Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Hair Removal

Hi Kym,
    Actually, Belle had been sick so Irina and her girls did me. Lovely skilled people, I just think you can't just pound on the skin to that degree and not expect some negative results. By the time I had acquiesced to going this route I had about 120 hours of doing this conventionally ad frankly, it was driving me insane and I was on my last good nerve. I wasn't managing the pain well at all and tbh, I felt like it would have taken me 4 or 500 hours to complete. Unacceptable, so this was my alternative. I realized this was pretty brutal after my first run. My head literally blew up like a pumpkin and I am in no way exaggerating that it took 3 weeks to recover. Ultimately, if you live in a big market like Chicago, I think you're best bet is an hour or two every week till you beat it into submission. But if you live in a fly over as I did, logistics and quality of technicians really leave you frustrated and with little recourse. I think dermabrasion, micro-needling and laser could fix my issues and I may choose to do that at some point, or not. I've yet to decide. I'm pretty fried on any procedures right now as I've had SRS, FFS, Electro, a follow up face lift and a BA all in less than 30 months. I have lost a day of my life under general anesthesia. I am pleased but totally exhausted if you know what I mean. So I want to reiterate that the full clearing option, though it be super difficult is still an option for some and I also want to say they were lovely conscientious people. But all things being equal, given the right circumstance, patience, a good tech and a slow and steady plan is probably the safest way with the most satisfactory result. And as I alluded to in my early post, if you're young with that dewey soft skin and want to keep it, not only is it your only option, you should be very cautious with any tech. because it is my opinion, many in the field of Electrolysis are clueless hacks that have no idea what they're doing and they WILL damage you permanently. Find someone you like and then ask for clients that you can speak with regarding their individual results. If you're unable to get them to allow you to speak to customers for endorsement? then run, don't walk away. You will thank yourself in the end.
    Last edited by jentay1367; 11-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Wow! Jentay, I like your post for open and sincere, in especial the last advice on asking for references...
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Hi Jentay, Yeah Belle did my left side and Irina did the right. They were both very nice. Irina's side had better results.
    I looked like I was in a car accident for weeks. I do think that the reviews are overstated and the negative after effects are understated. Also afterward Belle was very dismissive about the condition of my face.

Enough of that, sorry, anyway I think you and I make a great point. Mass clearing is just too much on the skin at one time. We both had bad results.

With electro stick with one hour appointments.

BTW, Belle passed away a few days ago at age 60 here in her downstate home town of Champaign. She had been splitting her work between Dr. Z's and an office here for a few years. The obituary in the local paper was very brief and I know no details. It's a loss because it leaves our community without any truly competent electrologists (again).

- Diane

Oh my god, that's the worst kind of news. She was sweet and funny and she made me laugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. But thank you, Diane, I appreciate your telling us. She's safe on the other side now, I suppose. Just terrible news, heartbreaking.

I found this: )-:

https://www.renner-wikoffchapel.com/notices/Belle-Brine
    Last edited by jentay1367; 11-15-2018 at 02:15 AM.

Laser is working well for me....but it's a long process.... Got to be patient Melissa. I've been doing it for 1 1/2 year and despite the great progress I'm still not there yet....

Aspiring Member
    I just hit 1 year of 1hr/week facial electrolysis (just above 50 hours). I am at the point, where can not shave above the jaw line for several weeks, and we started on my neck about 5-6 hours ago, so I expect at least 50 more hours of similar appointments. I had average density beard. Haven't had any scaring, and healing usually is fast. Within 2-3 days, it is not very noticeable. My electrologist is doing a great work to optimize power, while still have very high hair count which is just as important. On average, on the face, I get 700-800 hairs removed, and had even as much as 1000 hair follicles removed in 1 hour session. It all depends on the area and whether it is new area or re-clearing mostly clean area. So keep it in mind when you compare prices. If all you get in 1 hour is 300-400 hair follicles, it will take you twice as long to clear the face. It is painful, no doubt about it but pain is usually not the same. Some areas are more sensitive than others. The good thing is that since you work on one hair follicle at a time, if it successfully removed, chances are you will never see this hair again.

"If all you get in 1 hour is 300-400 hair follicles, it will take you twice as long to clear the face"

