Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lumberjack Song !

Terry Gilliam, one of the Python team, has come out as being transgendered.

Also if you look back through many of their sketches you'll find them dressed as women, Hell's Grannies springs to mind.

Banned Read only
    Reply to all ,

Sorry I'm really disappointed with my replies so far , the song was really a red herring , I was really looking for volunteers to help me with my decorating ! I tried to do it in Photoshop on the computer and pressed the execute button looked round to see if my hall was finished , no it turns out technology still isn't that good !!

Seriously you all saw the funny side of my story thanks for that and some lovely replies .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FshU58nI0Ts
    I had the good fortune to meet Michael Palin in Auckland, NZ, some years ago. He was very good-humoured and interesting, his sense of fun was obvious.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Reply to all , Sorry I'm really disappointed with my replies so far , the song was really a red herring , I was really looking for volunteers to help me with my decorating !
    Ok, I'll help with your decorating if you'll help relaying all our carpets, well, all except the main bedroom as that was done a couple of years ago, but the rest need replacing

Hi!!!

@Helen: actually, I think that Gilliam was making fun of these identity politics thing. His quote is that he wanted to become “a black lesbian in transition.”, because that ticks many of the boxes for affirmative action, or whatever it is that replaced it. It was a tongue in cheek remark - he is a Python after all - that got taken out of context for the scandal of that minute, got the counter outrage, and got forgotten the next day.

@Kiwi Primrose: WOW!!! You got to meet Palin! I am super envious

Love love
    Val

Teresa, that song has many memories for me, Have you heard this one by weird A Yankovic?

http://youtu.be/PvvMdCTA_os

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    Maybe we could come to a deal natuarally dressing is optional !!

Primrose,
    How lucky you are , I hope this dosen't sound too presumptuous but I see some Plalin traits in my nature , I have an off the wall sense of humour , get on well with people and like travelling . I admit I don't like roughing it as much as he does but I would have loved to have been part of his team on his various travel adventures .

Colleen ,
    No I haven't but I will check it out now .
    Just checked it out , that one could really catch on !!
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-22-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Terry Gilliam, one of the Python team, has come out as being transgendered.
    I think it's typical Python humour. He has said he is "a black lesbian in transition"

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/07/0...ender-lesbian/
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

Jodi, that's precious. I intend to use it & if I get any residuals I'll be sure to cut you in for 10%-------------LOL---------

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Teresa, Gotta ask, what is the Lumberjack song?

Board-Certified Shaman LaSirenaBella's Avatar
    I just love that song, even to this day.
    Sirena Rivera
    "Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing." - Theodor S. Geisel

Banned Read only
    Janice ,
    If you look up Monty Pythons Flying Circus you're bound to find it . Micheal Palin sang it , I'm surprised you haven't heard others mention it but then some of us forget how old we have become , now where did I put my Olay wrinkle cream ?
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-22-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by biancabellelover View Post
    Love the Lumberjack song.

It would only be Americans who haven’t heard it, as Monty Python never really caught on in the U.S. mainstream. To those who haven’t, google “The lumberjack song”.

Michelle.
    I beg to differ. The Pytons have been a huge factor in the US since the late sixties....and continuing to this day. (See Spamalot!) We were all singing the Lumberjack Song long before many forum members had been born!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    I beg to differ. The Pythons have been a huge factor in the US since the late sixties....and continuing to this day. We were all singing the Lumberjack Song
    Agreed!
    Sunday nights on PBS had all the school kids repeating the show on Mondays

Valentina,

You may well be correct. What I can remember is Michael Palin taking about one of the team turning up often dressed as a female. It's possible that it was Graham Chapman as he did come out as gay, disclosing his homosexuality in public on British jazz musician George Melly's television show in 1972
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi Helen!!

I was more under the impression that crossdressing for comedy has deep roots in British culture. In my impression, the Pythons just followed that, as other shows from that era did, like The Benny Hill show - that I also saw with subtitles, by the way. All of the Pythons dressed like women in their sketches.... and you are right that Chapman came out as gay later... he struggled with that, and drank heavily. But I think it is unrelated to the dressing.

Love love
    Val

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Valentina,

You may well be correct. What I can remember is Michael Palin taking about one of the team turning up often dressed as a female. It's possible that it was Graham Chapman as he did come out as gay, disclosing his homosexuality in public on British jazz musician George Melly's television show in 1972

Banned Read only
    Valentina,
    Monty Pythons was of that time , anti establishment , off the wall ! They pushed the limits in all directions , maybe it wouldn't have happened today everyone has to be so politically correct . The Python team just lampooned everyone , who can say if any of them were genuinely into CDing ?

To come out as as anything then was contentious , be it gay or TG , so Graham Chapman knew it was difficult but because the law hadn't long been changed .

One of my fave sketches is the Travel Agent

I used to drive people insane by reciting word of word the entire thing.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    The Cleese/Palin argument sketch could have gone on for days . Then there were the crazy animations , I often fooled around with pictures trying to recreate some of them .

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Teresa quote, "Monty Pythons was of that time , anti establishment , off the wall ! They pushed the limits in all directions".

Maybe us CD'ers have a lot to be thankful for from the likes of the Pythons and other comedians who were breaking the ice for us to follow. They took a cultural taboo and relaxed it in our psyche. Comedy isn't necessarily about laughing, it also should make us think about how we view life, society, as well as how we all have quirks and things we can identify in ourselves and others.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

The drawings and pencilled sketches were inspired by the Coles, Funny Picture Book.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Helen,
    The Cleese/Palin argument sketch could have gone on for days.

No it couldn't

Aspiring Member
    "Japanese Sage Derby?"
    "No"
    Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?
    "Not today sir"
    Cheddar?
    "Well I'm afraid that there's not much call for it around these parts."
    "Not much call for it!!! It's the single most popular cheese in the World!!"
    "Not around here sir!"
    "And what is the most popular cheese around here?"
    "Illchester sir"
    "Is it"
    "Oh, yes, staggeringly popular in this manor squire"
    "Have you got any he asked, expecting the answer no"

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm sorry! But, u must be leaving something out, Teresa, et al!

I'm quite familiar with Monty Python. Altho I didn't watch them every week here in the USA. But, I watched many and went to their movies and loved them! And, I have my own favorite routines and some songs that stand out. But, the Lumberjack isn't among them!

So, what makes that one song so outstanding in the UK? There MUST be a story explaining that?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I remember Cleese & Palin arguing over a Norwegian Blue
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Banned Read only
    Shelly,
    I was wondering if any pet shops from that period used the sketch as an ad feature saying , " All our cage birds are real , none of them are nailed to their perches !"

Can someone please find a link to the song for Sherry , she could be missing out on a new style of outfit !