Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I look "au naturel" with minimal makeup and wearing a maxi dress?

Aspiring Member
    Nikki,
    You look fantastic no matter your look (i.e. minimal or glam makeup), and you rock both hair styles and colors.

you look like a woman.

you have a prominent chin but you still look feminine

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Nikki,

As my header says, I was shocked and stunned that you have never been out! From all the pics I'd ever seen of you I'd made the assumption that you are a regular "goer outer". It never occurred to me that you had yet to venture out.

All I can say is you've left it far too long.

I fully understand the nervousness in taking those first steps from my own experiences. Scary doesn't do it justice. That said I'm so glad I made that leap for without it I'd have forsaken so many lovely experiences.

Even if you have to drive over 100 miles, as I did, to attend your first social/support group, do it. Meeting like minded others helps enormously. It was after talking to a CD'er who, and I don't want to be cruel here, wouldn't pass, nay even blend well, who went out regularly, gave me the confidence to go out shopping the following day.

It's a hot topic on the forum, passing Vs blending and it'd come as no surprise that I'm on the side of blending. You have it in your gift to merge into the crowd. Dressing up to the nines is something we all enjoy, looking like the bees knees. That however is something GG's do on rare occasions so it's something we should emulate. Your dress down pics look just fine. Yep it's counter intuitive but having said that it's also true that enough is as good as a feast and that applies to makeup as well as clothing.

I don't pass but I believe I dress in such a way as I can move through a busy shopping mall in relative anonymity. Sure a few will read me but I've learned to not react, to stay calm and carry on.

You need to decide to do this in your own time and pace but please be assured that you have it within your power to experience that which so many of us have. The joy, elation and satisfaction of being you, out in muggle land.

I wish you all speed.
    Yes, it's true...I really haven't been out...almost always closeted in my home or on occasion out to my back yard. I've only visited a few LGBT friendly bars during Halloween. This certainly doesn't "count" as being out and about in public. Right now, I'm giving serious thought to going out during the day (maybe a visit to the seamstress who altered my mermaid gown). She was rather surprised when I brought her the gown. Oh dear, no idea how she'd see me transformed and expressing my true inner self. So, I'm working to gather some additional items I'd need to go out during the day. I just bought a large handbag. Unfortunately, the sandals (no heels!) I bought are just a bit too small. Tomorrow, I'll hopefully find something that fits and then we'll go from there. The idea of going out excites me and scares me...I get ansey just thinking about it! Nikki

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    Yes, it's true...I really haven't been out...almost always closeted in my home or on occasion out to my back yard. I've only visited a few LGBT friendly bars during Halloween. This certainly doesn't "count" as being out and about in public. Right now, I'm giving serious thought to going out during the day (maybe a visit to the seamstress who altered my mermaid gown). She was rather surprised when I brought her the gown. Oh dear, no idea how she'd see me transformed and expressing my true inner self. So, I'm working to gather some additional items I'd need to go out during the day. I just bought a large handbag. Unfortunately, the sandals (no heels!) I bought are just a bit too small. Tomorrow, I'll hopefully find something that fits and then we'll go from there. The idea of going out excites me and scares me...I get ansey just thinking about it! Nikki
    Helen,

Last night I bought a large handbag that I think will go with my maxi dress. Unfortunately, I also bought two pair of sandals and they're both too small...why can't women size shoes be consistent in their sizing? So, it back to the store to make some returns and try to find the right size. If I can get everything together, maybe, just maybe I'll get out of the house!

Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Louise View Post
    Nikki, you do look great in your glammed up photos, but I much prefer this more natural look. Very nice. Very nice indeed!
    Thank you Sarah...I'll prefer the more natural look if I get out in public and find that I can blend in...boring is the goal! Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by Shely View Post
    You look perfectly natural and happy. It isn't necessary to go the whole nine yards all the time. Women don't always do the entire makeup job. You look FINE.
    Shely, I do feel much less stressed with a more natural look. It's a weird dichotomy...I'm still uncomfortable wearing less makeup but I am less anxious than when I dress to the whole nine yards. FINE is good...FINE is boring! Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Nikki,
    Believe me you are worrying far too much , once you've manged a few trips out you'll wonder what all the fuss is about .

The blond wig is really very good , if you try taking the longer ends away from your chin and put a touch of bounce in the sides the face shape will become more rounded . Also the eyes are very good perhaps they want toning them down for everyday but maybe put a little more colour on you lips . May I ask if the picture was taken as a selfie on your phone ? If so it might be an idea to find someone to take your pics with a longer lens , it's not cheating but mobile phone cameras don't produce a natural picture , noses and chins dominate the picture and tend to look larger .
    But Teresa, I'm the worrying type...and the perfectionist type...and the anxious type! Oh, no...the blonde hairstyle will draw too much attention and its a synthetic while my brunette wig is 100% European hair and looks much more realistic in person. The hair naturally flows and bounces and doesn't tangle...not one bit. Yes, my pics are selfies. I didn't know selfies alter your appearance somewhat. It's really hard for me to judge how I look b/c I just see my masculine features standing out. I'll dig out my old digital camera and take some pics and see if there's a difference in my appearance. Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

I think you look great

Very nice Nikki you do have a nice girl look with or without make-up
    Angie

With each passing day, I'm getting more use to the natural look...my makeup routine is certainly much quicker and easier!

Quote Originally Posted by phili View Post
    Nikki, I don't see any 'sacrifice', just a beautiful girl.

