Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've got a problem with you people ......

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Kelly, I work in rentals in Calif. I routinely turn down too many unrelated folks for rentals. It is against the law here to discriminate against families. But, not against unrelated adults and adult siblings. Applicants say, "But, you're discriminating. if we were a related family you'd rent to us." I reply, "Yes, I am. Because I can!"

It's funny when I'm renting a 1 bedroom with a 2 person limit and they say things like, "But my girlfriend and I will be in one bedroom and our roommate will sleep in the living room." Like I care where they sleep!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Kelly,
    I rent out my property through a letting agency , I get my net income after their outgoings but who they let it to is their problem not mine . I don't have any hassle .

It's a shame your good intention were so messed up , sadly or annoyingly you had to come to the conclusion of asking a fair rent , do your background searches and offer it to the best applicant and ignore their gender status . I'm afraid it proves to be their problem not yours at the end of the day !

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post

Am I crazy, or is our community full of bs crazy people ?
    You're not crazy, but I'd suggest that "our community", in this case, is the entire population of "renters". No, they're not all deadbeats, angling for a way to get something for nothing, but there is a non-zero number of them.

WOW! We have that in the Tri-metro area in Oregon too, we have one house and a triplex. It seems that being a landlord is being demonized. When we do rent I think we may use an agency to avoid the issues that you are running across. The sense of entitlement seems to be growing and the tight rental market is creating frustration and desperation to the point where some are just lashing out. I hope the best for you, please keep us posted. Thanks

The best thing I ever did was when I bought my first house and lived in it. Second best thing I thought was to rent it out and we move back to closer where I grew up and bought a house. The third best thing was to get rid of the rental house I had bought or our first home.
    Got a family paid rent for one month, his wife got sick so no rent for the second month( but my payments continued) third month no rent because his grandson was bitten by a rattle snake he said. ( but my payments continued) fourth month his wife was sick again and the sheriff said I couldn't have them removed, ( but my payments continued), fifth month lawyer sent them a letter cost me lawyer fee and ( my payments continued), sixth month the sheriff visited them again with a command letter from a judge and lawyer. ( my payments continued), seventh month I showed up at the house in the town which was four hours from our new house. I was mad and one way or another they were gonna pay. I show up and the front door was open, I walk in and felt mad, angry, and looking for a fight. The door handles had been removed, the toilets removed, all ceiling fans (4 of them) gone, all light fixtures, and even the sinks had been taken out with the dishwasher, clothes washer and dryer, and to make thing worse spray paint graffette with words not fit for a sailor stay painted on every wall. I called the sheriff and was told after investigation the family had moved back to Arizona. Neighbors said they left about a week ago and they didn't have my new number to call me. We spent a lot fixing the place back up and put it on the market. It sold within two months after the listing. We didn't make a penny on the property. I'll never rent anything out again and I've grown a strong dislike for free loaders. That all was thirty years ago and I can only imagine how hard it is today to have rental property.