Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controlling SO ... why do you stay?

Controlling SO ... why do you stay?

Let me say first that I'm a survivor of an abusive relationship (not related to CD/TG) and I acknowledge that this has changed my perception and awareness of control in relationships. Be that as it may...

I feel like a lot of people here are in DADT or even actively hostile relationships, where the other person demands and exercises complete control over your CD/TG self. Why do you stay? Please help me to understand? This isn't a troll; I am genuinely hoping that you can give some insight into your circumstances.

By "control" I mean that another person has the power to dictate where, when, and how much you can express a part of yourself, usually with the implied or actual threat that they'll leave you if you don't comply. It can also be coupled with attacks on your self esteem whenever it starts to rise "you're too girly", "people will stare". That's not love, that's control. Especially if left hanging over you at all times like the sword of Damocles, a perpetual threat to keep you in line when the abuser is not around.

Why do you stay?

Are people afraid to be alone? (It's not so bad - you also get to control your own life again). Do you feel like you don't deserve happiness, or that this is as good as it gets? Those are both abuse victim classics, believe me I know.

If anyone would like to PM me instead that's fine too.
    E.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Women is Shelters are asked the same question, "Why didn't you leave". I see a lot of similarities between abused CD'ers and battered women. The spouses use the same tricks and games. The mind sets of both abused groups seem similar also.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Platinum Member
    Hi Eemz , MyWife of almost 55yrs. Knows about everything it just don't want to me me while I am dressed,

I dress every Morning for 4:hrs. and a couple Hours a couple Evenings a week.

We have a very workable DA/DT, I stay with in my boundaries and Life is Great. .oooo.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I wouldn't call my ex abusive. But, she was controlling. We argued constantly. But, over the years her constant yammering wore me down! I felt it wasn't worth arguing over every little thing and began giving in.

That was a serious error. Because she kept pushing and pushing. Wanting and getting more control. Finally, when I'd had enuff and I stood up to her, it was too late. She was so used to getting her way she thot taking the money and running was best.

And, she was rite! It took me years to get over our breakup. But, in the long run it was better for our kids and it allowed Sherry to come into her own!

Don't allow yourself to be pushed around like I did. Stand up for yourself or your marriage could die, like mine!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi

“Why do you stay?”

My wife isn’t controlling, but as far as I’ve brought up Cross dressing with her ... it’s not been received too well. So while she’s not controlling, it certainly is undesirable.

So the answer ... we don’t always get the ideal solution, compromises have to be made, give a little to get a little, etc. And in the end, I love her and she loves me (just gotta get her to see the whole me :-). So I can give on public cross dressing, and I get a partner who adds so much else to my life. And I know she’d say the same thing.

Hope that sheds a bit of light on one aspect of your question

Fran

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    My wife was in an abusive relationship and she has told me she was made to feel worthless and stupid,once that gets into your head it does the job and you are lost.It takes a helluva lot to get out from that situation,but eventually she managed to escape.

Perhaps that has a bearing on how understanding she is about my crossdressing.I promised her at the beginning of our relationship that I would never hurt her,the way she has been in the past.

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Aspiring Member
    Call me old-fashioned but I made a vow...

My wife was extremely unaccepting at first, but she has "given" me some slack. At first she told me to get rid of it all! There was never an ultimatum of either dressing or she was gone, it just had to go. After tossing everything I owned after a few months she realized I was happier when I got a chance to dress up and she sat down with me and said it was ok with her, but try to keep it under control. At first is was DADT, but it has slowly evolved to the point that I wear some clothing, but not everything around her. She told me she does not want to see me in a bra or dress. I wear woman's heels, stretch jeans, tops, pantyhose and quite a selection of undies and lingerie around her. I have a skirt that she accepts, but still no dress! She has said that I am happier now than before and she can deal with my "weirdness"! Now, once in a while she will tell me that she has had enough, so for a while I dress not as often, or when she is gone.

As far as abusive, I would say she has been for from it and very understanding. After all she married a man that wore blue jeans, work boots and flannels shirts, works on cars and rides motorcycles like an insane person, that all of a sudden, after 30 years of marriage wants to wear a bra, panties, high heels and a dress. I can understand her shock and confusion. We have stuck together through it all because other then the bump about my dressing we have a wonderful relationship.

I find it hard to believe I could find someone I would love more. We have been married for over 35 years and still hold hands and cuddle. When we go to bed we still snuggle up to each other and often wake up wrapped up together.

I guess what I am trying to say is not all DADT relationships are bad.

I could go on a loooong time on this one... and I'm divorced. And my wife wasn't controlling. She probably should have been more assertive/controlling.

We get a pretty good glimpse into people's relationships on here. In some cases I think people should leave. It's a matter of degree in most cases. Regardless of which side of the relationship you're looking from, it stands to reason that both parties should love and respect each other. Crossdressing should never be the most important aspect of any relationship or the most important aspect of anybody's total being. Not in the way their wife views them nor the way they view themselves. It could easily be turned around and as the wives why they don't leave.

