Thread: One of Those Days

One of Those Days

No. I mean one of those days that you want share here...

Today was the monthly meeting of our local Tri-Ess chapter. One of our newest sisters has attended one meeting en femme, and joined the Houston Girls at our GNO last week. Those were here first two times out in public. She's very new to this, only started dressing a few months ago. You would never know by looking at her. First of all she's an avid cyclist with a physique that you'd expect (the skinny bitch ). Her taste in wardrobe is excellent and she's had Brookf89 do her face for the previous two outings. Today, however, Brook was unavailable, so she let me talk her into getting a "Custom Makeover" at Sephora.

The location I prefer to go to (a standalone store) was booked, so we picked one near the venue for our meeting. She was a bit nervous, because the store is inside a popular mall, so I agreed to walk her in. When we arrived, the mall was jammed. Saturday afternoon, back to school week, whatever it was, the place was teeming with people. I felt so bad for her, but was determined to set a good example and get her over this hump.

It was during the longer than anticipated walk from far out in the parking lot that things started to fall apart. Oh, not my friend, and not the plan; my shoe. I had chosen a pair of old favorites, with about a 1.5" "kitten" heel. They're easy to walk in and look great, but as I said... old. The right shoe started disintegrating half way through the mall. The seam holding the toe box to the sole just let go. By the time we were inside the store, the gap was about three inches around the whole front of the shoe. But... we're here for my friend and her first ever experience getting a makeover, en femme, in "public".

As expected, we were greeted warmly and professionally. While "A" got settled in with the artist, I grabbed a sales associate to help me with a foundation color match. I've recently started using Bare Minerals. The shade in the starter kit was a bit dark, and not the matte finish that I prefer. Against my better judgement, I ordered another shade online after looking at the chart on the Bare Minerals web site and choosing a couple shades lighter. Turns out I got lucky. The SA looked at me and said something akin to "Why do you want to change. That looks great." Well... OK, then. I just need some primer. Why she was showing me a new offering with some color correction in it, a young GG customer, maybe 20 years old, came up to us, turned to me and said, "Excuse me, but I just had to come over and tell you how incredible you are." Flabbergasted, I smiled and managed an awkward, "Thank you. That's very kind of you to say, but... why?" She explained that she was "involved" in the LGBT community and was just happy to see someone "representing" as I was. Taken aback again, I told her that I sincerely appreciated her effort to communicate that. Then she insisted on a big ol' Aunt Kelly hug. Compliments, props, and a hug... from a complete stranger... right there in the Sephora store in a busy Houston mall. It was almost weird, because it was so utterly unexpected. It was also intensely gratifying, not because some stranger said nice things about me and hugged me, but because someone felt the need to do that. I am, eight hours later, still a little high from a brush with a kind love and acceptance that my cynical old self wouldn't have thought existed in this town. Yeah, it was just one girl, and there's still plenty of haters out there, I'm sure, but this one... She gives hope. Let there be more like her every day.

So anyway, primer and the ubiquitous free samples in the bag, I wander back to where "A" is getting beautified. Fortunately there as an empty chair next to her station. For the next hour or so, it was just as I told her it would be, just ladies chatting with each other, staff and customers. She got a great "age and venue appropriate" look, and instructions on how to put it together herself. There were a few questions of me, how long did it take to learn to do my own makeup, etc. Mind you, I'm not a pro, but at least I have never used blue eye shadow. Gave the same advice I give here, quality products (especially foundation), quality tools, and practice. I did ask the artist if what I have found to be the case was commonly so, that sometimes technique and tools and product all have to work in harmony, and even with a good product and good tools, sometimes results were disappointing. She nodded emphatically. This actually gladdens me... highlighting perfection still eludes me, but that perfect confluence of medium and technique may still be attainable. LOL

Oh... my shoe. Aunt Kelly's purse is not your typical overloaded bag with something for every need, but this time the magic was working. I still had a small tube of nail glue in there and told my friend that I was going to try an emergency repair with it. She laughed, but allowed that it just might work. So I walked back out to my vehicle in my stocking feet, ruining a pair of pantyhose in the process, and set to work. It worked! My shoe held together through the dinner and meeting. Granted, not much walking around, but my field repair job held together. Obviously, those shoes have been "retired". A little sad to see them go. More than a little history on those soles. I should find some way to console myself. Maybe some new shoes...

