Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep it short

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I do everyone the courtesy of reading them as I do when replying to someone else , there's not much point keep repeating what others have said .

I do wish more people would take the trouble to read other replies , there are some useful addons and different ideas , also I wish people posting a thread would respond to the replies . Some toss a thread in and that's it post and forget so the replies go nowhere .

Platinum Member
    Hi Helen , I always start with the OP and read all the way to the end to find out how may are thinking like me.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Orchid ..++..
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 10-10-2018 at 05:00 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Depends on the subject. A good number of the threads posted here don't interest me enough to keep my attention. Then there are those posts and replies that turn into multi page essays. Unless it's an awesome topic, I simply don't have the time, or recently, the mental fortitude, to read through every word. That's just the way it is.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    To be honest, Helen? When I read your post was about posting?
    Not only did I skip by all the other posts? I didn't finish your OP!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Im not thick by any means,but some posts that are a little wordy and long don't hold my attention so I tend to scan quickly,generally I read most replies to threads that are interesting to me,If I feel like joining in I go for it,I'm not the greatest at putting thoughts down and probably in a lot of cases have folk thinking WTF but I always reply with honesty

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I try to read all posts and replies, and I only chime in when I think I can make a useful contribution to the subject. (You won't see me responding to many "relationship" topics because I have little experience in that area.) Limiting replies is a bad idea on any electronic forum - it drives users away, sooner or later.

- Diane

Yes.....

I suppose a lot has to do, if your retired....I have X minutes available in a day and would like nothing more than read more and opine.
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ... also I wish people posting a thread would respond to the replies . Some toss a thread in and that's it post and forget so the replies go nowhere .
    Yes, Teresa, good point, but it's a difficult balance to make. Threads are like children, your give birth to them, you nurture them until they are ready, and then you have to launch them into the world, to exist on their own. Now, you hope that in their development you've covered all the angles and that they can sink or swim as you hope, but that's not always the case. Sometimes, they can benefit from a word to the wise. But this is where the balance needs to be struck. As people who generate posts, as people who respond to posts we have to be aware that this is a forum where all voices have equal merit and equal right to be heard. We don't want to be seen as responding to every twist and turn on a thread, we need to allow others room to opine. Also, it can sometimes be interesting to see a thread veer away from the original intention as that way new insight and wisdom can be gained. But, unlike children who we hope will long outlive us, threads and posts only have a limited lifetime, as there comes a point where they sink, at an ever increasing rate, until they disappear into the nether regions of pages 2 and beyond.

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    I'm probably as guilty as many others but digging back in the archives can be very useful and interesting sometimes .

I like others here read the the orginal post and try (but not always) to read al the replies from others. Sometimes my reading is skimming sometimes I read in detail. I sometimes struggle to read and understand the orginal post (Some are almost cryptic) I then become amazed at the replies to a statement or question that, for me, is not clear.

I do agree that the topic often defines the level of detail of my review. All that said I come here frequently specifically to hear what others think and experience. For me that's what makes this forum great. I enjoy hearing different opinions and learning from the experience of others.

I get to listen to myself everyday and frankly I am not sure that I understand everything I know.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

I am with Charlotte and many others in this thread. I find many subjects contain fascinating insights into the range of views of the original subject. It is not only informative but educational. I view the forum as not just a place to present your views but more like a discussion and interchange of views. Posts that present thought provoking subjects get my most interest and I always read all the posts even if there are statements of agreement with others. In my view, all information is good and important. I would really be upset if there was a limitation imposed as that tends to limit the learning value of the forum which, to me, is the most important aspect. This forum is one of only a few where serious and important and thoughtful discussions actually occur. Limitation to me would be sort of semi-censorship.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri Ray View Post
    I like others here read the the orginal post and try (but not always) to read al the replies from others. Sometimes my reading is skimming sometimes I read in detail
    Ditto. I generally pay more attention to the posts in a thread I am going to reply to.

I definitely read the OP. Then, I read as many of the responses as I can. I must admit that on some longer threads I will start skimming the responses.

Silver Member
    Ditto to what Kelli said. Too many are just one or two word or run-on forever. I enjoy stories, advice, how-tos, did you knows, offerings and I almost daily follow up on additional comments to same. When I reply to OPs or offer my own, I do try to do so in a positive way that offers information that may be of value (or humorous) to someone, even lurkers (I was one for years but valued info that would help me).

I will read the OP first and then all the replies up to 3 pages and then respond if I feel I have something that should be said! I do not respond nor read what I do not find interesting!(although most things interest me in some way!) I try to be as helpful as possible and as honest! No limits as it will cut back on info someone will need sometime! IMHO Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

started to say no answer, post as gone to long, but to be serious, if the subject is important to some one, I read to the end, if its light, like what kind of panties do you like, if I answer at all, I won't read 50 post to get there.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Okay I think I read all the replies in this post. I don't think limiting replies is a good idea, but I do like getting the last word in. I go back to my posts and often I do get the last word, either my replies are so profound or so stupid no more replies are required.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I read the first few lines of the OP and decide if it interests me. If interested I'll finish the OP, then usually read most of the replies. If others have stated what I think, I don't feel the need to add to that, nor do I make "me too" replies, (therefore I don't post very often).

What I rarely read are the ones that are hard work to read. The ones not punctuated, nor broken up into logical sentences and/or logical paragraphs. I have to be 'on fire' for the topic to read those.

If I decide to reply to a thread, I read the OP and at least skim all the other replies (read all of short replies and skim parts of verbose replies). For a thread I am really interested in I will read everything.

Similarly, I feel a compulsion to reply to everyone who replies to a thread I start, and takes control if my reply will actually add further value.

Well, having read all the replies, honest, I think it's time for me to respond. In truth limiting replies would if for no other reason just place more of a burden on the already busy mods so that's a non starter. I'm glad that the general consensus is that folks take the time and trouble to read what others have written.

This is a diverse forum, you can't expect everyone to agree with your point of view so as a postee you're likely to get praise and flak in equal measures.

What I would say is, if you've read the OP and jumped to here then you've missed out on some wise words.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

OP to the end. That’s why I am on this Forum. Love this place!!!
    Lace and Smiles!
    Lisa

I always read the OP ad then reply straight away but if I feel that it is an interesting post, can I add anything of value? sometimes the answer is no and then I will read further replies to maybe get a better handle on the op then there might come a time when a thread is added that opens the whole thing up to a greater understanding then I will put thoughts/advice in.
    If it is a complex post then I read everything to see if I can glean any knowledge from which to improve myself and thus make me a more useful contributor to this forum.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman