Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shock value of drag queens

Banned Read only

Shock value of drag queens

Does anyone else think the shock value of drag queens has gone away? I keep seeing new events with drag queens and frankly it's getting pretty annoying. Drag queen bingo, story time with drag queens, etc. I no longer go to drag shows because I honestly find them pretty horrible now. The "I am so fierce and will just insult everyone" humor is really tired and not funny. Being over the top just to be over the top is understandably part of their shtick but it's just boring now. When I want that kind of entertainment I would much rather go to a burlesque show. Those acts are usually a lot more thought out and show some element of story telling. When you take away the "Hey! Look at me, I'm a drag queen! Gasp!" shock there really is not much left but a horrible show.

Drag shows are still great for someone's first time out because they can be usually be considered a safe space. But uggh, enough with pairing drag queens doing mundane activities because it's not entertainment. It's a money grab and needs to stop.

Personally i never liked it. I tend to agree with you.

As I've said before, not all drag shows are created equal, but I will agree that some, if not most, offer little in the way of creativity. Now don't get me wrong, those girls are hard working performers and I respect that. It's just that I'm not very entertained by a handful of drag queens lip-syncing pop and hip-hop numbers. And drag bingo? WTH?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Kayla have you been to a storytime with drag queens event? I highly doubt you will see their “fierce and insult everyone” act at that event. The money exchanging at these storytime with queens is usually the drag queens handing over money they had raised to the charity, library or programs. The local storytime with drag queens events that I have just happened to come across while browsing at the library displays their real life passion and caring personalities.
    Here in Winnipeg, the great majority of drag shows and other events help to raise money for local charities or to educate. Obviously the location of the event influences the attitudes and language that they display. A show at a nightclub is most often the attitudes, humour and language that you have come sick of. Where as a drag presence at a family friendly event or a fringe theatre festival would be totally opposite.

When out dressed in different countries and cities - honestly I've never been a fan or friend of drag shows, it's just no my world.

Banned Read only
    Hi Chantal,

It's good to hear that the proceeds from those events are going to charity. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean they are entertaining but of course a lot of charity events aren't either. I've watched clips of drag queen story telling and the one thing I do appreciate is that it exposes kids to people that are viewed as different. For that fact alone there is value but not much else. I'd rather see someone like David Sedaris read to me.

It's not the material itself of a drag queen's act that bothers me the most, it's the fact that it's repetitious and has gotten old. I would much rather pay to see a singer, dancer, actor, emcee, etc. that is not billed as a drag queen only because they are being celebrated and promoted for their actual talent. Not just the fact they are a drag queen.

I do not intend this thread to be one just to put down drag queens. The hours they spent to get ready is an act in and of itself and I'm sure many of them have talents not related to their drag queen act. If anything, this thread is a call out to promoters and organizers who think that drag queens are automatic entertainment. You can't have a banal and bland event and just expect to sprinkle in some drag queens to draw an audience. The shock value isn't there anymore (unless maybe if you are a sheltered tourist from the midwest suburbs). Just ogling them on stage is not enough. It's lazy programming. I don't see how people can view a drag show multiple times when there are so many better options. To each her own though.

I kind of like drag shows because they are a safe place. But you're right they do get boring. Its the same old same old. I also admire the queens for getting out there and making a statement. They were the start of the whole LGBT movement back in the 60's at stonewall
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Surely seeing a drag show several times is not far removed from seeing a singer perform several times? also to go to something several times is more of that person liking to go to this or that event several times. Its like music or books, liking is a personal thing and knocking something because of ones dislike is not fair. Whether that event was entertaining is down to those who like that event.
    Sure drag queens have a position in our society and cannot be knocked back just because of the way they are it would be like homophobia not on.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    My wife and I went to the famous Funny Girls drag show in the English seaside town of Blackpool a few years ago and had a fabulous time,its a sort of been that done that moment.Not been that interested on seeing a show again But I do appreciate the great lengths they go to and the effort they put into perfecting their art so I wouldn't ever diss them.And anyone that can walk in those skyscraper heels they wear get praise from me

Sophie
    Last edited by t-girlxsophie; 09-12-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kayla_bayarea View Post
    When I want that kind of entertainment I would much rather go to a burlesque show. Those acts are usually a lot more thought out and show some element of story telling.
    Perhaps the big difference here is that burlesque is created by GG's. Me and my wife went to a burlesque show a few months back and it was fantastic being thoughtful, outrageous and funny in equal measure. We've got tickets for an upcoming drag show which I expect to be outrageous and funny, but thoughtful, maybe not as much. But hey, I'll go along with an open mind.

Drag queens have become a bit passe, the good ones come up with a gimmick for their act frequently.

Like most comedy you have to find something unique to hold an audience's attention.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Honestly I don't think Drag Queens ever did anything good for our cause.