Hugs,

Kelly
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 08-19-2018 at 03:07 PM.

Kelly,

The good, the bad, and the definitely not ugly. Just a lovely tale, and yes, reward yourself with new shoes.

Platinum Member
    What a wonderfully encouraging story! It truly warmed the heart of this old soul!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sounds like A is really enjoying herself. It was great to meet and talk with her at the GNO. I hope she continues to get out there.

SM

You received a big tankful of good karma for all that. You Houston gals really look out for each other. The nagging question: why didn’t you fix the shoe while in Sephora?

Kelly:
    I'm glad you got your hug. You let on that you would be picked out in a minute by the muggles.
    You forget, I've been out with you you are deserving of that hug you look great. Hope your newbie took this as a lesson.

Hugs, Zoey

Hi Aunt Kelly,
    This was a fun thread to read. Sounds like you had a great time.

Oh, thanks for not using blue eye shadow😄. Blue owl eyes are just not a good look, lol.

Great story love when a plan works
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Lovely story, Aunt Kelly, and so nice that you had the opportunity to act as a mentor and "big sister" ("drag mother"? ) to your new novice "out-and-about-er" friend. And that subsequent affirming interaction with the young, supportive GG at Sephora...priceless! Clearly, you paid it forward, and the universe rewarded you in kind.

As for that shoe incident, good to see that you were a "sole" survivor there as well. Perfect ending to a perfect day!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Great story Kelly, yes it is possible to find acceptance in the great state of Texas. By the way I don’t shop at Sephora often
    but I do love them

The avvy pic isn't me
    Thanx for the terrific read, a little bit of everything in that; wonderful stories of affirmation and acceptance are always winners!

I have to ask as well, instead of thrashing a pair of hose (not to mention wear and tear on the feet), why not try to fix the shoes in the store.

I bet those SAs would have gotten a kick out the quick fix; and I suppose finding the right replacement, in the right size, is hard to accomplish in a mall.

Cass

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    thanks for sharing such a great story. I think I'm lucky to not even be 40 yet, maybe in 10 years there will be even more acceptance.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Kelly,

The good, the bad, and the definitely not ugly. Just a lovely tale, and yes, reward yourself with new shoes.
    There's the response I was looking for. Thanks, Helen.

As to why I didn't fix the shoe in the store, keep in mind that I try to blend. I'm often able to pull that off, even in the most surprising of places, but a big old lady gluing her shoe back together in a cosmetics boutique seemed like it was bound to attract attention. The pantyhose was a small price to pay.

Thank you, Zoey. You like so sweetly.

Leslie,
    This sorority sister was, I believe, the fourth TG friend that I have helped to make their public debut. Their changing expression, as they realize that no one is going to call the tranny police, is it's own reward. Better still, when someone addresses them directly, like that young woman did me, and tells them how nice they look and how great it is that they're out... that's even more gratifying. That's an immediate reward, of course, and reason enough to do what I do, but I will always be aware that my friends and I "stand on the shoulders of giants". Were it not for courageous women like Phyllis Frye, crossdressing in public in Houston might still be a crime. Being transgender, especially for the young, is still punished mercilessly in places like Texas. We have far to go, but if my presence, and that of my sisters, can raise the consciousness of the public to the point where a complete stranger is compelled to stop someone like me and say how wonderful it is to see me out, we must be on the right track. Those are the reasons I offer my help to the community. That, and hugs. Hugs are pretty nice too.

What a great story Kelly! When I grow up I want to be just like you. Maybe we should call you Aunt MacGyver.
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 08-19-2018 at 09:47 PM.

I'm glad you didn't glue your foot into the shoe!

Great story, thanks for sharing. That hug from a stranger would have had me flying high for days.

- Diane

Aunt Kelly I normally keep a tube of E6000 in the car. One day I too had a shoe start to come apart. My tube of E6000 had dried up. I happen to have a can of Thick Gel PVC tubing in the car. The shoe is sill holding together. Since thenI have repaired 4 pairs of shoes. two for me and two for my GG friend Dark AnGGel.
    We all have our ways for doing on the spot repairs.
    Enjoyed the whole story.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Kelly,
    Thanks for sharing, it made a good read and you got your friend out and about as well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Great story Kelly, thanks for sharing and like all good stories you leave us with a happy ending with the promise of good things to come - new shoes yayyy
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec