Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can losing weight become addictive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can losing weight become addictive?

I'm thinking that losing weight can become addictive. I was a little over 5'11" and 194 pounds when I put my mind toward losing weight. Over a relatively short period of time (I think it was about 4-5 weeks), I consciously began eating healthier and smaller portion sizes and exercising more. Consequently, I dropped from 194 pounds to around 165 pounds. My wife told me not to lose any more weight and pretty much insisted that I regain a little bit of weight and stay about 170 pounds. Well, now that business takes me away from home for long periods of time I've become focused again on losing weight. Reapplying my will power to eat even less and exercise even more, my weight decreased from 170 pounds to 165 pounds and and then onto tripping the scales at 158 pounds last week. Today, I weighed myself again and I'm 155 pounds. The weight loss has manifested itself with my hips (unfortunately) going from 40 inches to 38 inches, my chest going from 38 inches to 36 inches (that is 39 inches with forms) and my waist going from 34 inches to 30.5 inches. Moreover, my dress size went from 14 to 12 (essentially a 10 for hips and waist and 12 for bust) overall. Wearing only the top of a pair of control top pantyhose, my measurements when entered into a body shape calculator reveal that I'm right on the line between an "hour glass" and "rectangle" figure. I'm amazed that I've realized this shape while no longer wearing hip pads and a corset. But, now I'm tempted to lose even more weight. I'm getting somewhat concerned that I'm getting addicted to losing weight...is that possible and does anyone have similar experiences? Nikki p.s. my main focus presently is slimming my calves. They're too large IMO, although the wig boutique owner said she wishes she had my legs because hers were too something (I forget what she said...scrawny or something to that effect). But, I'm finding it a challenge getting them more slender.
    Last edited by nikkiwindsor; 10-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

I'd worry that "addicted to losing weight" might be another way of saying "anorexic" ...

Not saying you are, just that it's the first thought that came into my mind when you asked the question.

Me Too! Did pretty much the same thing years ago,it got so bad the wife said get off the diet before you hurt yourself, friends and coworkers started asking if I was sick or something. It was hard to give it up, my figure was great, and the clothes looked really good I thought. But in time the body fights back and will try to get back to your "normal" weight, so it's hard to maintain for long periods of time.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Platinum Member
    Yes. Like so many other behaviors, weight loss can become addictive. I know this from personal experience
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Isn’t addicted to losing weight called an “eating disorder”?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Isn’t addicted to losing weight called an “eating disorder”?
    Amen to that! Totally agree with Micki. The BMI calculator has your numbers within the normal range. With that dramatic weight loss I wonder what kind of nutrients your body is not getting. When I was 23-25 years old I was 175 pounds, and, much of it was military grade muscle. I wore a 38 Tall suit jacket. I had a 30 inch waist. Hips ???. Several years before that I was the same height and as little as 138 pounds. My wife saw a picture of me and termed it "our concentration camp look!" Did I have an eating disorder? No. My metabolism was just too high.

Personally, it sounds as if you are on the start of an eating disorder. No different than a woman thinking rail thin is in. I would suggest, if you're going down this path, you need to get annual checkups/blood work done. One of the things the body starts doing when it is starved is starting to break down muscle tissue. Listen to your wife and gain some weight.

Girlfriends...you have me a bit concerned about my weight loss since I'm vain in my appearance and I have OCD tendencies - I'm so much a perfectionist and want to look my very best. I'm happy with stomach but my calves are still too big. During the day, I frequently look at my legs and say to myself they need to be more slender. But, the wig boutique owner did say that my legs looked good. Maybe a bit thicker leg is ok. I know I have a sizeable thigh gap...but those dang calves....errr! Nikki...p.z. once I lose weight I have no trouble keeping it off b/c my appearance is so important to me that I'll do just about anything to look as good as I can. Until my recent desire and success in reducing my weight to 155 pounds, I was steadily at 165 pounds for well more than a year...it might even be going on two years.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If your weight is stabilized you'll be fine, Nikki. But, u need to realize your calves r 99% muscle. So, no amount of weight loss with affect them noticeably. The only way to lose that tissue is stop doing leg excersizes!

