Thread: The Uber MIAD

The Uber MIAD

I've been a registered Uber driver for 2 years. I haven't actually driven any Uber passengers since late 2016. Our car (a 2007) was deemed too old by Uber.

Well, we went and bought a 2017 Nissan Rogue in June, and I'm planning to get back into it, but with a twist. I'm going to do all my Uber driving crossdressed from the waist down.

I realize some riders may find it odd, and that my driver rating may suffer as a result, but I haven't done it in a year and a half, so if Uber decides to penalize me, it's really no big deal.

My concern here is that this seems to be yet another example of pushing the envelope with my MIAD adventures. I'm wondering when enough will be enough. Will I always look for ways to be more "out there" in my little skirts and pretty shoes?

Either way, life is a game. May as well have fun along the way.
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

Uff!.. safety.

Admittedly, I don't know much about how Uber works. It looks as though the money is all done electronically, but I'd think to some, you'd look enough like a taxi and therefore at least look as though you carry cash. Being dressed might make the difference for a prospective attempt on it. Or if you pick up a party of guys who happen to be vehemently anti-trans... And then if it's at night as well...

It just feels dangerous..

But then, I've never been a Uber driver .

- Lydianne.

Meet the Male Uber Driver Who Chauffeurs in Drag
    It’s practically an article of faith in Los Angeles that you’ve got to have a gimmick, and one local Uber
    and Lyft driver has a doozy: dressing in drag while chauffeuring customers around town.
    Picture this: you call your ride share, and instead of the standard gray Prius, a car shows up with
    “Driving is a Drag” emblazoned all over it. Then, out pops drag queen Erika Simone in a bright yellow
    taxi driver mini-dress, fishnet stockings and a yellow cap reading “taxi.”
    “Hey, I heard you need a lift!” she says.
    Erika may be in drag, but the ride is anything but, as passengers program the music and Erika shares a
    toy chest of pink necklaces, funny sunglasses and jokey headbands. “People take a lot of selfies,” said
    Erika’s alter ego, a.k.a. Erik Koral in the non-drag world.
    For Erika Simone, Driving is a Drag, literally.
    Object 1
    There is one catch: Until the car arrives, Koral says, “Nobody knows I’m showing up in drag.
    Passengers see a picture of a guy in the driver profile.”
    Yet after 14 months and over 1,600 rides, Koral says that many passengers’ reactions have been
    positively giddy. “I’ve had people drop their shopping bags, invite me into their parents’ house for a
    dinner party and stop me on the street to take pictures. Only one passenger has turned down a ride, and
    he was nice about it.”
    “Erika in the yellow taxi driver outfit is a total cartoon character,” he says. “I really think that its one of
    the main reasons this concept has been so successful.” Koral says he deliberately avoids the look of,
    say, drag queens on RuPaul’s Drag Race, who have what he calls “huge hair and eyes and over-the-top
    makeup.”Erika Simone 01.jpg
    At some point your life will flash before your eyes......MAKE SURE IT'S WORTH WATCHING !!

Marika, while I chat with Uber drivers all the time, I could care less how they are dress.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Marika, while I chat with Uber drivers all the time, I could care less how they are dress.
    Jamie, exactly! I've ridden with Uber dozens of times, most recently in full girl mode. With the exception of a handful of really exceptional drivers, I can't remember any of their names or faces. I doubt my riders would, either.

Lydianne, Uber has protocols and procedures in case a passenger becomes unruly or causes a mess in a driver's car. Passengers are rated just like drivers, so if a passenger is rude or disorderly, future drivers will be able to refuse them service. And if the group of anti-CD guys you mentioned decides to take things to a dark place, rest assured I have more than lipstick and tissues in my purse...

The "Erika" tale above is an awesome schtick and I can imagine that it is more lucrative than being just some dude driving for Uber. And consider that she is in Los Angeles. In Northern Wisconsin, a man dressed in female clothes from the waist down is not likely to be met favorably. Neutral at best, perception as being creepy and possible safety issues as has been mentioned at worse. If this is your way of owning it, more power to you but it really seems that you have not thought it through.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Sara,

It's possible you're not familiar with Wisconsin, or at least the area I live in. I live in a city of about 20,000 people less than an hour south of Green Bay. I've been out many times, during the day and at night, dressed exactly that way and have never been threatened or harassed. I've even been to a couple local yahoo bars fully dressed (but still not passable), and have been very warmly received.