Partially true. If your tech is using the wrong size needle or incorrect modality or dont have the needle imbedded in the papilla or that hair is in its dying phase as opposed to its active stage or your tech isn't using enough juice and merely "plucking" your hair out, those hairs will be back. So rather than look for a tech that clears a large volume of hairs quickly, look for regrowth. Ideally, the very best will have a high "kill ratio". This is the amount of complete kills where the hair never returns. I would rather have 400 per hour removed with an 80 percent kill ratio than 1000 removed hourly with a 20 percent kill. In the final analysis, more hair is permanently killed in the former and the dermis is subjected to much less trauma. The best techs understand this is an art and they hone their skilks accordingly. So it's imperative you look at all the variables and ultimately, your permanent results. It's up to you to evaluate. Someone with a comparable amount of hair as another may finish in half the hours as the other with the identical equipment. This is wholly due to technician skill. Finding that person can represent the proverbial needle in a haystack. Many techs want to graze all over your face to lessen trauma. Though this is good, it is also more difficult to assess technician skill. Make your tech clear an inconspicuous area of about one half inch square and keep an eye on that area. How much regrowth are you experiencing? If it all comes back? they are merely plucking out hairs. Somethin you can do at home for free. If however you notice it becomes noticably sparser after every clearing, congratulations, you've found someone who knows what they are doing. This really is the only way to find out who you're dealing with. If my tech wont clear that small area? Then I would look further. Ultimately, these people work for you.
    Last edited by jentay1367; 11-16-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Diane for the sad news about Belle. As I said in my post I liked her and Irina they were both nice to me. I wasn't happy with Belle regarding the services but business and personal are two different things and I am sorry to hear of her passing. For the 10 hours I spent with her I got to know her a little bit and she seemed like a good person. We talked a lot trying to get my mind off the pain.

Regarding your comment about the loss to our community of a competent electrologist, while the loss of Belle is certainly sad on a personal note I would like to mention that many people in the cis community that provide these services are happy to work with us.

My experience after my session with Belle is that I simply called an electro salon / clinic in my area and told them why I was calling - stated that I am transgender and asked if they had anyone that would be interested in working with me.

Easy peasey. Really. They connected me with someone and I was her second trans client and now she has 5 total. That's part of the deal for any early or pre-transitioners reading this. Eventually you just have to deal with telling people that you are trans. It's going to come up.... alot. Name change, medical stuff, personal business on and on.

Anyway just call and say I am trans. Most will be fine and if you run into someone who is not well then give your money to someone that deserves it.
    Last edited by KymberlyOct; 11-16-2018 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo

Aspiring Member
    I’ve had 9 laser sessions and while it doesn’t sound as bad as the electro sessions, my face is wrecked for a couple weeks afterwards. Using an antibacterial ointment helps reduce the breakouts for the first 3 days. then i use sunblock and a sensitive skin moisturizer. both seem to help but i still have some varying pigmentation issues i hope fade once i finish laser. then on to electro for the white hairs.

everyone who says start hair removal early cause it takes forever speaks truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KymberlyOct View Post
    Eventually you just have to deal with telling people that you are trans....
    just call and say I am trans. Most will be fine and if you run into someone who is not well then give your money to someone that deserves it.
    That's what I did too. I called a local electrolysis place and said hello I'm trans so I'm going to need hair removal. A lot of it. No problem, when do you want to come in. If they hadn't I'd just go somewhere else.

Actually one of the staff told me she loves working with trans customers because she feels like she's really helping someone, rather than just doing a beauty treatment which much of their work is. She also said they get cis-male customers all the time for things like hairy cheeks, ears and "crazy old man eyebrows".

What Jentay said about electrolysis and _effective_ rate of removal... Done right, it's an iterative process. The first round is, of course, going to produce the most dramatic results. Shorter sessions are less traumatic and make it easier to gauge progress.

As for the "do I tell..." question, you don't have to volunteer that your trans. I didn't but I also didn't hesitate to answer when my electrologist asked "why" on my second visit. Think of him or her as a caregiver, who can do a better job when they have a more complete picture. Mine, bless her heart, immediately switched pronouns and changed my name on her records then and there. That sounds a like trivial detail, but shows a level of care and understanding that goes beyond the merely technical. You can't have that without the honesty.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 11-16-2018 at 12:45 PM.

LMAO, Yeah, I had my first session yesterday with Kelly's "caregiver." There was no need for her to ask "why" in my case. The initial consultation last week was all about my purpose. I am preparing for SRS.

As it turns out, she has had a lot of experience with the procedure I was there for. She estimates that it will take about four months at one hour per week to finish the job. Not fun at all. Electrolysis on the face is a piece of cake in comparison.

I will post more about this as I have time, probably a new thread.

Eeek! I will never complain about facial again.

Best of luck with it Jeri Ann. Another step on the way

The color of the hair and skin tone are important for laser and not for electrology. Electrolysis on my face has taken several hundred hours so far and about 5 plus years, on a medium thickness beard according to my electrologist who has had and still has many transgender and other male clients. Her normal rate per hour is around $60 and can be reduced lower ($50 for me) if one is going in for the full treatment over a few years. I still go in once every 4 weeks for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour. I had a mixed beard of dark, gray, graying, some red and a few blond hairs. Probably enough for dark hair laser removal. If I had done laser first, I would probably be done a few years back. So, first check with a laser place to get their opinion, actually, get a couple of opinions from different places. The good thing about laser is that they want you to have a close shave, so no special precautions on your part except for the red face after treatment.

I told my electrolysis technician, now a wonderful friend and Broadway play partner, to start of the darker hairs first and to just work all around my face to more or less reach the end at the same time. I did not want to be put in the position where I couldn't or didn't want to shave for a period of time and then have one very odd hairless spot on my face. She first went after the thicker hairs, we have a mix of thick and then hair all over our faces, plus all the potential different colors. My process was slow but very steady, since most hairs require several treatments over several sessions as they go through their growth cycles. I agree with Sarah that skipping a day or two of shaving for work will allow you to go during the week or first thing Saturday morning, also most electrologists, work at least a half day on Saturday. You could also stop shaving after Friday morning and have your standard weekly appointment on early Monday morning.