Another thing is, I think we can be prone to excesses. Going too far. Becoming too obvious in our day-to-day lives. Over valuing our female presentation and the time, effort, and money we devote to it. I have a history of being undisciplined in those things. A little external control was probably in order, but I'm sure I would have unwisely rejected it. I was not/am not transitioning, and I shouldn't have acted like I was. I think there's often a lot of unexplored middle ground.

Eemz, my wife is not controlling in the least. I actually wish she had a little more gumption. However, my ex-wife was the master manipulator of all time. She spent every waking hour of every day trying to determine how she could control me, my children others around us. She did not know about my CD self and I am so glad. She would have used it so hard against me when I finally had enough.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

It's tuff to leave when you have a family.
    When my brother got devoiced it made and still makes all family get events a bummer, weddings, cookouts, Christmas gatherings, birthday parties, etc.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

My wife is somewhat controlling, but not abusive. she knows that I go out dressed, and even to a four-day conference. But, she has never seen me dressed, even in pictures , and doesn't want to. She has never seen any of my clothes, except a stray bra or panty that got left out accidently.

She is often unhappy when I go out, especially on short notice. Sometimes she pouts about it, and I may give into her wishes and not go out. Other times I go out anyhow.

Why don't I leave? It's not like I haven't thought about it. I't not like I'm getting any real satisfaction, like loving, out of the marriage.

But, ultimately I decided that I did make vows, "for better or for worse."

I've been married long enough (over 40 years) that she would at least get half of everything, maybe more because I'm still working as she is retired and has chronic medical problems. I'm willing to make some compromises to maintain my lifestyle.

But, I like my house and don't plan to move out. If she wanted to move out, she's free to go. If she wants to kick me out, then it's time to get a lawyer.

Are these reasons good enough? Maybe or maybe not. If I don't have a chance to dress for a while, it leans to the maybe not. But, she sleeps in the other room, so I can wear a bra and form to bed, as long as I'm discrete (sp). I also wear girls leggings and yoga tops to yoga class 3 times a week. That helps me keep my sanity.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I suffered thru two marriages that started off fine but the women in both cases got very controlling.
    I will not ever live with someone again.
    Its been 12 years single and it is so much better.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 09-27-2018 at 01:35 AM.

I think you have to go back to why you married in the first place and things you said then.

Love, a partner to live with, and those wedding vows, all make it a hard act to follow.

Most separate only out of desperation or betrayal by an unfaithful partner.

Dressing does come into it sometimes and is it because we have a softer nature and do not assert ourselves enough in making decisions.

It is difficult to say but maybe you should have taken a lead earlier in life.
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 09-26-2018 at 11:20 PM.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

If you are not happy take the your partner to consoling and find out what the real problem is. If your partner refuses then see a lawyer. There is no good reason to stay if you are unhappy with your situation.

I have been through three divorces and have been able to come back from each one. But as in baseball three strikes and your out. SO I now live in my own home paid for and drive a nice car paid for and am retired. I am happy!

So don't continue to take the guff of a controlling wife and unhappy marriage, do what you have to do for your sake and your sake alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran in skirts View Post
    There is no good reason to stay if you are unhappy with your situation.
    ^this is often referred to as 'cutting off your nose to spite your face', or, 'out of the frying pan, into the fire'. For a crossdresser, it's the equivalent of selling your house to buy lottery tickets; the chances of winning, or finding a mate again, are about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian Gigs View Post
    Women is Shelters are asked the same question, "Why didn't you leave". I see a lot of similarities between abused CD'ers and battered women. The spouses use the same tricks and games. The mind sets of both abused groups seem similar also.
    Fear of being alone, and for women 'past their prime', it's a valid fear, because when young, most women have plenty of options. Past 35, they start to realize that most men are starting to ignore them, favoring the younger, prettier instead.
    And of course, the fear of losing the only source of [sometimes] affection. For any person who grew up in isolation from any physical touch, any physical affection, when you find it, even when connected with being abused, you're simply afraid that you'll never find it again (and I'm not referring to sex). This was my experience throughout my teens; affection deprivation, loneliness, a sense of hopelessness. It was the worst period of my life, and I remember it well. It was horrible.
    And this is a very real fear for some of us. I got divorced 20 years ago; other than the very short term relationships and time with girls for hire, I've been alone, with no end in sight. The likelyhood of finding a CD friendly woman is slim indeed. So some of us are willing to put up with whatever is necessary, to get what we need. Fortunately, I can for the moment afford to hire women for what I need, when I can't find someone decent to date.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 09-27-2018 at 04:05 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Eemz,
    I don't know your full background but the staying or leaving situation is never that simple . If it's CD related that may raise an extra issue . Separation finalyl had to happen for me , the phone was slammed down on me becuase I told my wife her main issue wasn't my Cding but the fact she had lost control of me .

So why do we stay ? At your age I hadn't long come out to her but it was a difficult time with kids in university trying to retain a business and come to terms with TG issues , it was hard to see the wood for the trees . DADT to me is just a series of short term compromises which changed most days so I never knew where I stood from one day to the next .

It took another twenty years to finally make the decision but now I have no regrets I'm happier and more content , I dress and go out pretty much full time , not a single person is giving me a hard time and I haven't lost my family . I'm far from alone but then that never did scare me because I knew I wouldn't be .

JeanTG,
    Two people make their vows , both must honour them not just one , you can't live in a one sided relationship !
    Last edited by Teresa; 09-27-2018 at 06:05 AM.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    People stay because of the financial cost of splitting, or because they see themselves as in the wrong - they're ashamed in other words and don't feel they deserve happiness. Others stay 'because of the kids', though I think normally this is linked to shame.

Some stay because they love their wife and cling to the hope that she will change. Others stay because the good far outweighs the bad, which would be my case. I'm not going to throw away a wonderful woman just because she feels uncomfortable seeing me in a dress.

How about you Eemz? Why do you stay?
    I used to have a short attention spa

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkilovesdresses View Post
    How about you Eemz? Why do you stay?
    I left in the end, but it took me about 5 years to sort my head out afterwards. I had zero self-esteem and blamed myself 100% for everything that had happened. It was only when a therapist got me to tell my story again but with the genders reversed that it hit me that I'd been the classic battered wife and that most of the things I blamed myself for never happened, or were engineered on purpose to break down my self esteem and gain total control.

So some themes I see here are resonating with that, like I'm so lucky this person tolerates my weirdness at all, this is my only shot at happiness, they'll leave me if I don't comply, this sucks but being alone is worse. None of those things are true. You're a wonderful person, you're not weird or perverted and you deserve to be happy. And there is life out there.

sometimes people stay because often there is more to a relationship than gender expression

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eemz View Post
    You're a wonderful person, you're not weird or perverted and you deserve to be happy. And there is life out there.
    I'll drink to that

Dr. Theodore Rubin has some interesting books on relationships. One thing he talks about is "neurotic locks". This is when couples stay together in toxic relationships, neither one able to face being alone (without the other) in spite of the relationship being unhealthy for both.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Because of my children I stayed. Yes she was very abusive. No, I was not going to leave my children alone with her. Eventually she left me for someone else when I was caring for and then buried my father. She blabbed all about me, and frankly it doesn’t matter.
    My children know and both love me and see me on a regular basis. One sees their mom out of obligation, and the other does not. That is their choice. Both would rather not know her.
    Since then I made the choice not to ever be with anyone who didn’t take me the way I am. Yes, went through a few women. Would rather be alone. That works just fine for me. Learned that who I am is okay. Many women believe there is nothing wrong with them.
    Eventually I did meet someone who became my wife. Would say more, but there is housework, and shopping that needs doing. Nylons don’t last as long when one wears them everyday.
    Thank you for speaking about this.

My situation is very different, I'm not a full time dresser I can dress once a week sometimes more but that's because my wife went back to work. When she retired it was very painful because she now wants nothing to do with my dressing and is scared if we both get killed in a wreck or something else, she tells me she doesn't want the kids to find my stash of clothes and heels and forms and etc. She was 100% for me at the beginning even helping me get clothes giving her old clothes to me. Even helping me with makeup and getting pedicures together. She bought Jaylyn Christmas presents and life was good. We still had a great sexual life. We talk and walked together hand in hand. ( literally holding hands kissing a lot and always saying "I love you often". That was all before she went thru the change in a woman's life. After her time of the change she turned a 180 degree turn. No more (very little sexual activity). The dressing has become a DADT but she still worries what the kids will say the same as before. She makes it a point to tell me how weird it is to see guys wearing femme things. She points out a real buff guy that looks very manly. It's like a slam that I'm not the man she married. Now for the real kicker we are going to Church more often as she says we are getting older and need more friends that are Christian. I can honestly say when she went thru the change in life, it changed every part of our relationship. I believe in vows and I made one at a wedding ceremony many many years ago to honor her in times of good days and in times of bad days. In sickness or health, and to never forsake her so I'm going to honor that the best way I can. I love her but it's hard at times and deep inside I can be jealous that she gets to go get red fingernails and cute tops and dresses but I'm stuck I dulls vill with the clothes I have. Now back in hiding in a DADT type atmosphere.
    One other thing I've got a lot of grandsons that think I'm the king of men, and look up to me this I'm trapped two ways. I must be a model for them, live the dull life, keep a farm going, and get my thrill of dressing thru every one else on here. Thanks to all you other girls. Bottom line I'm too old to start over.

Often in these threads there's an undercurrent that there's something wrong with staying, and I think that's wrong. Abusive is crossing the line, but sometimes on here it's not abuse, it's just restriction. There's sometimes a "Go! Fly! Be free!" undercurrent on here. I would not give that advice in most cases. There's at least one member on here who I think is in an intolerable relationship, but there are plenty of others who I thing are in relationships where compromise is possible and preferable.