Wisconsinites, and midwesterners in general, are well known for their live and let live attitudes. A man in a dress is little more than a curiosity to most of these folks.

Quote Originally Posted by marika_jaye View Post
    My concern here is that this seems to be yet another example of pushing the envelope with my MIAD adventures. I'm wondering when enough will be enough. Will I always look for ways to be more "out there" in my little skirts and pretty shoes?
    I've been out many times, during the day and at night, dressed exactly that way and have never been threatened or harassed. I've even been to a couple local yahoo bars fully dressed (but still not passable), and have been very warmly received.
    When I did a quick check to find out a bit more about Über driving, I saw related articles about carjackings and other attacks; so from my point of view, I was just worried for your safety. However, since I do not live in your location and neither have I ever driven for Uber, I shall defer to your evaluation.

But since you have gone out many times during the day to bars fully dressed and interacted in your local community, then I'm struggling to understand how driving three-or-so people around "half" dressed would be pushing the envelope for you (?). I think what you have done before ( especially interacting in a bar ) is more progressive yet safer, is it not? .

- Lydianne.
    Last edited by Lydianne; 09-08-2018 at 07:21 PM.

It's possible you're not familiar with Wisconsin, or at least the area I live in. I live in a city of about 20,000 people less than an hour south of Green Bay. I've been out many times, during the day and at night, dressed exactly that way and have never been threatened or harassed. I've even been to a couple local yahoo bars fully dressed (but still not passable), and have been very warmly received.

Wisconsinites, and midwesterners in general, are well known for their live and let live attitudes. A man in a dress is little more than a curiosity to most of these folks.
    OK, if you want to believe that in this day and age.

I'd have had very similar advice if you were in Los Angeles. Presenting half baked as you describe isn't flying your MIAD flag because most don't even know what MIAD is. Instead, it is putting yourself in close quarters with people who might not be so into that live and let live thing you're talking about. How are you going to feel when a couple of those yahoos (using your term, assuming these are genuine "rednecks") hop into your car after a few Old Milwaukees? I can't imagine that ending well.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I recommend following the example of the taxi queen, be dressed above the waist and have a purse in the shotgun seat. People need to understand the story of their driver before they get in. If there is a mixed message, it is at least confusing. Dressing from the waist down means the lower half of you is different, and that presupposes sexuality, or hiding it by staying in the car.

It is also confusing when you cant see the person acting in real life. So getting out of the car, and saying hi, confirming the destination, etc. conveys order and safety and friendliness. Taking their bags in a manly way motivates the manly look, and the woman side makes sense as the nice social driver person, etc. After all, it also makes sense that one needs to have fun while driving around all day!
    We are all beautiful...!

Silver Member
    I would think if you wanted to wear a skirt or dress you should do as others have suggested and dress above the waist too. You don't have to be passable but don't increase the dichotomy of the event. I remember the first time I went to a circus and they had a half-man half-woman tent. Right side was a man and left was a woman. Suckers paid a buck or so to go in and see them. Wear nice casual clothes and have fun.

You didn't say if were out to people or not.

Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority here. Thanks everyone for your concern. I guess clothes aren't just clothes after all.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I know Erika in LA. We r FB friends and we have met at a few T events. She was featured in various medias for her Driving in Drag phenominon. But, at the present time has given up both Ubering and dressing!
    I think her dressing made her a bit of a celebrity. And, I don't recall her freaking out any of her riders. But, I don't think 1/2 or androgenous dressing will do anything beyond confusing your riders, Marika!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Wow. Looks like I'm in the minority here. Thanks everyone for your concern. I guess clothes aren't just clothes after all.
    I'm sure no one wants to see any one of our own getting hurt .

Clothes are just clothes to us, and there are safer ways of presenting yourself. Those of us that are supportive of MIAD would be fine with our drivers half femme. The surprise if they stay in the car might catch me off guard, but I would be supportive. However, to many regular guys, even when we are *not* their Uber driver.. even when we are just walking along the street and minding our own business, they take it upon themselves to interfere with our presentations.

But you make your own decisions, as we all do.

- Lydianne.

My 18 year old daughter had an Uber who was fully MtF, she felt quite safe, had a good chat.
    I think 1/2 & 1/2 would have worried about the why?
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    My thought would best either full on go for it. Or drab. I am no sure halfway house will cut it.

Binary presentation is more palatable to the general public over non-binary. It sucks. But it could affect your safety by ubering the wrong person. Could you somehow make it clear in your Uber profile? But then would this possibly still make you a target of hate?

I’m an uber driver, and always drive dressed. I’d say my look is non binary, or miad, if you like. I’m usually dressed in a skirt, and top, sometimes a dress, and always in makeup, and never had anyone react badly. I’ve gotten many compliments on my outfits, mostly from gg’s, but my favorite is when I’m wearing a maxi skirt, and a guy will say, “those pants look super comfortable “ which is my opportunity to let them know that I’m just wearing a skirt.
    If you’re comfortable, and friendly, you’ll be fine. If you don’t make it awkward, it won’t be. Being able to work dressed, is the main reason I drive full time. It’s wonderful, fun, and definitely safe. Just be careful, and smart.

Silver Member
    Few passengers will notice your waist down attire (a skirt, maybe?), but if they do they might be the opposite of what you fear and be supportive. To woman you meet, your feminine clothing sends a clear message "I am not afflicted with toxic masculinity". The chances are good that driving dressed gains you business rather than costing you. Good luck.

^^^^^^^ Dude picking up strangers in his car wearing decidedly feminine attire from the waist down might also send an unintended message "creeper in the car" which of course could be construed as another variation of toxic masculinity that you feel the need to cite.

People need to think these things through. Going through the effort to present 100% as a female, including makeup, sends a message as to who you are which the Muggles can at least get their head around whether they are inherently supportive or not, providing an excellent chance of disarming them.

Anyone who thinks it is tough for us to go out into the real world presenting as a female should consider what our MIAD friends go through. More often than not, we hear tales of tolerance and even acceptance but let's consider the activities that are portrayed. I think in this case, OP should be less concerned about presenting half-baked. If you want to be a MIAD driving an Uber, then put on a gosh darned dress and own it 100%.

Is there not the same chance of running into a gang member or drug addict in LA who may do something crazy, as there is a redneck in Wisconsin? Seems a little harsh to assume that LA is a lot safer than Wisconsin.

A Quick Update

Despite the warnings of well-meaning members of this forum, I decided to go for it. I've now taken about 15 Uber trips, while wearing a skirt, and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. In fact, one woman was literally fascinated by my choice of attire and we discussed it for the entirety of her trip.

Every passenger rated me 5 stars (the highest rating Uber has) and all but 2 of them tipped me.

The cross-section was very diverse. I had everything from a single (as in traveling alone - she didn't share her relationship status) woman to a college student (male) to a trio of beered-up karaoke-ists. I even had a guy get into my car, and when he sat down beside me, he brought a smell with him that I can only describe as "soiled my pants 6 beers ago." Thankfully the smell politely left with its original owner. Neither he or his spectacularly un-sober friend, who we both had to coax out of the car at the end of the trip so I could rush off to the next trip, said a thing about how I was dressed. The slightly-more-sober-but-hella-smelly guy tipped me $5 (on a $10 trip) and wished me a good night.

The conclusion I'm gradually arriving at is that people are, by and large, not at all invested in what a stranger is wearing, short of a meat suit (think Lady Gaga) or a killer clown costume. Do I expect never to encounter any ugliness? Of course not. Regardless of how we present ourselves to the world, ugly people will find ways to be ugly. However, I've found them to be the very rare exception and not the rule. When the ugliness arises, I'll handle it with grace and poise. If that doesn't work, I'll reach for something a bit more persuasive, which sits in a holster mounted to the door-side of my seat.

I refuse to live in fear of what someone else has to say about my lifestyle choices. I only wish my uncle were here so I could thank him for that lesson.
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

I didn't think it would be safe, but I'm pleased to hear you're proving me wrong. And credit to your passengers for their acceptance .

May the positive experience continue!

- Lydianne.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Considering your experiences so far, r u thinking of adding more than a skirt to your uniform, Marika!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Considering your experiences so far, r u thinking of adding more than a skirt to your uniform, Marika!?
    It's funny that you mention it! I just received my very first wig, and I'm going shopping for makeup with my GG bestie tomorrow. When I gain some level of competence with my makeup, I may indeed go for a more complete femme presentation in my Uber outings.

Until then, it's nice to just be me. 👠👜👚💄😊