Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you feel it is necessary to change or not change your voice?

Platinum Member

Why do you feel it is necessary to change or not change your voice?

I just read Teresa's thread concerning an encounter with a neighbor you admonished her to NOT change her voice. I've read many comments on this site of ladies seeking voice lessons to change their voices. Just curious for those who regularly interact with others have you made any attempts to change your voice to a more feminine voice? Have you been able to accomplish your goal? I don't have any desire to alter my speech. The only time I hear myself is listening to a message left on the home answering machine. For me any attempt to alter my voice would be hopeless anyway.

Banned Read only
    As I am not trying to "pass as a female" there is no reason (for me) to "attempt" a female voice. That would be silly and I am already attired in the wrong clothes for an ol' geezer. No reason to confuse people any more than they likely already are.

I simply speak a little softer when dressed

I change my voice a little as well as my manner of speaking and the words that I use. For me, it is all a part of creating the best image of a woman that I can. It also reduces the potential for adverse reactions by others.
    Hugs, Carole

It’s just feels and sounds too affected to me so I don’t.

Since I don't leave the house dressed the only one that hears me is my wife. So there is no reason to change my voice.

I don't. It is too much work, with little benifits

I just had to respond to this one. I have been told that when I'm out my voice transforms in to a female type voice as I begin to apply my makeup. It's all a part of me getting into character. My voice naturally falls into the natural singsong method women speak in so it was all a matter of working on pitch a bit. This week I was out one afternoon and got a phone call while I was in a store. It was a call I had to take so I answered in my girl voice while stepping out of the store. The person on the other end was obviously taken back by my phone being answered by a woman and asked for my guy self by name . I told her hold on, and changed back to my male voice. This was the first time I had been misgendered while on the phone. Some thing is obviosly working on me changing my pitch.
    But to get back to the original question, just like Carole I always try to change my voice to match my presentation. It seems to prevent being noticed when interacting with others. Z

I don't really try to change. But me friend told me that when we were out, I did soften my voice a bit and lowered the volume a bit.

Banned Read only
    Zoey,
    That is the trap I don't want to fall into . Yes I do talk a great deal, I'm sure some people ask , " Does Teresa ever come up for air ? "

I have stood in front of a full lecture theatre to give talk on my experiences with the NHS along with two others . In the future I hope to run my own painting group as Teresa , I will need to talk clearly so changing my voice is possibly a non starter . The important point is it doesn't bother me , there are so many tells on not passing , I can't live that impossible dream , I'm so comfortable as I am .

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have met hundreds of dressers around the country. Yet, the number of them that were obviously changing their voices I can count on the fingers of one hand!

Before my first SCC convention, I practiced voice modification until I sounded pretty good! Then, when I met my first dressers I was greeted with booming male voices! As I have been ever since. So, to be honest? I'm afraid to sound "different", if I modify my natural speech!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've watched a few you tube videos of crossdressing 'tips and techniques' & it seems like most of the female voice presentations sound pretty affected. Just my opinion.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I've never tried to change my voice, even when doing stand-up en fem.
    I might, however, for a certain joke or skit.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Aspiring Member
    Even though I do not identify as a woman I change my voice when I am out dressed except with people who know the male version. I have a very distinctive male voice and accent so I do not use it when out dressed. My Susan voice is a bit higher and I use a different accent.

I havent actually gone anywhere where I have needed to change my voice, but like Susan I have a very distinctive voice and accent and would be known practically anywhere local.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Pretty sure after seeing me,there isn't going to be much of a surprise to them if I dont have a feminine voice, so I dont really make much of an effort to do much of anything with it,bar talking a little quieter and perhaps a little posher

In these parts you'll find many a genetic female that talks with a deep raspy voice

Sophie
    Last edited by t-girlxsophie; 09-29-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Platinum Member
    Hi Stephanie , That is part of the Feminine Illusion >Orchid. ..oo..
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t-girlxsophie View Post
    In these parts you'll find many a genetic female that talks with a deep raspy voice

Sophie
    I hope all are not cigarette smokers. I've heard plenty of raspy voices coming from cigarette smokers. Maybe, it is a simple as hanging a cigarette from one's lips.

Oh, I know it is part of the illusion, but, sometimes it may torpedo the illusion if a cross dresser otherwise may be passable. My one year old plus grandson communicates some what effectively on some issues with American Sign Language. Perhaps, that is a way around a raspy male voice.

My voice with a naturally high pitch definitely needs changing. I've made attempts on my own from time to time to try changing it. I really need a voice coach.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Aspiring Member
    I do try to be a bit more expressive as a lady, but I don't really "change" my voice.
    I want to feel and present as natural as possible; artificially changing my voice would be self defeating. I don't expect to fool anyone about the truth of my nature. I find I get respect by "owning it" and just being as I am.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

I do make an attempt and usually speak more softly, it sorta works.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My voice may "Naturally" change when I become Feminine? my actions do and my wording also does!

I won't intentionally change my voice though as I would prefer to let it evolve with me.

Plus, I'd lose too much in translation, Emotional translation too!
    Stacy
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

While my voice is very deep (loud?) it is not my most pronounced male feature. If I ever decide to go out dressed, it will be the last thing I worry about.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I've tried to mess around a bit with my voice and I guess I've gotten it to a point I'm comfortable with. Not going to say it's passable but it's not a super deep male voice. I think those changes have carried over to my entire life. Regardless I don't really think about it much these days or make any concentrated effort to push it further to the feminine side. I wouldn't mind but I feel that when I'm out which is quite often it's not really an issue one way or another although when I see other girls out and they have the super deep voice it just doesn't feel right especially if they have a great presentation.

Just like spending lots of time trying to change all my other body language, changing my voice will accomplish nothing. No one would ever mistake me for a female visually. And I'm not planning on transitioning, so I have no reason to try to emulate all the feminine things about a woman. Out of curiosity, I did watch some youtube videos by someone who did accomplish it, and was amazed at her skills. But she transitioned, and her youtube videos disappeared, so I guess she's now in stealth mode, living out her life somewhere as the woman she always wanted to be. Lucky her.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.