Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIADs...a question

Banned Read only

MIADs...a question

I admit to really hating the MIAD look but I will staunchly defend your right to dress that way to anyone. That being said, are you attracted to dresses and other typically female garments because of the actual way they look or because they are marketed towards women? If sartorial history was flipped and dresses were all along considered to be a male garment would you still want to wear one?

If I put myself on the spot, I would have to admit that it's probably the fact that certain items are supposed to be for women and not men is what makes them appealing. Things like "manties" are a complete turn off for me: http://www.manties.net/

When I found out that certain Bulgari fragrances were actually considered unisex and not just women's I did not like them as much (even though I still wear them on occasion). None of this is rational but I guess my brain is just wired that way. If three piece suits and ties were considered only women's wear I would probably be a lot more interested in them. As it is now, I kind of detest suits (the YSL Le Smoking being an exception) and I most definitely HATE ties.

I used to hate the color pink not because of gender connotations but because I thought it was kind of juvenile looking. The wide spread appearance and marketing of "millennial pink" has definitely worked on me and I now have several accessories and clothing in that pale pinkish color. I still find it fascinating that pink was originally for baby boys because it was considered a strong color and blue was for girls because it was seen as softer.

The whole idea of gender is really weird but I am definitely influenced by it.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kayla_bayarea View Post
    The whole idea of gender is really weird but I am definitely influenced by it.
    You are probably in the right place then

I do not 'crossdress' as such but generally always present in clothing that represents who I feel I am gender wise (this is non-binary). Being genetically male I need to dress in womens clothes to present the chosen mixed appearance so I am automatically attracted to female specifc items and dislike male specific items such as your suggested suit and tie. I do not do MIAD day to day so dresses and skirts are for home and trips out on my occasional 'all-woman' days. Make sense?

I like to wear "women's" clothes because they are comfortable and they feel good to wear. When I am dressed I do not sit like a women or walk like a women. I am just myself and act as I normal would. I am just more comfortable.

My choice of dresses or skirts are usually long and loose. I like feeling of the fabric brushing lightly on my legs. I also like pantyhose and leggings, as I like the tightness and softness of them. Mostly depends on which feeling I want for the day, loose or tight.

Don't even get me started why I wear panties.

In my perfect world, clothes would not have a gender.

Difficult one, and I don't know if I have really thought about it. I know I feel comfortable when dressed this way and wish I could express it openly. My guess is that if it was considered a male item I would still want to wear it.

I admit to really hating the MIAD look but I will staunchly defend your right to dress that way to anyone. That being said, are you attracted to dresses and other typically female garments because of the actual way they look or because they are marketed towards women? If sartorial history was flipped and dresses were all along considered to be a male garment would you still want to wear one?
    I'm a YSL Mon Paris, in Guy mode! But that wasn't the question though!

Just curious about the direction of the question? Due to the fact that my answer would be quite similar if presenting as CD, MIAD or QuestionableMale/Female whoever! "I like to choose what I wear"

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I think that items made for women are more appealing to me for that reason, even down to which deodorant to buy.
    Crissy

For me I sometimes wear women's attire because I feel feminine - not the other way around. But what really attracts me is the freedom of movement, both body and air, in many women's clothes. Really don't care much for the tight garments that much. What I find most attractive is the variety of colors and patterns of colors available in women's clothes that are almost totally absent in men's clothes, except for things like Hawaiian shirts. To me it is almost like wearing art. I especially like flower and plant patterns, semi real or more abstract. But then I am a botanist so I guess that attraction is understandable.

If the tables were turned, that would still attract me to those clothes for my daily wear. If women wore three piece suits I really don't know how I would react. That said, it is almost universally true that women wear things that are more flowing because it complements their common trait of being more graceful than males. In that sense, perhaps the question in absurd because I doubt women wearing a great deal of what men wear probably is not going to happen and even if it did those garments would be modified in some way to complement the woman's body shape and form as well as their characteristic movement style that body shape and form more easily allows.

If it’s girly, I want it. I’m unmistakably a guy. Never could “pass”, so I am definitely a MIAD. I just yearn to be feminine. Wired that way.
    Lace and Smiles!
    Lisa

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I'm basically attracted to all things nylon. It is difficult, to near impossible to find nylon in anything in mens clothing. It started off more as a fetish thing with me and has morphed into what it is today. To wear pantyhose/tights can be rather hot at times, so wearing a skirt while in pantyhose makes sense to me. Besides, showing your legs is nice too. There is still something about it being clothing made for a woman that does have an appeal. It's difficult to describe other than to use an example, having a touch of lace on a cami which is just hidden by the last button being done up.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Being a MIAD I have had plenty of time to consider your question!

The reason you are getting diverse answers is that gender is a multi-strand experience- it is not one thing, it is 5 or 6 at least- probably more as we refine our thinking.
    Part of Gender-
    is how we present ourselves to others and send messages about what to expect
    is the stance we take in reacting to others and directing them
    is wired in our anatomy and biology and hormones
    is taught us
    is performance- expected roles and responsibilities
    is culturally assigned powers and privileges
    is flexible according to circumstances and relative importance to what is going on
    is aspirational- 'becoming a man'
    is not in our control at all- how others see us
    is voluntary
    is involuntary
    is emotional
    is logical or intellectual
    is...

