Thread: Facial recognition on my iPhone X

Facial recognition on my iPhone X

I have an iPhone X with facial recognition enabled, it has not failed once in the 4 months I have had it. Yesterday I was dressed and fully made up and guess what, my iPhone did not recognise me. I tried about 10 times during the course of the day and not once did my phone unlock.

Interesting my phone confirmed my belief that I look very different when made up with long hair.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Platinum Member
    Sadly, my iPhone has recognized me 100 pct of the time...also confirming my belief that I’m quite recognizable either way.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Becky, facial recognition is mostly about nose size, distance between eyes, etc. It should work as those measurements don't change even with makeup.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

This is one case study of the iPhone X that I have NOT read in the tech news!!! I'd like to see how it works with me in guy versus girl mode, but I'm too darn afraid of that technology to try!!!
    Been around for a while, been away for a while. On the verge of coming back...Help me!

Weird that it didn't work on such a high tech, expensive phone. I tried a free, crappy application on an ancient tablet that converted my face from female to male and it nailed it. Something might be wrong with the phone.

Below is from the Apple Support pages:

The technology that enables Face ID is some of the most advanced hardware and software that we’ve ever created. The TrueDepth camera captures accurate face data by projecting and analyzing over 30,000 invisible dots to create a depth map of your face and also captures an infrared image of your face. A portion of the A11 Bionic chip's neural engine — protected within the Secure Enclave — transforms the depth map and infrared image into a mathematical representation and compares that representation to the enrolled facial data.

Face ID automatically adapts to changes in your appearance, such as wearing cosmetic makeup or growing facial hair. If there is a more significant change in your appearance, like shaving a full beard, Face ID confirms your identity by using your passcode before it updates your face data. Face ID is designed to work with hats, scarves, glasses, contact lenses, and many sunglasses. Furthermore, it's designed to work indoors, outdoors, and even in total darkness.

Well the tech specs are wrong in my case. It has worked in male mode with sunglasses and a cap, but would not work all day yesterday with my makeup and wig on... Jamie I know the theory but the reality was it did not work once in over 10 attempts.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    You answered your own question, it's the sunglasses, not the cap. The bio-metrics don't work properly with glasses on. That is why passport and drivers licences now require you to remove glasses before the picture is taken.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I think thirteen year old girls are more adept at identification, they spot me all the time. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sighhh people please take the time to read what is being written properly if your going to contribute positively to a thread.... let me set it out simply
    1. iPhone X works perfectly every time in male mode
    2. iPhone X works even when I have my male sunglasses on
    3. iPhone X did NOT work when i was enfemm - i tried about 10 times not once did it recognise me

My post was a comment on what actually happened not a question.... and for those people who seem a bit sceptical i have two independant witnesses who saw it not working
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Just don't get makeup in your fingerprint and all should be good!!!
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

10 doesn't have that anymore Sara i kept having to type in my code
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

It's because you are beautiful, happy, and at ease. That can change any face. Look at some who has just been relived from a worry or sorrow; it isn't them any more. I will keep reading to see, I am curious too.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Sighhh people please take the time to read what is being written properly if your going to contribute positively to a thread.... let me set it out simply
    1. iPhone X works perfectly every time in male mode
    2. iPhone X works even when I have my male sunglasses on
    3. iPhone X did NOT work when i was enfemm - i tried about 10 times not once did it recognise me

My post was a comment on what actually happened not a question.... and for those people who seem a bit sceptical i have two independant witnesses who saw it not working
    I wonder what Apple would say if you asked them?
    Crissy

Thanks Brenda perhaps my iPhone thought some happy woman has grabbed that grumpy guys phone I wont let her in.
    Crissy, i can assure you it wont be me asking Apple LOL
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Hi Becky,

I’ve had a similar experience. Having some fun with this, maybe the X is detecting our “enhanced” feminine aurae.

Vale