Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Women in your life

Becky what a fun question!
    I know my wife and my sister have influenced my look a ton. Most of my fashion ideas come from what my wife and her appearance for sure.
    I am a subtle make up wearer, much like my sister and wife. Neither really use a ton of eye shadow or mascara. Tho we all use a lot of foundation, probably to hide wrinkles. lol

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Becky, my mother really never influenced me at all, and I had no sisters. I don't think my desire to wear my mom's clothes when I was a child was influenced by her; it was simply that I wanted to feel and look like other little girls, and those clothes were the only ones available to me, I suppose. I think I was more influenced by the Sears catalogues we received! As for my wife, she is a girly girl, and I love the way she dresses. But her influence on me is more direct, in that she often buys me things...she knows that I like to try to be really pretty and girly, and so buys me clothes that even she probably wouldn't wear...chiffon dresses and the like.

Interesting thread. My mother always dressed nicely...prim and proper. She always wore hose and, I, occasionally would peek and watch her put them on. Yes, when young, I tried her hose and have been hooked ever since. I eventually outgrew her high heels. Moving forward, my supportive wife is very “girly-girl”. As a former fashion model, she’s helped me in every facet of my dressing. Recently, she hardly ever wears hose or heels...comfort is#1. We have similar tastes in clothes.

Silver Member
    I grew up in a time that girls wore dresses to school. My sisters wore nice clothes and popular styles at the time. I inherited last years outfits from them. Since they taught dancing they had several formals etc. They both were girly. My mom too. When I was out working on my own I worked at a dept store which sold nice women's clothes. I dated a couple girls that were models and they taught me a lot about looks. My wife was very girly, but by then I was set in my style. I've owned lots of women's clothes over the years. I bought top quality clothes that for the most part followed classic lines.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My mom always dressed up, wore dresses and makeup. My wife and daughters don't. My wife always tells me that I can be the one into makeup and being a girly girl, as she isn't interested in it at all. That doesn't mean that she doesn't borrow things though.
    Dana Ryan

I am interested in hearing whether your SO and the other women in your life now and in the past dress generally and whether the way they dress influences you at all
    My GG does buys things for me but is practical as working outside and gardening......My Xs were more tomboys and very little influence.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

My mother wasn't particularly girly, her style has inspired me to never own anything that could be found in her wardrobe. My SO isn't super girly but taught me a lot, we share some similar styles and even have a few matching things (she wears it better obviously) however I'm the only one who wears any pink.
    I took a lot of styling cues from my childhood best friend, she always had the best clothes (and the reason I own SOOOO much tartan!). Definitely more of an alternative/punk thing than anything else.

I try to style most of my wigs after her hair too. One day I'll be able to do my own victory rolls as glorious as hers were.....

Silver Member
    Mother and older sisters, no effect. Wife even more so. She only used lipstick when we went out, but never any additional makeup (we probably saved a small fortune). Me? Lipstick and jewelry every day in house, but I will wear makeup (no foundation), and hair if destination driving or going out with forum friends for dinner. Even at my age, I dress in a younger style, a little on the "girly-girl" side. Dresses are preferred though I have many skirts and tops.