Thanks to them, that over the top image is the first thing that pops into people's minds when they think of anyone M to F.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 09-12-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Everyone has a place but I'm not fond of drag queens or their shows. Like some others I've always felt that they do more harm than good to our situation because of their appearance and their actions. Do real women look or act like they do? I think it just turns people off and we crossdressers are guilty by association.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't know why CDs think that gay bars are a safe place,the same thing that happens in reg bars happens in gay bars.
    If somebody wants to start something they will.
    I enjoyed the drag shows I have been to but I don't make a habit of going to them because I'm not much of a bar person and rarely drink.

Drag queens are entertainers and how they do it is up to them some are good some are not thats the way it is.
    I don't see full blown drag queens out in public places but I do see CDs and trans people.
    Drag queens are different than CDs or trans people but the public sometimes classifies them together.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-12-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Silver Member
    I totally agree with Roberta and Diane regarding shows like Ru Paul's. The final presentations of the queens are OK, but the behind the scenes crap that goes on just turns my concrete stomach. People see it and think that any man who dresses feminine is the same kind of person. Ugh!

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    There are some people who thrive on shock value, or being a show off. I see nothing ever changing to get away from the, "HEY, look at me", mentality that is within some people. Some people say that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but I'm not sure that I can agree. I have some difficulty have pride parades, because there is a lot of the "in your face" attitude in them. If people have freedom of expression, you will have to be prepared to have some shock value, in your face, and show off's.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Thanks to drag queens, crossdressers no longer get thrown into jail for dressing in public. The Stonewall Riots of 1969 in New York were started by "drag queens" and effeminate gay men who finally pushed back against police harassment. The "respectable, straight acting" gays were quick to denounce them for making gays "look bad" but now like to claim credit for the rebellion while ignoring who the real heros were.

Drag queens and crossdressers mainly come from entirely different milieus. Drag queens are usually naturally feminine, while crossdressers only wish they were. Drag queens are genuinely attracted to men, while some CDs only fantasize about having sex with men so they can feel like women. Apples and oranges. However, drag queens have done more good for CDs than CDs have done in return. At least have some respect.

Everyone has their own tastes. Sorry drag doesn’t do it for you anymore. The way I see it, you have two options: you can just be over it and move on to something you actually like, or BE the change you want to see. You’re complaining that drag is stale? Then get yourself dressed up and go out there and revitalize the art form.

I've only been to one such show in Vegas, over 20 years ago. There have been drag performers in a couple of gay bars in my area, but I haven't been to any. Lip syncing doesn't do much for me.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    While you may have a point about the riots, I beg to differ with your last paragraph. As every CD or TG that goes out in public dressed to blend in with the average housewife instead of looking like Carmen Maranda presents a positive image of us to the public.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 09-12-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Well let me jump in here. A feww years ago I was in Hotlanta with a group of CDers. We went to a local gay club that was featuring a show called Drag Races. I got to talk for some 5 min with their MC. A person called Ru Paul. At the time I didn't know who I was talking to. I was the only CDer who stood as tall as Ru Paul.
    Since then I had never been to a local drag show until about a year ago. I went the first time to be in a LGBT setting in dress.
    It just happened that that club has drag show four nights a week. I was fascinated by their performance. I asked if I could take some photo and they said yes. The next visit I showed up with my camera. After I got home I processed the photos and did a print of each Queen. This was the start of a regular event. Every time I could go I did and took photos. I then heard that the other gay club in town had Drag queens two nights a week and Sundays was armature night. I went there and asked if I could take photos. My persona had preceded me, they welcomed me in. Soon, I even did a few Drag skits myself and was welcomed as a member of the group and am welcome person behind stage. They know I am a CDer and not gay. After talking with them, I've learned a whole lot more about them and their lives. Most are just people with a talent to do drag. I am now a good friend of the club owners of both clubs.
    Yes some are a bit cruded and rough but not real strong in that aspect in the two clubs.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Shock Value of Drag Queens is to up your game

Farrah Moan wearing garters.jpg
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 09-13-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: No need to use offensive terms

Amen, Roberta. This isn't a contest. We all do our part, according to what we can offer. I am not a crusader, but I will always stand and serve when the opportunity presents itself. Every time I interact with the ladies at the nail salon or the cosmetics studio, some of them leave with a new understanding.

Silver Member
    To allay any thoughts that I am anti-drag queen, I am not. I went to my first DQ performance in 1967 in San Francisco at the then Purple Onion. It was wonderful, and thoroughly enjoyable. I am supportive of DQs their talent and art. My earlier negative comment related ONLY to the behind the scenes, back stage stuff that is part of Ru Paul's program. Reread it, please. The mass of normals may well believe that that is how all CDs talk and act.

Its just showbusiness. Few years back drag queens realy come onto people minds and were going to performances so other see in it opportunity to make some money. This so many events with dq all over place until interested start to go down.

Sad thing is that 'normal people' now think that all guys who dress up as girls (for whatever reason) do look, act and all in same way as drag queens does.
    "Do not care what others think, do what you must" - Javik, ME3