And all these things are interacting with various intensities- yikes! We try to understand it through questions like yours- and it is a good question!

I can say with assurance that when I am unhappy with being restricted to male assigned things, then any tiny thing assigned to females is a desirable thing to have. When I am out and about in a short dress and heels, doing the ordinary business of life, I am much more particular about what I like and don't. I love the sensuality of it but have to concentrate on other things like driving or getting the right card out of my wallet, so it is more subdued than when I admire myself in the mirror and am only surrounded by a flood of pleasure hormones!

When I am feeling like I simply am a male woman- I am aglow inside whatever I am wearing and feeling only annoyed, not imprisoned, if I can't wear what I want.
    We are all beautiful...!

are you attracted to dresses and other typically female garments because of the actual way they look or because they are marketed towards women?
    is there a reason why someone can't be attracted to the way a dress looks and have a desire to wear it because it is marketed toward women?

First, let me comment that i am really glad to see a number of MIAD posts lately. Years ago I tried the "passing" thing, and while it was fun and exciting, it really wasn't ME. I have since started buying things that I just happen to like wearing. There is still a little bit if a thrill wearing something marked as "women's" versus "men's," but for me it is still ultimately what i feel comfortable in. I'm not out to "shock" the world, but I just find things like ballet flats, leggings and skirts more comfortable and practical in most cases. Most of the time my wardrobe is a mixture of both men's and women's clothing. I'm not sure if that answers your question, but it is how I approach the issue.
    https://balletflatsformen.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JanesCDcloset View Post
    I like to wear "women's" clothes because they are comfortable and they feel good to wear. When I am dressed I do not sit like a women or walk like a women. I am just myself and act as I normal would. I am just more comfortable.

My choice of dresses or skirts are usually long and loose. I like feeling of the fabric brushing lightly on my legs. I also like pantyhose and leggings, as I like the tightness and softness of them. Mostly depends on which feeling I want for the day, loose or tight.

Don't even get me started why I wear panties.

In my perfect world, clothes would not have a gender.

This is me. I just don't have time or energy to go all out as complete femme. Most of the time I don't leave the house anyway dressed, except for underdressing.
    Life is too short to be boring.

I dress to look like a woman. When I dress up it always includes make up, breast forms and a wig or my long hair styled. I have no idea if I pass, but I like how I look and how it makes me feel. I do take on feminine postures when dressed. I wanted to be a girl. Always loved how girls and women looked. Makes me so happy those special moments.

Banned Read only
    So, if we go back to Adam and Eve before the debacle with the snake, and, therefore not even a fig leaf would you be confused as to your gender? Do fig leaves come in male and female or are they just plain fig leaves? I sort of figure it would be really easy to identify males and females before we all decided to don those fig leaves. I digressed.

There is something in my inner makeup which attracted me to women's clothing around the start of puberty. I don't know what it is, although there may be some speculation. My wife pondered when we had "The Talk," "Why would a man wear a bra if he has nothing to pack into it?" Valid question I thought. I've come to the conclusion there is some dna component of the female sex in my genetic pool. It makes the most sense. Why would I otherwise risk all the negativity society heaps upon those who are not like the general masses; transgender, gay, lesbian, etc?

If I were just comfortable wearing a dress, why do I choose to also wear a bra, if I have "nothing to pack into it?" If I feel it is necessary to break the conventional rules of society it would make sense to try to fly under the radar by trying to look as womanly as possible. Personally, I do not feel complete if I am not wearing a bra. Modesty? After all women were burning their bras back in the 1960's. Jiggling all over the place! I do forego makeup and nail polish because, like any woman, is it necessary for what I intend to accomplish on any given day? If I am doing domestic chores there is no necessity to glam up. My wife does not glam up when doing the laundry.

I do not wear anything but dresses when it comes to outerwear. I suspect that is part of my visual upbringing of the 1950's and 1960's. In my neighborhood women did not wear pants.

So, when Stephanie arises for whatever reason, she wants to appear feminine by wearing a dress and all the proper undergarments. I suspect if the role of clothing were to switch and genetic men wore dresses and genetic women wore pants, then I as a man would want to shed my dress because my inner self would want to emulate a woman wearing pants. If for some reason I want to identify as the opposite sex, then I would need to wear the corresponding clothing.

As to my desire to wear a certain type of dress, that's nothing more than a personal preference akin to me desiring to wear a certain color or style of male clothing. Give me a floral print dress anytime.

I like to dress the way JaneCD does. Loose and long and comfortable. I thoughly enjoy feeling the silky underthings under a nice skirt or dress. I don't get to dress often (wife hates it) so when I do, it really makes my day.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Kayla, whether they'll admit it or not? There's a fetish element involved in our dressing. Otherwise, how can u explain the countless "pantie" threads here? An item no one can see!?

Personally, I'm not fond of the MIAD look. However, when I go out, I'm stuck with it!

I don't rate the items I wear on a "femininity scale". I wear what women I'm attracted to wear. And, I admit to being attracted to pretty women in almost anything! Or, nothing!

