Thread: Less testosterone less strenght?

Less testosterone less strenght?

I've been a sport guy all my life. More than speed my skill was the endurance. I've been in the highest mountains of the world, swimming and diving, triathlon, can I keep?
    Last year we went with wife twice to Black's beach, you have to go down the cliff and of course come back.
    I complained with wife about that she doesn't exercise enough and had to stop two times before get to the top.
    I was there last August and I had to stop twice again.
    Two weekends ago we went to sequoia national park and did a trail of 6 miles round going up just 2000 feet and I was completely out of shape.
    Lately I listen a radio show about a trasgender Indian girl that had problems because she was too fast at men's level because she was a transexual born male but for parents decision she got surgery to be female.
    She had a lot of problems to keep admitted to compete with women because her testosterone was male's level.
    They arrive to the conclusion that synthetic testosterone doesn't give a big advantage to women for sprints but for long distances over 400 meters so she could keep running g with women the 100 mts.
    Any lady here under t blockers has experienced less strenght?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Testosterone is responsible for building muscle mass and strength.... so medical 101...block testosterone and you loose muscle mass and strength...

I have been on Blockers and E for 3.5 years. I was already going to the gym 3 times a week following a major illness ten years ago to rebuild and maintain strength. So far I find little drop off in strength. My muscle mass is down a fraction, but not too bad. My weight training now is designed to maintain my strength and keep me flexible. I’m 62.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Aspiring Member
    I don't have T blockers but taking estrogen alone lowered my T by 85% as of last check 5 months ago so I guess I can still answer your question. I wasn't as "a sport guy" as you were but I did go gym all my life and started to run 3 years ago. I can tell for sure that low T reduced my running pace by 10% without any doubt. I simply can't run and keep up with my old pace. I did not changed routine or frequency, so I know that the only variable was reduced T in my blood. I also can't lift anywhere near as much in gym as I was but I cut on frequency going to gym. However, I still feel that lower T is the reason.

But you know what - I stopped giving myself excuses about my lower T. When I ran my first half marathon this year, I was passed many times by other women, and I said to myself that day - "what excuse do you now? They have all E and barely any T, so get your sh**t together, and keep running ".

I have only been on Spiro for a few weeks myself, so too early to say from my own personal experience. But I was renting a room to a trans woman who had been on HRT for a couple of years and had also had an orchiectomy, and she told me she had definitely seen some loss of strength. I would think that with excercise you can maintain a lot, but some loss from peak male performance can be expected.

I have been on T-blockers and estrogen for 10 months. For years I have done an almost daily cardio workout on an exercise bicycle. While distance and heart rate has not changed, my recovery grade has dropped significantly. This is a measure of how much your pulse drops after a one minute rest. This would be the equivalent of Vanessa getting out of breath climbing a cliff.

I was on Spiro for about five years and within the first year I lost maybe 20-30% of my upper body strength. I can still do my job, ie climbing poles, pulling wires, etc, but it seems as if my ladder gained weight.
    Also its gotten a lot more difficult to open jars. I'll struggle trying to open some jar's, hand it to my 23 yo son and he pops it right off. Could it be age too?

It hasn't changed my endurance or speed in soccer (indoor), but I don't play men's anymore (I quit before HRT) and stick to coed.

Vanessa, my strength has dropped for sure - some particularly heavy things are much harder to lift or move around now. but then i've not been going to the gym.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

If the question is: do people with less testosterone generally have less strength? Then the answer is yes.
    I’m amazed at the amount of change my body has been through in the last 7 years. When I started transitioning I was in the best shape, physically, that I’d ever been in. I was into rock climbing, I had Pop eye forearms! I too was concerned about how I’d handle the inevitable loss of strength.
    It was transition or bust for me though so those concerns took a backseat until one day I realized they weren’t even in the car anymore, upon further inspection I discovered that they were still in the car...
    The car I’d left behind. The car so far back now it’s just a speck in the rear view mirror.
    So many things I worried about and even some I wished for just became irrelevant.
    I know women are capable and strong and can do all the same things as a man and I encourage and support everyone to be themselves. For me, April, it’s important that my body projects outwardly who I am on the inside. A huge part of who and what I am is just being my sex and my sexuality. I rather enjoy being girly and watching guys check me out! It sounds like such a silly and even superficial thing, to someone who has had the privilege of never having to questioned their birth gender or sexuality before. the most powerful driving force in my life has been the NEED to be April. I would literally trade life itself to have the same sense of ease and comfort about my gender and sexuality as I see in the cis population! that’s more or less what I’ve done.
    Last edited by Aprilrain; 09-17-2018 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Grandy View Post
    Any lady here under t blockers has experienced less strenght?
    Not yes but, hell yes! And be careful attempting to do things that "used to be easy". Last year I hike down the Grand Canyon. I thought I was going to need to be life-flighted out.

Now I don't even attempt some things. Of course, it could be because I am 117 years old.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeri Ann View Post
    Now I don't even attempt some things. Of course, it could be because I am 117 years old.
    And you don't look to be a minute older than 108.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.