Thread: Dressing and cheap tights

Dressing and cheap tights

I found out the hard way of buying cheap tights was not the way to go because the other day I put a pair on, thought all was well, went out to my car and as I was moving my legs into the car the inevitable happened! one of the seams went off with a very loud ripsnorting flatulance sound luckily I was at home when it happened if it had occurred whilst bending down in the supermarket I boggle to think at the looks I would have got!!
    I did laugh a lot afterwards!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Bobbi, while you are France and cannot go to Walmart (I assume), they have a very inexpensive house brand that I have used and have been happy with.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The tights manufacturers have all sorts of techniques, and runless tights exist, and then there are those that, for the same price, run when I touch them. The tiniest dry skin burrs on my hands, of which there are many, run the dang things just trying to put them on! Or if I get them on, the burrs on my dry toes split them in a short time walking! I finally found some tough ones, but I am a challenge. I am laughing imagining a television ad series about tights...
    We are all beautiful...!

I do have however some others which are more expensive and fit better it was just that i saw the n"dodgy" in my size that i thought I would give them a try little did O know what the outcome would be.
    By the way I have had a quick look and there is a Walmart here it is walmart.ca/fr makes me think ,that over here we are linked into the French speaking part of Canada, just a thought but thank you for your info I will look more deeply into them.

I believe that Walmart trade in the UK as ASDA and if that is true, i tried their in house brand and found the exact same thing. I now by my cheap daily hose from Primark and they are fine.

Hi Bobbi,

If out shopping and your tights self destruct then just do what any woman would do. Pop into the ladies WC and take them off and go bare legged.

Then again if you bought another pair while out you could reverse the process and put the new ones on!

Banned Read only
    Bobbi,
    You never know it might have started a new trend if they had gone in the middle of the supermarket , in fact they may have even donated a free pair if you showed how good they looked to other customers . Like I said 37" is a lot of ground to cover the tights gave up and said , " No way (Jose)Hose !!

I think the problem arises whether they are cheap or not.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Oh my goodness lol, well sometimes we girls have to deal with such things helps us appreciate our wives and ex’s running
    a pair of hose even more.

With legs your length Bobbi, a ladder in your tights would reach to the stars; cheap tights are for bank robbers to cover their faces. I nearly always wear John Lewis' own brand of control or sleek tights, they also sell ladder resistant ones.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Banned Read only
    Tights or pantyhose, same rules apply.

ALWAYS use cheap disposable plastic gloves on your hands when putting on and

2) Smooth your feet and especially your toes and heels and then dip in water and dry. I use both plain old 80 grit sandpaper and a small multipurpose variable speed handgrinder for smoothing at least a couple of times a week even though I very rarely wear tights or pantyhose.

Lotion also works wonders even w/o sanding.

Aspiring Member
    I'm with Carole on this one. Cheap tights do not feel as good as pricier ones and my favourite sheer tights are from John Lewis too (apart from Wolford ones but they are very pricey). Aristoc and Falke also have lovely ones. You get what you pay for but it might not apply to durability - I find the John Lewis ones run a bit too readily.

I said in another thread I haven't worn pantyhose in years. Thank goodness! I just looked up Wolford tights. Holy crap! I had no idea how expensive!

40 years ago my new wife and I both worked near-minimum-wage jobs and we both wore pantyhose every day. For a long time I wouldn't wear hose with a run in them even though I was wearing them under slacks or jeans. She wouldn't, of course, because she was usually wearing skirts or dresses. She'd go through about 2 pair a week and I'd go through about one pair a week. We wore Leggs or Haynes, but even with those it seemed like we were going broke (not far to go!) buying pantyhose. I eventually started wearing hers after she got a run in them. Under jeans it didn't really matter.

With legs my length a leg up at any time would be a great help!!LoL the more expensive ones that I have, which I can get quite easily are a good fit €6.50 for 2 pairs so not too bad but only me could have a pair of tights that have the ability to make rude noises! Its life! Maybe whoever invented tights had the CD world in their sights waiting for interesting happennings to his/her invention
    Maybe I could write a book on the highs and lows of tights!

Like Colleen, i buy my tights from Primark.
    Usually 40 - 80 denier for the colder weather. Considering how cheap they are, i find they last really well, which is great on my limited budget.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

When BHS stores went bust a few years ago there main supplierCourtalds also went to the wall, Courtalds were the owners of Pretty Polly whos everday tights and stockings were fairly reasonable for the price. Since then all the supermarket and some department stores own brand hosiery quality has plumetted, this leads me to think that Pretty Polly was the main supplier of tights in this country. Although you can still see tights branded as Pretty Polly there more decorative tights and I would assume the rights to the name have been purchased by some other company.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm confused again. I wear tites every time I dress. I buy my tites at a ballet supply store. They r skin toned, completely opaque, and cost from $6 up. And don't run or rip at the seams, no matter how much I abuse them or how many holes r punched in them!

I sounds like u r describing nylons or pantie hose? Which tear and run quite easily.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Sherruy, Yes I am talking about hose