Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drag Shows

Drag Shows

Have you ever been to a drag show or female impersonator performance? If so, what was your experience?

A local gay bar is hosting a drag show tomorrow night. I've never been to one and I've never been to that particular bar. I'll be home alone until Sunday and I really want to go, but wonder how I'd be received in MIAD mode. Also, I can't find anyone to go with me. Oh well, there will be other opportunities.
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

I've been to many. To see them in person is an experience. They'll be in shapes and sizes. I go in drab, but many who come to watch the show are in drag or dressed. Depending on the venue they'll be some beautiful girls milling about (I've gotten makeup tips).

My only qualm is they start late and tend to drag on with inbetween act filler. Usually the MC telling jokes and what not.

Far as the MIAD mode I'm not so sure.

I’ve been to quite few in both boy and girl mode. It seems like there are two types. One caters to to ‘straight’ folks and is mostly about entertainment of that audience. The other is more about the gay community and has kind of a family feel to it and is way more fun. Since the one you are looking at is in a gay bar, I would guess it’s like the latter. In that case, any attire (including MIAD) is acceptable cuz the whole point is to shed societal conventions. You should totally go!!! You’ll be kicking yourself if you miss the opportunity. Now that I think of it, almost every time I’ve been to a drag show I’ve been alone. Don’t worry it’s actually quite easy to make friends (or at least someone to chat with) at those shows, especially if you’re dressed. Oh, and don’t forget to bring lots of one dollar bills....
    Oh! You Pretty Things ... Come join us for:
    Paint the Town Chicago (Feb 23-26, 2023)
    More info here -> https://linktr.ee/PtT2023

Julie,

You're right. I'll be super upset with myself if I don't. I guess I'll just have to buck up and do it. If it sucks, I can just leave, but I have a feeling it won't. I may even find a new friend or two!

I'm intrigued about the $1 bill comment. Do you tip the performers?

Oh yes. Definitely.

Been to many. Kansas City has two great venues - Missie B's and Hamburger Mary. You can go in drab or dressed. No one cares.

When i was in my 20s I met a drag queen who became my mentor. She taught me lots about makeup, clothes, speaking etc.We actually met when i was in drab shopping. I was looking at a particularly cute dress when she said, from behind me "...that will loook good on you..." I thought I'd been busted. I turned certain I would see one of my fellow officer's wives but instead I saw an absolutly gorgoeus woman. She introduced me to the drag world. This was in Austin TX when i was stationed ar Fort Hood. She actually invited to perform with her but at the time, DADT was in full force so i resisted.

Sabrina, OMG that's like a fairy tale! I'd best take my glass slippers with me tomorrow! LOL

All of the above recommendations plus this one. You can always go in your male mode to check it out and enjoy the show. They probably put these shows on regularly, so if for comfort you go in male this time, next time you can go MIAD. Have fun and try not to drink too much.

I just went to a 'Dine and Drag' show, by myself, fully dressed (not at drag levels, but a nice dress, makeup, etc.). Note that I definitely don't fully pass, but make an honest effort.

No issues at all (apart from lousy food), and I had a wonderful conversation with a group of ladies who were there celebrating a graduation.

So definitely go and have fun - I did and it sure beat the hell out of watching Netflix and CD!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Been to many (at gay bars) most were mediocre at best, been in guy mode, man in a dress and full CD. I Would get the stink eye from the drag queens when in man in a dress mode. In my experience the gay community is accepting but they do throw a lot of shade, so be prepared for comments. Again, that has been MY experience. Just telling it like it is.

I've been to several and personally, solo is the way. You have ultimate flexibility. Not sure about MIAD. Maybe if you drag-up your makeup, even without a wig, etc.

Sounds like fun. Might have to give it a go sometime.

Taylor, I have all the makeup skills of a 3-year old with a box of sharpies, so that's going to be tough without any GG friends' assistance. 🤣

Drag shows are awesome. Don't be afraid but be aware some shows I've been at have drug people on stage but never against there will. So go! I'm certain you will have a great time.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have been to 4 or 5 drag shows 3 of which I was enfemme.
    They are fun and very entertaining so I'm sure you will enjoy it.
    Don't make up excuses to not go plus this is a great time too go because you are free so to speak.
    If you decide to dress or not makes no difference go and have a good time.

I went to one in Las Vegas last year. It was not my first time out en femme, but it was the first time out in a skirt. The show, Divas Las Vegas, was top notch. Even though I went alone and it was a mostly cis audience, I had a good time despite being a nervous wreck.

If you like, you can read an article on my blog where I wrote about the experience: https://crossdresserreport.com/cross...vas-las-vegas/

Go out and have fun! If I can do it, you can definitely do it.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Best advice I can give you is go. They are always a good fun time and you will be welcome how ever you show up. It would be more fun with friends but not a necessity.

In my town there are two Gay clubs. Both have Drag show on several nights. I normally go dressed, but have also gone drab, and with my digital camera. I take a lot of Photos (0ver 100) of the queens and then when I get home I process them and print out a few photos And take them to the club a few days later. Sometimes I don't even use a flash becose a spotlight provides better lighting than a flash.
    I have performed in their talent shows and karaoke nights. Both in drab and dressed.
    Go have fun. If you go dressed, wear what you normally would for a night out in a local bar. Do not dress to the nines like I did the first time. If you do you will feel like an outsider and could end up sitting by yourself. I now sit with the entertainers after the show. I normally carry $20 USD in ONEs.
    I typically run a bar tab but have never order more then two mixed drinks then I switch to coke so that I will be OK to drive the 7 miles home.
    The first time I was alone and worried about driving from one town to the center of the neighboring City.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I’ve been to a bunc, both at gay clubs and geared towards straight people. Just remember that it’s a different community - you wont find a lot of drag queens on a CD/TG forum. My personal recommendation is to go drab or full presentation... MIAD may not be the best choice for that crowd.

Gold Member
    Way long time ago, When I was on R & R in Australia, I believe it was 1968, I saw a "SHOW" not knowing it was a drag show.
    the performers where very cute, and all us "Military Type People" where cheering them on.
    It was not until much later that I found out they where all "MEN".
    WOW I wish I could look half as good as they did. I wanted to talk with any one of the Girls, but it was not allowed.
    Rader

I would say that just going to it couldn't be a bad thing. If you choose to go MIAD or even just in usual male drab I would you would enjoy the show. I've always wanted to go see a Darg show but they just don't get around West Texas area to my knowledge.

Banned Read only
    No. I usually go to gay bars in the day times sometimes, not at night, because I don't want to attempt a failed capitalization in a situation if someone holds me up at gun point on bourbon street. I might see some drag queens when I go out on bourbon tomorrow. I have no concern for their performance, but at least they are eye candy.

See their performance.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Some friends and I went to ‘Drag queen bingo’ at a gay bar in Melbourne a few years ago. We enjoyed it so much we went back again a few weeks later. Funny as.

The crowd were mostly gay, and we didn’t see anyone dressed (I wasn’t a CD myself at that time, so I may not have noticed).

Great fun, though.

Michelle

I've only been to one drag show and I can't say that I noticed anybody in the audience that was a CD. Of course they could have been good enough that I couldn't spot them.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.