Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We're here, but are we “Queer”...

Language changes with time and my sense is queer has evolved from a a negative epithet for homosexual to a non judgemental term for homosexual. Like many folks here, I am not homosexual but am a cross dresser, which I use synonomously with tranvestite, meaning I am a man who wears otherwise female clothing. But, hey, call me a sissy or poufty, or whatever, I’m feeling great in my panties right now.

Id we are here.... we are not queer!

According to the definition of the term:

Queer is an umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities who are not heterosexual or cisgender. Originally meaning "strange" or "peculiar", queer came to be used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires or relationships in the late 19th century.

If we are here we are definitely not a sexual and gender minority! If we are here most are claim to be heterosexual or cisgender! If we are here we are not "strange" or "peculiar" because we are mostly all the same.

I would say, if we are here we are not queer! I we are here we are normal at least for here!
    I come in colors ev'rywhere; I comb my hair; I.m like a rainbow; Coming, colors in the air; Oh, everywhere; I come in colors!

Jaymie,
    How very true are your words! Queer is a horrible word to both use against our community or to refer to it as queer. The very word should be banned when when attached to the LGBT community,
    We are not queer and let nobody say we are!!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

the word is a lot like the word "retarded", and should be scrapped when talking about people. there are more accurate words with clearer definition. Queer, to me, means something unexplained, like an experiment with an unexpected outcome, or a apple tree with strangely shaped fruit.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

NO, I do not care for it at all. Pick another one.

No, that is not a word I would want anyone to use to describe me. To me it is another word for gay, and I am not gay.

- Suzie

I dislike ‘queer’ being used to describe anyone. For me, it is a pejorative term when used to reference a sexual or non-sexual person or event.

Michelle

Aspiring Member
    The word queer already has it's old original meanings and its more modern reclaimed usage. It's not a word that need bother us here.

I'm not a fan of the term, though I admit some may see my hobby as queer.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Born in the early 50's and that word is up there with the N word! IMHO Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I see the word queer to be more a derogatory word, so choose not to use it!

Then there is the Q for queer in the LGBTIQA+ umbrella which covers the most of us! and I'm OK with that!

Then I can say that I'm a little queer at times, but would not want to be called queer?

"If the word is of no benefit to us, best we don't use it!"
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I'm in the 'no thanks' camp. I don't think it would do our community any favors.

We can say we are feeling queer as in not feeling well, the Q in LGBTQ as I understand it means everybody else but outside of proper uses (feeling unwell, the car is running a bit queer and such like) I think the word Queer when aimed at our community as such is very derogatory.

Remember that each of us is 100% unique - just like everybody else!

Oh why oh why are we so obsessed with labeling ourselves when everyone else is so anxious and willing to do it for us?????
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by Bea_ View Post
    I'm in the 'no thanks' camp. I don't think it would do our community any favors.
    ^this. It will just make it harder to convince anyone that we're not all homosexuals. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we have a hard enough time finding women for dates as it is; being automatically assumed of homosexuality isn't going to help.
    Most of the boomer generation was exposed to the word being used to define homosexuals through the sixties and seventies. Then their kids got exposed to that use as well. Today, most adult straight people will automatically assume that you are gay if you tell them that you are queer; adding the word 'gender' before it makes no difference. Of course, you can educate them, but you'll have to do that virtually every time you use the word to describe yourself. Like other front line warriors, that's fine if you want to do it. I don't.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I like it. In the modern day, queer is an identifier of uniqueness. I am queer. And I m proud to be. It’s similar to the word gay. It was once an extremely negative word, but simply describes a segment of society today. We have reclaimed these words! I understand that people remember this word a negative, but it’s not the same anymore. The meaning has changed. It’s our battle cry now!!! We are queer! And here we are!!

If that woks for you, that is more than OK. However, for the majority of members here, including some around your age, it is still considered a negative word as you can see above. I do get the connection of reclaiming a once negative word. However, for this word I am not for it.

I do get that, but don’t you think that we as a community need to move past that? Queer is part of the current lexicon. Let’s be part of that! Let’s catch up! It’s good for us all!

Your welcome from all who were harassed by police, searched on the street against a wall or bent over a car while that word was used over and over again even though you were not, as John Q Public watched and then went on their merry way, after all it was only a queer, they deserve it if they are going to be in public. Your from Philly, remember Rizzo's raiders? I do. I know lets own the other derogatory words for the Italians, Irish,Orientals,Latinos etc...if you do not learn from the past you are doomed to repeat it, the light at the end of the tunnel is all us elders will be dead one day and we can't be offended by words. Once again your welcome.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Wow, strong reactions. Thank you for your replies. You're giving me a lot to think about.

It's also gratifying to see an interest in language. It is not always apparent in this Forum.
    Last edited by Patience; 10-09-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbi46 View Post
    the Q in LGBTQ as I understand it means everybody else but outside of proper uses
    H-m-m-m I thought that particular Q meant "Questioning." Have I been wrong all this time?

Patti I don't agree that Queer is part of the lexicon as you say, We are not QUEER, queer is an old word yes but over the years it has been used in a derogatory way towards our community as a whole and generally was atributed to the homosexual part of our community. i can give you an example of why this word is not used any more when telling one of my friends that I am a CD he said to me "Are you gay"? not are you "Queer"? so there was someone totally on the outside of our community totally not knowing of how we tick but using the word gay not the word queer!
    For one I hate the word queer and how it sometimes is used to describe us.
    We are as normal as the next person to quote a well used expression "We are wired differently"
    Sara Lin
    You may well be right and I may be well off beam, I understood it to mean everybody else who did not fall into the solely lesbian/gay/bisexual/transexual spectrum.
    If I am totally wrong with my assumption then I would welcome be corrected on the true meaning of Q so I do not get it wrong next time.