Thread: OH! Would you like to rephrase that !

Banned Read only

OH! Would you like to rephrase that !

I hope this will make you all smile and I aplogise for it being one of my dizzy moments !!

I attended my blood donation session yesterday dressed for the second time , I checked in and took my seat in the waiting room . I started to chat to the lady waiting on my right hand side , she said she hoped she got on better this time than she did the last session as she took so long . In the very early days maybe going back to my early thirties they use to give you a rubber tube to squeeze to speed things up , so without thinking I said, " I've brought the rubber thing you can squeeze in my handbag " . She gulped and then spluttered , " Oh , would you like to rephrase that !" The guy on my left was trying to read a magazine but was also spluttering a little . So I turned to him and said , " You remember those rubber thingys ? He replied while trying not to laugh , " What you keep in your handbag is your business , don't drag me into it !!" I could see the lady in front of me trying not to laugh ! I did offer an explanation .

The screening nurse remembered me from last time , again I was border line on the minimum limit for a male donor so she went to inquire if she should could use the female limit which is lower . She also suggested I do get my blood checked to see what my hormone levels are for future reference . According to her it was my 70th pint , it doesn't mean much to me but to someone else it may have kept them alive so I'll keep donating as long as I can .

Thanks for donating blood. Think of all the people you have helped.

Unfortunately I can not donate blood or be an organ donor due to being stationed in certain areas while in the military.

Dizzy blondes they're everywhere!!! joking. A very funny time for you to say the least and it brought humour to the others also it shows we have humour as well.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Rubber thingy? Is it like a rubber ball or a bulb on a blood pressure cuff? Rubber thingy? Lol hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Rubbers to us brits mean a very different thing! as I remember when I used to give blood it was a rubber cylindrical thing which one squeezed repeatedly to help the blood flow.

Where I donate they still give you a rubber ball to squeeze as they insert the needle. The last time I was talked into giving the platelets of blood. It just so happened that the final four of basketball was on the TV set at the end of the room. I'd never did the platelets before so he handed me the ball and I squeezed as he inserted the needle. He started the machine to gather the platelets. Then he walked away to the end of the room and started watching the game with two other nurses who had patients on their tables. It was in the last ten minutes of the game. He did not return until after the game was over and I was still squeezing the rubber ball. He said oh no you were not suppose to squeeze the ball after he inserted the needle because you can blow out a vein. I said you never told me that. He apologized but then walked back down to watch the replays of the game. He came back in about ten minutes. Said I was thru and could leave. Never offered for me to set and eat a cookie or drink that orange juice that they have to make sure you are not going to pass out or light headed.
    Recently they called to remind me it was time to donate again I simply said yep but never again at your clinic. I explained what happened and has even asked my own doctor about what had happened and he told me not to donate anymore. Bad experience so I'm thru donating. I have the next to the most rarest type and it is in demand but the inefficiency that day turned me off donating.

Sorry Teresa, my mind is in the gutter this morning,I have to do some roof repair and I'm kind of in my male mode. I guess that is what the others were thinking it was also. Did make me chuckle, and forget the mental image it conjured up. I can always count on you to give me a glimpse into a blokes or is it birds life?
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I read somewhere that excessive squeezing of the rubber thingy can increase potassium levels in the blood. Good thing you only donated the female limit.

Banned Read only
    Jaylyn,
    I did the platelette donation in a mobile unit , it took 90 minutes , I don't know if it was the same system but ours did it in cycles so you could only squeeze for so long until fluids were returned to the body , there was no tea and biscuits at the end of the session , we were just pushed out the door and left to stagger home . I must admit it was weird experience as they pump an anti coagulant in the recycle part which makes your lips feel like they've injected Botox into them .

I also did a double donation on the same machine , the nurses were under training and were a little unsure of the procedure . I was still coupled up when they started pressing all the buttons , the supervisor came to check them out and suggested they disconnect the patient before pressing anymore buttons .

Bobbi ,
    Correct , I think they were withdrawn on hygiene grounds , they also don't take lightly to squeezing a nurse instead !!

Lisa,
    It does beg the question where the lady's mind was to latch on so quickly , she was certainly ahead of me .

Tracy ,
    I did pass the male test on a small electronic sampler , it must be the haemoglobin test in PPM, the male level is 135 and the female 125 , both genders donate the same quantity .
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-12-2018 at 10:35 AM.

I have donated blood for many years but almost a year ago I had Sepsis and the blood bank must have been notified somehow as they have not called me once this year. Crissy

I can open my mouth wide and use a local vernacular only to have it interpreted differently by others.In the eastern US people from the west coast are often considered foreigners and word usage can be quite different.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Teresa, I have to tank you for this thread. I think it was maybe back in 2005 the blood bank did not allow me to donate because my blood pressure was too high. Bottom number at the time was 92. I think the cut off was 90. Anyway, your post sent me off on an Internet search to see what medications do prevent a person from donating. None of my medications are on the list. I was over 100 pints back then, so I think I'll check out the blood bank again.

As fair as your little "rubber thing" that made me chuckle. The last time I donated the blood bank was using a squishable ball. Then again, if you brought your own balls that may cause a stir; "Let me get one of my balls out!"

PS: The blood bank here offers all sorts of liquids (no ale) and cookies, and, will not let one leave without sitting for at least ten minutes.

Question: Does everyone in the UK first put the milk in a tea cup, then add the tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I can open my mouth wide and use a local vernacular only to have it interpreted differently by others.In the eastern US people from the west coast are often considered foreigners and word usage can be quite different.
    Beverly, We would never consider you a foreigner. Crissy

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Question: Does everyone in the UK first put the milk in a tea cup, then add the tea?
    The milk is put in first because when tea was first popular, C18th, it was very expensive and had to be kept under lock and key, anyway, it was served in bone china cups whcih can be very thin. The milk was put in first so that the tea was instantly cooled when it was poured and so reduced the chance of the cup cracking.

These days, many of us brew tea in a mug with a teabag, in this case you wouldn't put the milk in first. But when pouring from a pot, probably most times I would be milk first.

[Sorry teresa, not trying to hijack your thread but Stephanie did ask a question. Anyway, back to blood doners..."A pint! That's very nearly an armful!"]

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If u had the "rubber thingy" in your purse, why didn't u show them what u meant!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Sherry ,
    My rubber items remain private , naturally I was only joking !

Charlotte,
    I didn't want to answer that it may only start a storm in a tea cup ! I could have done with one after 90 minutes . I can only start to imagine what kidney sufferers must go through when they spend hours attached to machines .

Stephanie ,
    Well done 100 pints is great , I would have done far more but I often forgot to go , nowdays we book appointments though the blood transfusion unit .

Just to add a footnote , I've now changed my name so they no longer call out my full male name , she did ask about my title but they don't use Mr/Mrs/Miss etc .. So now I will be Terry/Terri which won't raise as many eyebrows when I next attend in a skirt .

Silver Member
    Jaylyn, PLEASE don't stop donating! Your blood type is sorely needed, I'm sure. Just think that your next donation could possibly help save the life of a child. Bless you and all donors!

Oh Teresa, you've done it again!! (Rephrased from Mr Magoo)

I really enjoyed reading that this afternoon. It has me laughing in my oat meal.

As for the tea question milk and sugar first then the tea from a proper tea pot. Poured through a strainer to catch the tea leaves.

Fran

Teresa, next time you go and call out to everybody there have you got your rubber thingy's with you and wait to see what happens! Life as a dresser can be fun!

I always knew I was missing something in my purse. Of course, it was the rubber thingy.