I left it in place and sometimes polke my skin.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 08-17-2018 at 01:20 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Thread and an opened paper clip. Works for pulling it up, or down.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Don't wear 50s style dresses so its not a problem for me.

Hi i hook a coat hanger in zip eye then simply pull up .

My only experience with this issue is when wearing my LBD and my shoulder almost goes into spasm as I reach over to finish zipping up. I find pulling up the neck as if you were trying to take over a jumper/pullover helps give more access but one of these days I'm going to try the coathanger tip.
    My Flickr profile
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/142337725@N08/

Aspiring Member
    Hello Jeanette, I use a variation on the 'bit of string' method in that I use a piece of appropriately coloured ribbon. But having read the coat hanger idea, I'm going to give that a go. As for not wearing 50's style dresses with a zip, well, for me, that's a non-starter, although I am fortunate that, even though it has a zip, the dress in my avatar goes easily enough over my head, so I can get in and out of that simply enough. Also, I am lucky to have a wife who will do the honours when she's around.
    Last edited by Charlotte7; 08-17-2018 at 02:44 AM.

I have little difficulty doing up a zip.

But when they get jammed trying to undo them..........
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    If you want a fancier option to thread and safety pin there's a product called ZipHer. Works the same way though.
    https://www.primaproductions.com/

I personally bought two of them just in case they got discontinued or go out of business. It uses a metal chain and hook so it's durable. It actually looks nice and I'm really surprised that it is actually made in the USA instead of China.

I manage by myself - left hand up to middle of my back, right hand down.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    But when they get jammed trying to undo them..........
    Oh, yes, the stuck zip, a nightmare scenario, particularly when you can hear your mother's footsteps coming up the stairs and it's her dress you're wearing !!

Banned Read only
    Jeanettew,
    It can be a problem as others have said a thin cord can help but I've found puuling the zip up as far as possible with my left hand and then get hold of the top of the dress in my right and pull it up my back as far as it will go usually i can then catch hold of the zip with my left hand from the top . Obviously it doesn't work for all dresses , side zips should be easier but have to take care not to trap any loose skin under the arm . Stretch dresses are the answer but sometime it does feel great to be zipped up nice and snug in a bodycon dress !It also may help to put the forms in afterwards if it's possible just to provide some slack in the dress .

As Bev says getting stuck on the way down isn't good ! I was trying a black sequined dress in the changing area of a charity shop , I could hear another customer wanting to change but I was well and truly stuck in the dress but after some wriggling I finally got one arm clear , I was standing in my cami slip and bra when the curtain was pulled back ! I did ask at the sales desk what happens if someone does get stuck ? She replied with a broad grin, " We call the fire brigade !! " That did make a few other customers smile .

Thank you every one

I once got caught in a dress. I was able to get my shoulders free. Once free, I twisted the dress to have the zipper in the front, easy from there. I do have a pair of 11 inch needle nose pliers, it did not occur to me at the time.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

It's things like this that make me grateful for my accepting wife.

What I used to do is just take a regular wire hanger and pull it straight so the hook is on one end. Then hook it into the zipper pull tab and then step into the dress. Once on, the hanger is easy to grab and work up behind your back. Getting it off is usually just as easy once hooked back into the same spot and hanging down it's easily reached behind me.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Been here Charlotte

tranny stuck in dress.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte7 View Post
    Oh, yes, the stuck zip, a nightmare scenario, particularly when you can hear your mother's footsteps coming up the stairs and it's her dress you're wearing !!

I am with Leslie Mary, the string method works best for me too.

Paperclip with string works for me

you can order zipper pullers on line. there are a lot of styles such as this one.
    https://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy...IaAgjJEALw_wcB

Usually someone does it for me but if I know there won't be anyone available to do it, then I use a piece of string. I don't think I would like to use metal things like paper clips or pliers in case they damage the dress.
    I'm always a woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra_Dodds View Post
    I find pulling up the neck as if you were trying to take over a jumper/pullover helps give more access
    If there is no one to zip/unzip for me (most of the time) this is what I resort to also.
    I do have to be careful not to stretch out the fabric though.

Go fishing. I tie a piece of narrow ribbon to a fishing swivel hook The way the hooks are designed, they hold together and don't stretch out like a paper clip. then are also finer and stronger. Then I either remove it or tuck it inside the dress. You can make them different colors to coordinate with the dress, so it doesn't stand out if it happens to show a little.

I tend to wear shift dresses that aren't super tight or form fitting and generally have no problem with the zippers. I will start trying some more form fitting dresses soon. Just need to lose a few lbs.