Thread: Another new experience

Aspiring Member

Another new experience

This post could have been just like so many others.

It could have been, I went to town at lunchtime and bought a few bits. I could have continued, I parked the car in the supermarket car park at the bottom end of town, I walked up past the bus station, I wandered through Marks and Spencer, up through the shopping centre, across the front of the Borough Market, past the coffee shops, the bookies, the charity shops, the camera shop, the pubs, the banks and the building society. I walked back down the hill through the arcade, past the fishmongers, along by the pound shop, past Tescos, Boots and WH Smith. Along the way I bought a few bits and pieces and when I'd finished I retured to the car, drove home, all was well and nothing happened.

As I say, just like so many other threads, and I find them good to read, because it was through reading posts like this that I got the courage to break the door down and head out into the big wide world.

However,

This post has a slightly different ending, because this time,

Something did happen.

Something that hasn't happened before.

A new experience, something that I hadn't known before.

You see, today, here, in this dull, grey corner of the world, it's raining. It actually raining quite steadily and has been raining for some hours. All morniing in fact. Since before first light.

There are small streams running down the gullies at the edge of the pavements, there are puddles everhwere, all is grey, and despite the Christmas lights doing their best, and shining as brightly as they can, they too seem to have admitted defeat and there is an air or gloom about the place. The cloud is sitting on the tops of the hills which gives the town centre an enclosed and claustrophic feel.

And this is what was different, this was the new experience, the rain. I was out in the rain. Not warm summer rain, but bleak , northern, winter rain, the kind of rain that gives rise to the saying "It's grim oop north".

I knew when I set out on this phase of my journey through life I would have to go out in the rain which is why I bought my coat, my scarf, my gloves, my umbrealla and my ankle boots. I can wrap myslef up against the rain, I can stay warm and dry. And yet, bits of me got wet.

Yes, wet in the rain!!

And you know what?!! It's the utter ordinariness, the utter banality of that satement, the very essence of just absolute nothingness which is what makes me smile about it so very much.

Yes, that's it, that's the point of this post: I went out in the rain and some of me got a bit wet, but with appropriate clothing I was able to stay warm and dry. And you know what, for someone that spent 50 years safely tucked up, in the warm behind closed and bolted doors, being out in the rain today was an utter joy
    Last edited by Charlotte7; 12-05-2018 at 09:51 AM.

And in reality we trust!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    You know what Charlotte my fellow northern friend, your threads are so heartwarming it almost makes me wish I was hiding in the closet just so I can be inspired to get out and 'find myself' like you have done. Now I know you have recently given thanks for the inspiration that you gained from some of us from this forum, for the way it has inspired you to get to where you are now, but I can tell you now that your wonderful lucid tones recently written here today and over the last few weeks will be inspiring others around the world to do just the same. And long may it continue.

Oh and it is grim up here as well today, cold, wet and dark, and I love it too.

What a fun post to read. I felt like I was right there with you!

Charlotte,

That is a warm and cuddly story.

You paint the scene well.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Great story!!

Well done and bravo!

That’s the goal, isn’t it?
    Sheer mind numbing utter banality

We go out as we wish
    No one notices or cares
    Cows continue to give milk
    The sun still rises in the east
    Cars don’t stop in the streets
    The national guard isn’t called out
    It doesn’t get a top spot on the evening news

Fran

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    As a Mancunian I am all too familiar with rain, and I love it, dressed or drab. So I'll give you this little poem by the great Lemm Sissay.

When the rain falls they talk of Manchester

But when the triumphant rain falls,

We think of rainbows,

It’s the Mancunian way....
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Nice post, Glad you enjoyed it Charlotte.

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    It's times like this when you discover the holes in your wardrobe . I realised very soon back in Febraury that I was going to need suitable clothes ( coat , warm waterproof jacket , scarf, gloves and wellies ) to walk the dog , nip to the supermarket etc. I have to say I've enjoyed shopping for them . I did have a funny experience last week in the strong winds , I felt my wig was secure enough but it did feel so natural to have it blown about just like most of the other GGs dashing with their shopping trolleys across the car park .

I must admit it does feel unusually special just to be in the garden dressed , pruning , weeding, general tidying up , my dog is happily plodding round me , occasionally bringing me her ball to throw . Near neighbours walking passed with their dogs and giving a wave .

Gold Member
    Very interesting story, I enjoyed reading it.
    But did you know that there is this great invention; it is called an Umbrella.
    I have several, they do not cost much, and they do a great job keeping the
    rain off of you.
    Rader

Beautiful story, loved reading it as all your posts.

"Radar" there was an umbrealla present.

Lisa
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

Yes Charlotte, a very warm and heartfelt story that gives another view of what being out can mean for many of us. It is just that simple and .... beautiful. Thanks for sharing in such a perfect way.

Charlotte, Funny how something so simple can be new. Please forgive my ignorance of English terms, but what is a pound shop?
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Charlotte, your writing style makes it easy to visualize your experience. Though it may be simple, you bring it to life.
    Thanks
    Frannie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Thank goodness u weren't dressed in women's things, Charlotte! U mite have ruined something!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance of English terms, but what is a pound shop?
    Jamie, a pound shop is quite simply that, a shop that sells everything, or certainly most things, for just £1. I think your local equivalent would be a 99c store.

Platinum Member
    I can show you
    that when it rains and shines
    its just a state of mind...
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

A truly uplifting post about an otherwise gloomy day Charlotte. Very well written, thanks for sharing.

Karen

Banned Read only
    Rader,
    I've tried the umbrella trick , not so easy when dressed ! I had my handbag and a shopping bag and I was wearing wrapover skirt with a light weight raincoat , it was also blustery , I needed at least three arms ! One to hold the brolly , one to hold both bags and one to stop my skirt and coat from revealing far too much leg and beyond !! Now that is one way of attracting attention !

When I see GGs doing the same battle I have to smile and think, " Been there done that and got the looks and goose pimples !" A cold breeze and rain drops on exposed legs is a very interesting experience .
    Last edited by Teresa; 12-06-2018 at 10:04 AM.

A good experience Charlotte, today for me was similar on a very dull Bradford, West Yorkshire day. The rain held off but I was well protectd by my ladies raincoat. I had all women's clothes on (trousers) but not make up so nothing for others to notice but plenty for me to feel.
    Robbie