I have had minimal issues besides the pain of each zap. My skin is so old and skin damaged I doubt that anyone could pick any scars caused by electrolysis.

As most have said here already, start with laser if you can and then go to electrolysis. Over time that will get any dark hairs that grow back. Good luck!
    Last edited by AllieSF; 11-18-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks, Diane for letting us know about Belle. She was such an asset to our community. She will be missed. It was so nice to have met her. She was one of the best resources for our community and her location in Champaign was near me making it easy for myself and others downstate.

Regarding your comment about the loss to our community of a competent electrologist, while the loss of Belle is certainly sad on a personal note I would like to mention that many people in the cis community that provide these services are happy to work with us.
    Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. By "community," I meant this city, or geographical region. Not the "TG community." Other than Belle, there is only one other practicing electrologist within 50 miles or so, and neither her work habits nor technical results are held in very high esteem by the locals (which I can confirm first hand by having been a client for 3-1/2 years). With Belle's passing, there's just no one else to take good care of us within a practical distance.

I'm sure most electrologists have a number of TG clients, whether that is their primary focus or not. As long as they're tolerant, reasonably friendly and very competent, it doesn't really matter to me when choosing one.

- Diane

Makes sense Diane, thanks for clarifying. I consider this site to be a resource for those that are questioning gender issues or possibly considering transitioning so I just wanted to point out that finding an electrologist isn't very difficult. But I must admit it was a big deal to me making that phone call when I first started, so I just wanted to reassure those that are early on the path that it really isn't something to fear.

Thanks again Diane.

I must admit it was a big deal to me making that phone call when I first started, so I just wanted to reassure those that are early on the path that it really isn't something to fear.
    Yes and I'm one of those and we do appreciate it. I just completed my 3rd session and that's why I mentioned that cis-males have electrolysis for all kinds of reasons, so you're not necessarily outing yourself just by sitting in the waiting room.

One thing to consider for anyone considering facial hair removal. It is an expensive and time consuming process that has, in my opinion, only one drawback, if you change your mind partway through or post completion what issue are there except for never having to shave again and not being able to grow a mustache, beard or both. That to me is low risk if you have the money and time, and a good technician doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eemz View Post
    Yes and I'm one of those and we do appreciate it. I just completed my 3rd session and that's why I mentioned that cis-males have electrolysis for all kinds of reasons, so you're not necessarily outing yourself just by sitting in the waiting room.
    Thx for the acknowledgment Eemz. I agree that sitting in the waiting room may not out you to those in the waiting room but you do have to have the 'I'm Transgender' talk with the tech so that they know what your goals are. Also if you do fully transition or are non binary you want to know that they are supportive. You are going to see them ALOT. And I do mean ALOT

I know some people want to live as stealth as possible ( I have opinions on that but it's not the point here ) anyway there are going to be times in your transition that being stealth is not an option. I believe starting a relationship with a electrologist is one of those. Unless you are going for very few treatments which really isn't realistic.

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Wow, the thread explodes

Next week will be an initial consultation (free) and a patch test to check my skin/hair for suitability to Laser removal before going in a week to the day for the first session. The place I am going to has a transgender specialist (and I did book it under that guise), they handle most of the NHS appointments (i'm going in well in advance of even speaking to my GP about getting a referral to the GIC) for this area so I am confident that they know what they are doing.

Kym,

My electrologist treats everyone, including a lot of TS and CD folks, And, a lot of gay men who want hair free bodies, and, many straight men that just hate their ape like body hair and sometimes facial hair. So, since electrologists have seen it all if they have been around long enough, there is no need to say why one wants the treatment except for, I want to do it, or I hate that hair. However, that being said, being treated on the face for hundreds of hours over a few years, you definitely get to know one another if you are one who likes to talk a lot (me). Then one way or the other it will probably come out. My only message here is if there is no need to, for whatever reason, the client can keep their mouths shut about who they are and their true reasons for doing it. In my case, I have been going to see annual Broadway show programs (6-7 shows a season) for about 6 years with my electrologist, plus some ballets, a 10 day bike trip around Austria and several other activities. All because I met here under the needle! She knows more about my face, inside of my ears and nose than anyone else. Naturally we are good friends.

Thx Allie, yeah I guess I'm just saying you are going to get to know this person very well, and they are going to know you are transgender. Just tell them when you are discussing working with them. Just my opinion. I'm certainly not always right. Not sayin, just sayin. :-D

Yes definitely. And even in my limited experience, any time that I have been completely up front it made things easier both ways. They know exactly what I want and we can talk openly about the best way to achieve it. I don't have to make up weak ass excuses for what I'm doing, and they don't have to pretend to believe me. They can also suggest other services I might like to think about down the line, like shaping my eyebrows or lash tinting.

And aside from that - everyone on this forum already has far too many elephants in the room without adding more.