Thread: My niece, my dad, and her new expensive dress

My niece, my dad, and her new expensive dress

I have a niece who is 15 years old. She is chomping at the bits to come of age so she can drive, and more importantly, get a job so she can start earning money. She is becoming quite fashionable, which comes from her mother's side, who spends a pretty good portion of her paychecks on clothes.

She recently wanted to get a new dress, to which my sister responded by saying she would buy her a dress that was $100. This did not set well with my niece and she got mad. My dad, who is 87 years old and has been retired for 25 years and living off retirement income and his investments, has recently been worrying about having enough money to keep living. Nevertheless, he bought my niece the dress she wanted for $180.

When I inquired as to why he did this when he was so worried about money, and why did her mother not buy it instead, or force her to settle for a less expensive dress, he told me something.... "She's a girl. Girls need nice clothes. You can't get a good dress for just $100." LOL if only my dad was aware of just how much I know this fact, seeing as how I wear feminine clothes all the time! But he does not know I am a crossdresser. I'm not sure if he's right about a $100 dress being not as good as one that's more expensive. Most I've spent so far is about $80 or $90, although I'm sure at some point I will buy a dress that is in the hundreds. What do you ladies think? And yes, my niece is pretty spoiled. I can just see her 1 year from now spending every paycheck she gets on clothes.

Platinum Member
    I think he acted like a doting grandparent. Still, if I were him, I would not have overridden your sister’s decision.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    He bought it because he wanted to spoil his Granddaughter and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Its really none of anyone's business.
    If he has retirement income (pension),investment and social security income he can afford it.
    Now if the 15 year old has an attitude that $100 dollars or brand of dress isn't good enough then she needs a slight reality adjustment.

Gold Member
    Was this dress for a special event?? Like a Prom or a Wedding??
    If not, how often will she use this dress? It seems expensive for a just have to have dress.
    Will he buy me a dress? LOL
    rader

Banned Read only
    Rainbow,
    It doesn't make too much sense to me because some of my nicest most expensive dresses and my favourite have come from Oxfam Online , one of them being a £100.00 + dress was bought for £12.50 .

OK your father isn't going to do that to for your neice but maybe it's worth educating her how good she can look for a fraction of the cost , my daughter picked up pretty quick when she was a student how to fill a wardrobe and look good , as she said it's nice to buy an expensive dress but you can't wear it everyday .

Aspiring Member sarah_hillcrest's Avatar
    Yeah I agree with Tracii its what good grandparents do.

It's really funny to me growing up with just a brother and boy cousins how different my niece has it. My parents were so cheap, my clothes came from rummage sales, my grandma got me nice and stylish stuff for Christmas and birthdays. My parents weren't poor but they just didn't see the point of spending money on clothes for a boy.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I raised two Daughters all on my own so I know how girls are.
    I have 2 Grandsons and 2 Granddaughters and I keep my nose out of how my Daughters raise their kids.
    Now to be honest I don't agree with their methods all the time and I could say something but I keep my mouth shut.
    I do that out of respect for their husbands because they are very good fathers and I would never stand between them and their kids.
    If they ask for advice or help I gladly give it.

I am frugal when buying clothes, I like to get at least $20 a wear , so if I had a $100 dress I would want to know it was going to get at least five outings.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.