Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep it short

Keep it short

So a post, like this one, starts. It gets read, someone replies, then someone else and so on. So if the post tickles your interest such that you reply, how many of the previous replies will you read before entering your own?

Here's my point. While it's good that folks reply, once a post is in to say it's second page of responses, does anyone bother to read all that has gone before prior to adding their own 2 d's worth? Does adding yours become akin to scribbling it on a wall somewhere. Perhaps the only persons who'll read it are the next poster and the postie. Add to this that so many posts go off track diverting in all sorts of directions, once that happens is it time to draw the line and start afresh?

In truth it doesn't really matter for the bulk of what's posted. They're not of earth shattering importance, interesting and informative perhaps but not needing deep thought. Once in a while however someone posts a question of a nature that requires real consideration. If folks aren't going to read all the replies then firstly we get repetition but more importantly the nuances of the discussion are lost. Things that may have been written that could sway your thinking go unread and that seems to devalue the point of the post.

So, in all honesty, how much of a post do you read? Is there a case for limiting replies if what's happening is we're guilty of little more than spouting off our own opinions in isolation?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Reality Check
    I will usually read all the replies before adding my thoughts. The exception would be if I'm replying to one of the replies because it's easier to reply immediately than to read all the rest and then go back to the one I wanted to reply to.

You are correct in saying that most of what's posted doesn't really matter. None of it will be life changing. It's mostly just "bar talk" but on the Internet.
    Krisi

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Well for me I never reply without reading all previous replies, to do so would be a nonsense. I see what you are saying Helen but to limit replies is contrary to the whole point of a discussion forum which only exists for discussion and the replies are the discussion. Now I hope you've all read this before replying to Helens thread?

I rarely read other peoples replies, as those replies come from other persons minds. I reply to initial post mainly, but will respond if I do read something which stimulates my mind!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I tend to read the initial post, quickly skim read or ignore the replies from members that seem to post often (tend to repeat theirselves), and fully read the replies from those that tend to not post as often. I would withhold from replying if there is already a similar opinion expressed or if there are a significant amount of replies already (it will just get lost).
    The problem with limiting the replies to a thread is that the folks that tend to be on the forum frequently (sometimes it seems like they are on 24/7) and have a say on everything would dominate the limit not letting other folks express their opinions.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I read every reply, with the occasional exception, like they wrote a novel in reply. I don't respond to many posts, just the ones that tend to grab my interest. I agree with Princess Chantal, if you restrict the number of replies, I think you would hurt the sense and purpose of why many of us come to this site. Reading to learn, and sharing to be a part of the experience.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Aspiring Member
    Helen an interesting thought. I don't think that there are too many threads on here which are of great import and most can be scanned and then ignored, some though generate large number of replies because they are of common interest to many here, panties and wanting to have sex with men seem to be common themes that fall into this category. Then, sometimes there is a post where someone may have made a good point, be in a bad place or be asking for specific advice. These may generate a number of replies as there are a large number of people here who have much experience that they can share. Then, not as frequently as I would like, we get a super post, something that generates a genuine debate and which may get a number of replies, and many of these replies may be quite long. In these cases in particular I think that it is important to read all the replies as a lot of ground may be covered, and yes, that can take a bit of time, but scanning the site, two or three times a day can lessen the effort over doing so in a single sitting. If I decide that I'm going to reply to a post I do read the whole thread and (honestly) I do try to not repeat obvious things, unless, it seems to be a point which benefits support or reinforcement. I don't think that limiting threads in some way would help as everyone who finds themselves here has an experience or an opinion which is valid to them.

Banned Read only
    I read the original post and might skim the replies. Frankly I don't care if someone already said what I would say because if the OP was asking for an opinion or advice they are more likely to consider and follow it when we all tell them the same thing..
    Last edited by Robertacd; 10-10-2018 at 11:39 AM.