And, those r the looks I try to imitate!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

This question is a giant “what if” that you can speculate on for hours but it’s never going to give you any useful information.

Banned Read only
    Kayla,
    It's quite an involved question with no single answer .

I see the clothes as a window to the World of how I feel inside , I have to admit sometimes the clothes aren't that practical maybe that could be considered an attraction, the fabrics, the way they fit and how they move is someything a guy very rarely experiences . Then there is the shopping element , I love shopping for female items , I have to force myself to buy drab items but just love being accepted enough to openly take clothes into a changing area and talk them over with SAs . It feels so right , I'm in total comfort zone . I even enjoy discussing items for my home , whether it be soft furnishings or domestic items , I'm now living alone more or less as a woman would , is it a slow transition ? Maybe but it does feel good !

To answer the MIAD question it just wouldn't work for me , drab does very little for me so why do I need to retain it , annoyingly I can't totally escape it !
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-01-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Aspiring Member
    I believe that as a child I experienced gender dysphoria. I believed that girls had it better in life than boys. I thought that all parents preferred girls. I thought girls were naturally better than boys. I always understood I was a boy, but I would have liked to be a girl. Crossdressing was just a way of making my world right. As I grew older, I slowly learned to appreciate my manhood, but my brain was already hardwired to release feel good neurotransmitters when I crossdress.

Nowadays all of my crossdressing is in the MIAD mode. It is easier that way. Yes, it would be nice to pass as a woman sometime, but it isn't necessary. Wearing soft, smooth, feminine clothes feels great. The more feminine the better. If the clothes are pretty, then I feel pretty, even in MIAD mode.

I admit to really hating the MIAD look
    Unless you're in the 1% who can actually pass, then you're in with the rest of us: To most of the world, we're all just men in dresses. There's almost always something that instantly gives us away. Got a brow bar on your forehead? Man in a dress. Big feet or hands? Man in a dress. Voice? Man in a dress. Beard shadow, adam's apple, the way we walk, the way we move, the way we sit, the way we run, the distinct lack of a 70% waist hip ratio, any of the above will give others the instant reason to look at you more closely, and in seconds we are clocked.
    Enjoy wearing what you feel you should be wearing. If you're courageous enough to risk the dangers of being out, just be careful like REAL women do, because it's not a safe world for them OR anyone bending the gender lines. Sure, if you're a rather large and strong male, that offers you some automatic protection from attacks, but there are always those stupid macho types that feel the need to prove that he's tougher than the 'sissy'.
    I'm a man in a dress, and everything that goes with it. And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Someimes_miss, your reply has nothing at all to do with my thread. I'm not talking about how the general population perceives us. MIAD is a specific term this community came up with, not me. I am referring to wearing female clothing without doing anything else to feminize your appearance.
    Of course, I am positive you already know this.

I never said I pass so I'm not sure why you brought this up. You are missing the point if this discussion completely.

Stepanie47, I'm with you 100%. I love wearing dresses every day and would never go without feminine underthings as well.

I think we all start dressing in clothes that are attractive to us when seen on a woman. In the beginning it usually is just sexual stimulation, a fetish. Since very likely those attractive women are unavailable or unattainable we wear those garments as a replacement of the object of our attraction. We wear panties, garter belts, nylons, slips, skirts to resemble them as much as possible. In time, wearing those items becomes a routine and the original reason for wearing them fades away. We find those clothes more pleasant and especially more comfortable to wear. It becomes a norm. I have never felt a desire to be a woman or even look like one. It became my normal daily attire. My membership on this forum opened my eyes to the multitude of people who want to be women, or at least to look like one as closely as possible. That was completely strange to me and I wasn’t sure that i belong here.

That’s when I put forward an idea of “MIAD”; a man in a dress. The response was fantastic from others who felt like I did. And the term seems to have caught on and became a generic term for men who while dressing like women have no desire to look like them completely. Like everything in life there is no clear-cut uniformity among us. Some like to wear heels or perhaps jewellery and wigs, yet remaining noticeably male, even with beards.

As a MIAD I do not emulate women, I just wear clothes that women used to wear, before they switched to trousers. I certainly have no desire to dress like a woman in trousers.

The clothes I wear are my clothes and I like them and I want to look like what I am: “a man in a dress”: a MIAD.

P.S.| no femininity involved here.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

For me:

I am still a MIAD, but hope to go out in public dressed (with wig and makeup) in the next month or so. I guess then I'll no longer be a MIAD. But for now...

Why do I dress? I love the feel of womens clothing. I love the range of choices, in colour, and fabric. I love the fact that they are womens clothes, and will still wear them even if they resemble mens clothing. When I walk my dogs I wear womens jeans and a dull-looking blouse (or a blouse that looks like a Hawaiian shirt).

When I'm dressed I want to present (as much as possible) a female figure. So I wear a padded bra, as well as bum and hip pads. If I look in the mirror I want to see (from the neck down at least) a female figure, and when I move about I want to move in a female way. So I do my best to walk, move, feminine, and use feminine gestures and actions. One day I'll begin to work on my voice, but for now I'm busy enough.

Michelle.