When I wanted a more fem figure I lost weight AND quit my gym!
    Because to me, muscles aren't fem!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Nikki, running has really slimmed my calves, I average about 20-25 miles a week and my calves have slimmed down nicely, no wide calf boots for this girl!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    I'm happy with stomach ... I know I have a sizeable thigh gap...but those dang calves....
    Yes, just be careful. I think you're fine right now but I'd be afraid you'll start to obsess on your calves and maybe you are not seeing them as they really are. It's not unusual for someone to see part of their body differently from reality. I think it's unlikely you have slender thighs and big fat calves... sort of like Popeye but with legs... I don't even know how you would do that on purpose if you wanted to

I visited with the Mrs the other day and as expected she commented several times on my weight loss. She's not too happy about it but she's not being too bothersome about it. She knows I'm happier fitting into my dresses and she understands that I'm as bothered by weight as she is. She realizes that I share much in common with her regarding my feminine spirit. Losing weight and looking good in our clothes is a concern to both of us.

In a word yes aprt from the fact the body is being deprived of vital nutrients and vitamins, IMHO stop losing anymore weight!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are dancing with the devil so to speak. I would listen to your wife because she is trying to help.
    Sounds like you are heading down the same path a female friend of mine went and she is no longer with us due to anorexia.
    She went from being healthy to thinking she needed to lose weight and get fit. It consumed her time and eventually she lost her life to it.

I did lose about 30 pounds this year, I did it 2 to 3 pounds a week and its normal. did not gain it back and did not lose more because I was at my ideal BMO.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Calves are all muscle so not much you can do about that but I think the fact you have lost weight you notice the calves look bigger than they used to even tho they are still actually the same size.
    So please don't step off the deep end and obsess over them.

Occasional CD Alexandra Collins's Avatar
    Although I've never had a weight problem (currently in mid 50's), I find that cycling is a good way to stay in shape, and maintain good muscle tone that looks really good, especially legs!

Assuming you haven't developed an eating disorder, I'll say this...

When I went through divorce I was already thin. During that time and for a couple of years after I just wasn't hungry. I was obviously too skinny for a male. Probably too skinny for a woman my age. I was more interested in what I looked like as a woman, so I was loving it! And, like you, wanted to lose more. It was easy because I just wasn't hungry, and had gotten so used to not eating much that even when I was eating something I really liked I got full on practically nothing.

Everybody commented on how skinny I was. As a male I looked like there was something wrong with me, and I'd even agree. As a woman I looked better than I had in years. Everything I tried on looked good. I got frequents compliments and positive comments.

It was all temporary. When I stabilized mentally I started eating normally... and then some. Before long I was heavier than I'd ever been. I'm now back down to about where I was pre-divorce. I look better as a male. I'm at a tolerable weight for a female, but I'd still like to lose a little. Again, assuming you haven't developed something serious, I'd think you could just enjoy it for a while, knowing that nature will take it's course soon enough.

BTW, I've always had little boobs, even when I was at my skinniest. When I gained weight my boobs got more than their share. I worried that when I lost weight I'd lose it in my boobs first. Thankfully that didn't happen, and although I'm at about the same weight I was before the divorce, my boobs are noticeably bigger.

Nikki,

Go see your doctor. Get them to measure your height and weight, from that they should be able to advise whether or not you are under weight for your frame size. Be advised by their opinion.

The very fact that you are focused on loosing even more weight does ring alarm bells.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I agree with Helen, see your doctor for a total physical, explaining your weight loss and desire to lose more in specific areas. You CAN work with your doctor to achieve your goals and stay healthy if you keep in touch with him, in my opinion.

I wouldn't say it's addictive, just that after a certain period of time when behaving in a certain way, something just feels more natural and becomes part of our normal behavior. Way back in the 80's, I learned that if you can keep doing something for about 20 days, it's yours. And so when I dieted, or exercised, I would just promise to myself that I would stick it out for at least 20 days. And it turned out to be correct. After that time, I would follow the behaviors that I had done for that 20 days, as it became the norm for me.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    I can relate, because for me, that led to anorexia nervosa as a diagnosis. My idle weight was 130, but the catch was that it conflicted with my gender identity. The therapist said I was too small for my height, which is 5'9.

I'm going to try stop obsessing over my calves. And it's not what I want to hear that calves are all muscle and there is likely little I can to make them thinner. If true (and it likely is) I'm not happy. Losing weight just about everywhere else probably has made them look bigger. I think I'll give one last effort to see what I can do. I'll do calve stretches, increase my running distance and try bringing my weight down to 149 pounds but no further. I should hopefully will be content at 5'11" and 150 pounds and fingers crossed, at least more toned calves if they're not any smaller. Off to go running!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nikki, it seems counter intuitive to me to think excersizing a muscle will make it smaller.

But, I'm happy to hear you're holding your weight at a reasonable 150 lbs!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

i think so... but just dont lose too much weight its bad for health!!

After I lost 70+ pounds (over 8 months) some people thought I was sick / dying. While the clothing looked great, I regained a few pounds to look "healthier".