As I did with this post, I tend to read all responses. I don't pick up a book and begin reading mid chapter and expect to have all of the information, so I pretty much do the same here. There may be some repetition but I would rather be sure I haven't missed anything of interest.

it totally depends upon the content, some I read all of the responses, others I will scan a few comments. If I feel like adding my thoughts to a topic, I usually try to read all the others so as to not repeat something someone else has said.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Hi Helen

In the good old days of the Internet
    It’s called “AOL!”
    Someone says something
    9,638,720 people, most from AOL, say “me too”
    Or “your(sic) stooopid”
    Or the same thing as all the other AOL! Posts

Fran (who’solder than you think:-)

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Just as I have done with this post, I will read the OP, all the shorter replies and skim through the longer ones. I don't think limiting the number of replies is the way to go.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Hellen, I usually reply then read the other posts.

I like to read as many replies as I can but if a post goes on forever I tend to read only part of it. I do always read the OP.
    Crissy

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I read all the posts except the long windy ones where people tend repeat their point several times just wording it differently with each sentence.
    I have always wondered why people do that? Do they think we didn't get the point the first time?

Banned Read only
    It there are not too many replies I'll read them all. Otherwise, if the thread is seeking a comment of a general nature, then no. Asking whether I prefer stockings or pantyhose is not a thread drawing me into reading all the responses. There have been threads that do draw me in and I'll read each response. Those threads seem to be about guidance and unique questions and answers. Sometimes the discussion ends up with different takes on an issue. Those threads a little more thought and response.

I often read the original post and if there are only a couple of others I will rrad them too.

Sometimes I do not understand what the OP is on about. :-)

THEN I read more replies to see what they ascertained from the question.

Then I may reply having understood? what it is about.

When I post late and there are a myriad of replies I often reply without reading others and later I will come back to ensure I have not duplicated what others have said.

I might add this is often the case and then I will edit what I have said or add something else to a point made by a previous poster.

I do avoid making critical comment or getting involved in senseless arguments.

"I think all men should be allowed to wear skirts if women can wear trousers."

Yep for sure that one raises comments all the time.

Someone is bound to grab that statement and turn it into an argument contrary to the OP's original question.

What did you say Helen?

Oh!

"Keep it short."

Bye for now. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Personally I generally only open threads that have one page and fewer replies. Occasionally a subject will peak my interest and I'll check it out starting with the original post then generally skim the longer posts and read the shorter ones.

I tend to read the OP in depth then the other posts to see if there is information to be had from there. Sometimes how well I read depends on the topic. If I feel "qualified" to comment I will.

I try to read all the posts first, to see if I have anything worthwhile to add. But sometimes that just might be, to add my own experience or to acknowledge that I feel the same way as others, in order to let the OP know what percentage of us here feel that way, or do something. An example would be a thread that asks if we wear, oh, schoolgirl outfits, and why. Even if others have responded, I will add in that I do, and why. Another would be how outfits affect how I feel, if something is a turn on or not, because very, very little of my crossdressing ever seems to coincide with any sexual desire for me. I occasionally come back to read a thread that I've posted in if I think there's a reason to.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    I would not dream of answering a post without reading all the responses and often come back to them to see what else has been said. I only open about 15% of topics - I tend to ignore ones about panties and stockings and stuff about transition or attracting men. Length is fine with me as long as it is interesting. I think limiting posts on a Forum would defeat the object.

Well for what it is worth here is my .02 worth of ideas.

I will read the OP and if there are not over 20 replies read all of them. If there are more than 20 I will skim over most of them. When I see there are many pages of replies I usually just read the OP and the last 10 or so replies. If I feel like I can contribute to the thread I will post a reply.

As for making limits, no way!

Fran

If the post is well-written (good grammar, paragraphs, punctuation, etc.) about an interesting topic I will probably read the entire post. If I find the post hard to read or follow I will skip it.
    Hugs, Carole

I'm a masochist. I almost always read every word of the OP and every reply to it. However, unless there is something that grabs my interest I don't join in. Sometimes I might add a daft comment as it feels like the right thing at the time. Usually that's after a bit of thread creep so I feel relatively blameless...

Having said all that, I don't read every OP. Some just don't sound interesting to me.
    **-* Kath *-**
    Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name, take it, make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.
    ― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

If I feel I have something to say, I post it. I don't care how far back it is. If the topic is something I feel I already understand well, I sometimes skip reading a lot of the other posts. If it's something I really care about, I'll read all the posts, no matter how many there are, whether I post a reply or not. For most threads, I read the original post and a few of the replies and then go on to the next thread without posting anything.