Thread: A Grand Day Out

A Grand Day Out

It's taken me a while (9 months) to venture out again for the second time but I've just returned from another trip into the wide world as Rachel. I never got around to documenting the previous time but, as with today, it was carefully planned over a number of weeks. This time I was away from home, which reduced the possibility of being spotted but also involved some complex logistics to take everything I needed with me without visibly packing an extra case.

There were some unknowns, particularly how private my accommodation would be and, of course, the weather. As it turned out, the small apartment was great and I could park the car right outside giving me the opportunity to dash out, fully made up, minus only wig and forms which I planned to add in a layby nearby. Originally I'd planned to drive to a nearby city and go on a big shop but having got up later than planned, and finding the weather to be atrocious, set myself the simpler goal of buying a newspaper from a large nearby supermarket. I had second thoughts as I weighed up how convincing I looked in the mirror but set off regardless. Pulling into the layby that I'd found the previous evening I found it occupied by a motorcyclist so has to find an alternative - an empty pub car park nearby. Setting off from there, fully formed as it were, glancing in the mirror, I felt ready to take on the world.

However, I found the critical moment where you get out of the car and venture into public space to be the most difficult. As I got out and put a bag in the boot (trunk) I caught a reflection of myself in the car window and knew that I would clearly be identified as a CD by anyone who looked twice, despite my best efforts. I almost aborted at that point but told myself that being seen as a CD was fine. I remembered the threads I've been reading here in recent days and decided that I could 'own it'. I did go in and buy not only a newspaper but also some 100 denier maroon tights too. (As it turned out these would be come in very nicely later in the day.) I did opt for self-checkout but hey.

On the way back, buoyed up by the successful venture into the supermarket, I decided to head for a nearby town, which I was familiar with, with the intention of visiting one or two charity shops. I ended up going into all of them and in one found a lovely BooHoo mini skirt in my size which would go perfectly with the tights I'd bought earlier in the day. I even had brief but pleasant conversation with the SA about the skirt. I headed back with a big smile on my face

As before, my initial fears turned out to be unfounded. I was certainly aware of being given a second glance by (probably most) people but had positive reactions from the people I had any direct interaction with. I found myself forgetting I was dressed. I find this hard to describe but I think there's a tendency for me to see myself as a third person, as others might see me, when anticipating going out but when actually out there suddenly realising that it's me, and it's just fine to be me, just dressed a little differently.

Apologies for the long thread and I'm going to try to update my profile picture to one of me in the skirt/tights that I bought today. Thanks for reading

Rachel

Thanks for sharing the report of a successful outing!

Glad you had a"grand" day out! Your realization..."but when suddenly realising that it"s me, and it's just fine to be me, just dressed a little differently." You have gained a lot with just that statement! Many have a problem realizing this! Good for you! Enjoy the journey! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Well done Rachel.
    it get easier the more times you go out, beside people don't look at other people
    if you present as female that is what you are taking for.
    you just got to have the b---s to do it.

Carolyn

Well done, gives me hope 💃

Rachel,
    Keep going out regularly and life will be easier, nine months is too long a gap.

I feel that after a long time not going out you seem to start all over again.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Can't believe it's almost a month since I posted this! Just wanted to say thanks for the supportive comments and I look forward to reporting further progress, hopefully not another 9 months later

Rachel,

I found the critical moment where you get out of the car and venture into public space to be the most difficult.

I know what you mean. I can still remember the first time I went shopping enfemme. Reaching for the door handle and then putting that first foot out the car. Oh the butterflies! As others have said it gets easier the more you do it.

Can I suggest for your next outing going for a makeover in the beauty dept of a department store. It will be nerve racking to walk up to an SA and ask for a foundation recommendation but once you're sat in the chair any nerves will slip away as you chat with the SA. What you gain is a surety that your makeup suits you. Having done it I now know the foundation I had been using was too light so even if I was a GG my appearance would have been wrong and other GG's notice this.

Good makeup costs so be prepared to spend a few quid (£20-£40) with blusher etc. but worth every penny.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

As many others here have stated when you go out in public one of the best things you can do is to just own the fact that you are dressed and face everyone with a bit of confidence. Glad that your experience was good.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.