What were your first makeup/makeover experiences?

At 56 years old, I started crossdressing 9 months ago. I'd never worn makeup in my life, until my significant other did a complete makeover 6 months ago. I was actually mostly disappointed because I imagined I would look better. Also, the wig I bought over the internet was hard to style to make it look right. But my SO thought I looked quite good. In retrospect I realize she did a really good job considering what she had to work with! Four months ago I had my first professional makeover by someone who used to work at Sephora and Mac, but works out of her home now, so it was perfect because I wanted it to be done in private. When she was done with the makeup, I still didn't think I looked good in the mirror, but when she put the wig on I had bought at a local wig shop that the owner thought was the best one for my face, I was really amazed at how I looked like a 56 year old woman! It was an incredible feeling.

How did seeing "you" for the first time impact your inner girl or life?

I think the main thing it did for me was tell me that I could look pretty good with the right makeup and wig, and so I didn't get discouraged, but have now been outside fully dressed 6 times so far, and really enjoyed each time.

Who or what do you suggest to ensure I get the most meaningful result?

I suggest you get someone who knows how to do makeup to do it for you, or show you how to do it, and that you get a wig from a local shop so an expert can pick the right style and color for you. Also have an outfit selected that you've already tried every piece: clothes, underwear, shoes, jewelry. Then go out with someone you know and trust (ideally spouse or partner) and if possible go to an LGBT-friendly establishment, or a crossdresser club/support group meeting. This is exactly what I did for my first outing 4 months ago, and it turned out perfectly, and I was not nervous or stressed at all. For me having everything planned and lined up for that big day was the only way to do it.