Makeup does not the girl make-
    [Shakespeare? lol well it's true anyway- you are you, au naturel is natural]
    Thank you for the kind note Phili...I am beginning to feel more natural (more my true self) being au naturel. I might be starting to realize that I was hiding myself under all the glam makeup. Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaPDX View Post
    I think you look great. Can we see the whole dress?
    Hi Brenda...oh, most certainly you can see me in the whole dress. I've taken some outdoor pics. Since I'm becoming increasingly comfortable with a less glam and more natural look, I think I'll post the pic as my new avatar. Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaPDX View Post
    I think you look great. Can we see the whole dress?
    Hi Brenda...I've posted a pic of me wearing the whole dress as my new avatar. Nikki

Better watch your choice of words... "au naturel" usually means "in the nude" lol

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    The key to "passing" is "blending.
    Do whatever it takes.
    I'm lucky: my wife has the final say on how I look, whether it's just around the
    house or to go to the mall.
    She has me dress and then she'll invite some of her friends over for coffee.
    I would like to "play maid" but not as yet, so I'm just in the other room on
    the computer; going to the kitchen getting a drink now and then; or letting the
    dog out and then the dog in.
    I think she's letting her friends know she's the boss, and she's right.
    Like your dress. Mind if I ask what kind of pads you're wearing and what kind and size of bra?

Quote Originally Posted by DMichele View Post
    Nikki,
    You look fantastic no matter your look (i.e. minimal or glam makeup), and you rock both hair styles and colors.
    Hi Michele, I was surprised to learn that I could look decent with minimal makeup...for all these many, many years I thought more was better. I'll admit that, happily, I was wrong. Thank you for the positive words! Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by sugababe View Post
    you look like a woman.

you have a prominent chin but you still look feminine
    Ooo...I so like knowing that I look like a woman...I know I feel like a woman. I'll readily agree that I have a prominent chin. It does look worse in pics than in the mirror but it's definitely pronounced nonetheless. If I had FFS, the chin would be first thing changed that's for sure! I do appreciate your honest opinion about how I look...Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by Connie D50 View Post
    I think you look great
    Thanks Connie!

Quote Originally Posted by Angie G View Post
    Very nice Nikki you do have a nice girl look with or without make-up
    Angie
    Hi Angie, haha - lol...I've gone to less makeup but definitely not no makeup! Nikki p.s. I'm genuinely nice on the inside too...happy to know my outside matches my inside - nobody likes cookies that are crisp on the outside and uncooked on the inside. Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by Diane1950 View Post
    Better watch your choice of words... "au naturel" usually means "in the nude" lol
    Oh dear...not posting that!

Quote Originally Posted by CherylFlint View Post
    The key to "passing" is "blending.
    Do whatever it takes.
    I'm lucky: my wife has the final say on how I look, whether it's just around the
    house or to go to the mall.
    She has me dress and then she'll invite some of her friends over for coffee.
    I would like to "play maid" but not as yet, so I'm just in the other room on
    the computer; going to the kitchen getting a drink now and then; or letting the
    dog out and then the dog in.
    I think she's letting her friends know she's the boss, and she's right.
    Like your dress. Mind if I ask what kind of pads you're wearing and what kind and size of bra?
    Cheryl, how wonderful to have a supportive wife who provides feedback to you...I wish I had the same from my wife. She knows all about my feminine side but doesn't want to see me...wwaahh! Hopefully, that'll change some day which is a real possibility given that when she first learned about all of me she was not even to DADT...she was don't dress up...I don't like it. Now, she at least tolerates it.

I'm not wearing any pads...just a corset, "Paramour" underwire, convertible bra (size 38c), and forms. Geeze, the things I do for my girlfriends...I had to take my dress of to see the name of the bra...not easy refastening the upper back button on my halter maxi dress! Nikki

You look comfortable and confident and happy.

I always grieve the loss of contouring, but you look stunning!

I love the look. I wish that I could look half as you do with makeup.

You look great! The maxidress is a nice touch.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    You look fantastic and you have a lovely smile.

I like to think I'm in front of most things make-up,fashion wise etc but Contouring is something I just can't get right

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I think you look nice.... lucky girl!

Silver Member
    You look fabulous, I will have to look up some of your pictures when you are dressed up, the "dressed down" look definitely suits you

Nikki, I think that many of us here would be interested in how you balanced the need for color correct on your chinny chin chin (and at least in my case need to cover up GOOD with full coverage foundation) with the natural look. Would you indulge us and give us your quick recap of your base layers for your natural look? Inquiring minds want to know, and you could probably get Sephora to sponsor the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaK View Post
    Nikki, I think that many of us here would be interested in how you balanced the need for color correct on your chinny chin chin (and at least in my case need to cover up GOOD with full coverage foundation) with the natural look. Would you indulge us and give us your quick recap of your base layers for your natural look? Inquiring minds want to know, and you could probably get Sephora to sponsor the thread.
    Hi Katrina, You and other gals on the forum are probably not going to be happy with my answer. It's not going to be any help. I'm a strawberry blonde - red head (yay! I'm a Ginger which makes me extra, extra special!). So, my body hair to include my sparse facial hair is extremely light in color and difficult to see. I can easily go a day without shaving in male mode and no one notices any beard growth. Given my fortunate situation, I don't need any beard cover. I just apply MAC StudioFix powder foundation in a medium shade and I'm good to go! Nikki p.s. when I go with a more natural look I greatly reduce the amount of contouring, highlighting and strobing.

You look stunning! So natural and pretty. I would say that is the only up side of getting older, my beard is totally white. So I think I don't need foundation for a fem face.

Katrina, if your not one of those lucky rangas (Red heads nickname in Australia) like Nikki, get laser before its too late and all those dark hairs turn white and cant be killed off...
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec